RedHat 6.2 and Adaptec AHA 1542

Post by root » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
after installing RedHat 6.2 on my system, the Adaptec AHA 1542 ISA
SCSI-Controller is not detected. Do i have to compile a new kernel or is
there a way to load only the module?

thanks in advance
tobi

RedHat 6.2 and Adaptec AHA 1542

Post by Guy Maskal » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Tobi,
you may want to compile a new kernel with just the support you want/need
in.

What version of the kernel are you using? What happens when you call
'/sbin/lsmod -a' before trying to access the scsi bus, what happens when
you call that after trying to access the bus?

If you try and access and then check with lsmod and see only scsi_mod and
sg (for generic devices such as a scanner or sd for disks) have been loaded
then if you make sure that 'alias scsi_hostadaptor aha1542' is in
/etc/conf.modules and it still isn't finding the scsi card, do this.
1) check that scsi_mod has loaded (along with sg or whatever)
2) issue the command '/sbin/insmod aha1542'
Hopefully there should then be a brief pause as it polls the card, you
should be able to see the module loaded with lsmod, and you should see your
scsi devices in /proc/scsi/scsi.

If this works but you have to keep doing a manual '/sbin/insmod aha1542'
then adding the line 'post-install scsi_mod /sbin/insmod aha1542' should
cause aha1542 to automatically be loaded after scsi_mod is loaded.

Guy

Post by Peter T. Breue » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

: after installing RedHat 6.2 on my system, the Adaptec AHA 1542 ISA
: SCSI-Controller is not detected. Do i have to compile a new kernel or is
: there a way to load only the module?

Is there a way?  What do you mean by that?  You load modules the same
way you always load modules: with insmod or modprobe (or neither, just
kerneld/kmod).

Of course, if the scsi disk is the medium on which you store your
modules, you'll have to either use an init ramdisk or compile the
driver into the kernel. Bootlaces problem.

Peter

1. Adaptec AHA-1542 SCSI problem

I installed RedHat 5.1 using an IDE CD-ROM drive, and since upgraded to one
SCSI CD reader and one SCSI CD re-writer.  I run these on an Adaptec
AHA-1542 host adapter.  I've had no luck getting Linux to see this card.

Please note that my computer's PNP bios sees the ISA SCSI card along with
other cards on the ISA bus just before LILO pops up.  I also have had this
setup working flawlessly in Windows for quite some time.  I think I have the
hardware installed correctly.

Please help me ?

I've tried the following things:
-Turned SCSI BIOS on and off

-Issued modprobe /lib/modules/preferred/aha1542.o
    ***This may help for the solution:  When I type this command, modprobe
returns an error that states,         "ERROR: DEVICE OR RESOURCE BUSY."

-Looked through all loaded modules with "lsmod" and all active processes
with "ps -ax".  I see no reason Linux would say it's busy.

-Examined boot messages.  There's a line that says "SCSI: 0 host(s) detected
total".  There are no errors surrounding this statement, so I'm assuming
Linux doesn't even see the card.

-Issued "isapnp".  The card is not seen by this command.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice!

2. Knoppix saves the day

3. Adaptec AHA 1542 prob

4. allocating sk_buff

5. Installation RH7.1 on Adaptec AHA-1542

6. Software on CDE

7. RH 7.1 and Adaptec AHA-1542

8. Redhat 7 Qmail and Vmailmgr account problems

9. Adaptec AHA-1542

10. adaptec AHA-1542 scsi

11. How do you specify parameters for Adaptec AHA 1542 during installation?

12. OpenBSD 2.5 boot fails with Adaptec AHA-1542

13. Adaptec AHA 1542 CF