Adaptec 2940W, fdisk problem

Post by Thad F. Pec » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Ok, Ive been following the news postings for several months about
getting an Adaptec 2940W & 2940 SCSI controllers to work under Linux.  I
have downloaded the AIC7XXX patch fro remus.nrl.navy.mil and the
Adaptec 2940 patch from Infomagic.  After I use rawrite to make
the bootdisk I boot up and my SCSI drives are recognized but I cant
get 'fdisk' to partition my drive to continue the installation.  I receive
the following error when I give 'fdisk' the new partition command 'n'.

no free sectors available

Infomagic says their patch is only for the Adaptec 2940 not the 2940W.

I would greatly appreciate any help on how I can make this work.

Thanks
Thad Peck

Adaptec 2940W, fdisk problem

Post by Thad F. Pec » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Ok, Ive been following the news postings for several months about
getting an Adaptec 2940W SCSI controller to work under Linux.  I
have downloaded the AIC7XXX patch fro remus.nrl.navy.mil and the
Adaptec 2940 patch from Infomagic.  After I use rawrite to make
the bootdisk I boot up and my SCSI drives are recognized but I cant
get "fdisk" to partition my drive to continue the installation.  I receive
the following error when I give "fdisk" the new partition command "n".

no free sectors available

Infomagic says their patch is only for the Adaptec 2940 not the 2940W.

I would greatly appreciate any help on how I can make this work.

Thanks
Thad Peck

Adaptec 2940W, fdisk problem

Post by Dane Jasp » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

You need the 'w' driver for the 2940, it's different.  Included in the 1.3
release path, just get it from tsx or funet.

Dj

1. Adaptec 2940W/fdisk problems

I just got Linux unleashed which a contains a cdrom of Slackware 2.2.
With the bootimage that is provided, I can't see any devices (I believe
a problem with the Adaptec 2940W controller).

fdisk on /dev/sda fails. I have been looking around these newgroups and have
tried to ftp from remus.nrl.navy.mil without any luck.

I need some help. What are my options? Any pointers/suggestions will be
much appreciated. Thanks.

Sonu

2. 2.4.8-pre8: esssolo1.o insmod fail

3. Adaptec 2940W, fdisk problem

4. How to find the logical end ot tape with 8mm drive

5. 2940W, fdisk problem

6. Using ZIP drive across UNIX hardware platforms?

7. Adaptec 2940W problem

8. High-res-timers part 2 (x86 platform code) take 8

9. Problem w/ Adaptec 2940W controller and Red Hat 4.2 install

10. Install Problems - 2940w Adaptec CDROM

11. At last, my Adaptec 2940W problem SOLVED!

12. 3Com 3C905, Adaptec 2940W and AMI Bios problems

13. Adaptec SCSI 2940W problem