: (Lifted from my nephew who is presently denied access to News Groups:)
: Subject: Large IDE hard drives.
: I am unable to access my large IDE drive. Yes, I have read the "big-ide"
: help document (which did contain useful information).
: I have just installed the Slackware 3.0.0 (ELF) from the 5 CD-ROM set.
: I have 1.2GB(hda) and 200MB(hdb) IDE drives on my system. I have installed
: Linux on hdb (200MB), dedicating the drive to a ext2 file system and a swap
: I have an fairly old system, so I have to use EZ drive software to access
: my large IDE drive under DOS/Windows 95. I believe it resides in the boot
: I currently boot Linux from a floppy.
: I have added the lines:
: append="hd=2477,16,63 hd=683,16,38"
: to my "lilo.conf" file, and executed lilo to update the boot sector (of the
: floppy I boot from).
: When I boot I receive messages indicating that the above lines have indeed
: gone into effect.
: Incidently, when I boot, I get the message:
: "No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it. Sorry."
: If I try to mount my large drive (which is unfortunatly, partitioned/formatted
: as one large DOS [VFAT] drive) with
: mount -t msdos /dev/hda /mnt
: I receive the error message:
: "wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hda"
: I have no trouble mounting DOS floppies (/dev/fd0).
: If I run Linux fdisk, go to expert mode and change the heads and cylinders
: to the "bogus" values (i.e., 618 cyls, 64 heads), then look at the partition
: table, I get several errors. Under DOS or Windows, Norton Disk Doctor says
: that my partition table (and everything else about my drive) is fine.
: Any help accessing my large drive would be appreciated.
: Ed can be reached directly at:
: He and I thank you.
Last week I installed a Seagate 850Mb HDD as my master HD (hda) which
currently is partitioned such that the first 414Mb are DOS. In addition,
EZ software was used to allow my old ISA 486/33 system to see the drive.
The second drive, a 200Mb WD HD has two partitions: hdb1 is a 10Mb linux
swap partition, and hdb2 (the rest of the drive 190Mb) is Native Linux ext2
partition (Slackware 2.3, linux 1.2.8). Another minor difference is that
I use loadlin 1.5 to run linux from dos after the system has booted.
I was unable to mount the DOS HD
After playing A LOT with fdisk I finally got it to work! Although I don't
know how legitimate this solution is, but it works fine!
When I originally installed the 850Mb drive, I used DOS fdisk (MS DOS 6.2)
and created a primary partition using:
Starting Cylinder: 1
Ending Cylinder: +414M
N.B. I have not allocated the entire drive.
I set up loadlin to pass on the HD parameters to linux with "hda=cyl,hd,sec"
(the physical real drive geometry) for my drive. In addition, these same
parameters are set in the CMOS setup of my system.
I boot up linux. The hda and the partition hda1 are seen by linux. If I
type "fdisk -l", linux sees the drive and the partition although it complains
about >1024 cylinders and unallocated sector and bad starting and ending....
Moreover, fdisk states that the whole drive is hda1 i.e. all 850Mb!
Anyway, I then used "fdisk /dev/hda" and I deleted the partition and then
created the partition again using starting cylinder 1 and ending +414M
(as I did under DOS fdisk). Go into expert mode and change the cyl and hd
as the readme.ide documentation says to. Go back to main level, change the ID
to 6 (DOS 16 bit partition), verify (I got a xxxx sectors unallocated error)
and then write new partition table to disk and reboot.
DOS booted up fine (including the EZ software so I can use my large HD).
After booting linux from loadlin, I type fdisk -l and it reports that
other operating systems may have problem seeing the drive, etc...
But there are no errors and the partition is reported correctly (414Mb).
I can also now mount the drive and use it without any problems.
To test this further, I created another 100Mb DOS partition as hda2 using DOS
fdisk (created an extended partition, a logical partition in it starting
the partition after the first partition and ending +100Mb). Booted linux
and using fdisk created another primary partition (/dev/hda2) starting after
hda1 and ending +100Mb. Continue as described above and rebooted.
Everything worked great!
I hope this helps, it works just fine for me. I realize this is not exactly
the best way to go about this (perhaps), but I experimented and it worked!
If anyone has any other suggestions or a better way of solving this please
post it, I would like to know too.