Large IDE hard drive & "Big IDEs" HOWTO

Post by Garv Austi » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

(Lifted from my nephew who is presently denied access to News Groups:)

Subject: Large IDE hard drives.

 Help!

 I am unable to access my large IDE drive.  Yes, I have read the "big-ide"
 help document (which did contain useful information).

 I have just installed the Slackware 3.0.0 (ELF) from the 5 CD-ROM set.

 I have 1.2GB(hda) and 200MB(hdb) IDE drives on my system.  I have installed
 Linux on hdb (200MB), dedicating the drive to a ext2 file system and a swap
 partition.

 I have an fairly old system, so I have to use EZ drive software to access
 my large IDE drive under DOS/Windows 95.  I believe it resides in the boot
 sector.

 I currently boot Linux from a floppy.

 I have added the lines:

   append="hd=2477,16,63 hd=683,16,38"

   linear

 to my "lilo.conf" file, and executed lilo to update the boot sector (of the
 floppy I boot from).

 When I boot I receive messages indicating that the above lines have indeed
 gone into effect.

 Incidently, when I boot, I get the message:

   "No BIOS32 extensions present.  This release still depends on it. Sorry."

 If I try to mount my large drive (which is unfortunatly, partitioned/formatted
 as one large DOS [VFAT] drive) with

    mount -t msdos /dev/hda /mnt

 I receive the error message:

    "wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hda"

 I have no trouble mounting DOS floppies (/dev/fd0).

 If I run Linux fdisk, go to expert mode and change the heads and cylinders
 to the "bogus" values (i.e., 618 cyls, 64 heads), then look at the partition
 table, I get several errors.  Under DOS or Windows, Norton Disk Doctor says
 that my partition table (and everything else about my drive) is fine.

 Any help accessing my large drive would be appreciated.

Ed can be reached directly at:

 He  and I thank you.

Post by David C. Wos » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00

[...]

:

Ed:

Last week I installed a Seagate 850Mb HDD as my master HD (hda) which
currently is partitioned such that the first 414Mb are DOS.  In addition,
EZ software was used to allow my old ISA 486/33 system to see the drive.
The second drive, a 200Mb WD HD has two partitions: hdb1 is a 10Mb linux
swap partition, and hdb2 (the rest of the drive 190Mb) is Native Linux ext2
partition (Slackware 2.3, linux 1.2.8).  Another minor difference is that
I use loadlin 1.5 to run linux from dos after the system has booted.
I was unable to mount the DOS HD
After playing A LOT with fdisk I finally got it to work! Although I don't
know how legitimate this solution is, but it works fine!

When I originally installed the 850Mb drive, I used DOS fdisk (MS DOS 6.2)
and created a primary partition using:
Starting Cylinder: 1
Ending Cylinder: +414M

N.B. I have not allocated the entire drive.

I set up loadlin to pass on the HD parameters to linux with "hda=cyl,hd,sec"
(the physical real drive geometry) for my drive.  In addition, these same
parameters are set in the CMOS setup of my system.

I boot up linux.  The hda and the partition hda1 are seen by linux.  If I
type "fdisk -l", linux sees the drive and the partition although it complains
about >1024 cylinders and unallocated sector and bad starting and ending....
Moreover, fdisk states that the whole drive is hda1 i.e. all 850Mb!
Anyway, I then used "fdisk /dev/hda" and I deleted the partition and then
created the partition again using starting cylinder 1 and ending +414M
(as I did under DOS fdisk).  Go into expert mode and change the cyl and hd
as the readme.ide documentation says to.  Go back to main level, change the ID
to 6 (DOS 16 bit partition), verify (I got a xxxx sectors unallocated error)
and then write new partition table to disk and reboot.
DOS booted up fine (including the EZ software so I can use my large HD).
After booting linux from loadlin, I type fdisk -l and it reports that
other operating systems may have problem seeing the drive, etc...
But there are no errors and the partition is reported correctly (414Mb).
I can also now mount the drive and use it without any problems.

To test this further, I created another 100Mb DOS partition as hda2 using DOS
fdisk (created an extended partition, a logical partition in it starting
the partition after the first partition and ending +100Mb).  Booted linux
and using fdisk created another primary partition (/dev/hda2) starting after
hda1 and ending +100Mb.  Continue as described above and rebooted.
Everything worked great!

I hope this helps, it works just fine for me.  I realize this is not exactly
the best way to go about this (perhaps), but I experimented and it worked!
If anyone has any other suggestions or a better way of solving this please
post it, I would like to know too.

Good luck,

Dave

1. Problem resolved: "Big" IDE drive works

I asked many questions last month about getting my "Big" IDE drive to
work with Linux w/o having to reformat the sucker as described in the
"Big" IDE FAQs. Well, I finally got it working. It was a hardware
solution, not a software solution.
I have a Promise DC200 disk controller card that only supports hard
drives <= 1024 cylinders. My "big" hard drive is more than 1024, but DOS
had no problem with it. I found out that Promise made some changes to
their ROMs for my card, which I ordered up. These new ROMs allowed Linux
to correctly "see" my hard drive. And now everything is fine.
FYI

Greg

--
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
: Greg Poulos          . "Awful cold & dark like a dungeon  :

: <finger for PGP key> .  'fore the day"       - R. Hunter  :
'-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-'

2. .plan files

3. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

4. Apache Wildcard SubDomain mapping to file tree

5. LILO at stops at "LI" stage (4 IDE & 1 SCSI drives)

6. diald won't hang up?

7. Maxtor 7 gig IDE - shows up as "non-IDE" - help?

8. Crypto Accelerator 500 - Incompatible Apache Version

10. "Boot partition too big" & "Too many cylinders"

11. "System too big" & details on console.c "Illegal asm or bug".

12. (Q): booting "large" ide disks?