Can't set Seagate drive as slave

Post by Paul Shi » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

   I currently have a Seagate Medalist Pro setup as Master and an old
Western Digital as slave.  The slave jumper is on the WD and I
didn't use any jumpers on the Seagate to make it master.  Aware BIOS
recognizes them as master and slave.
   Anyway, I want to install Linux.  So I bought a Maxtor 17 GB drive.  I
planned to use that as my boot drive and have Win98 on that and use the
Seagate (6.4GB) for Linux.  After setting the Maxtor as master and
putting the slave jumper on the Seagate, BIOS does not see either drive.
I can have the Maxtor alone as master, the Seagate as master with a
Maxtor slave, but I can't have it the other way around.  The 2nd IDE
channel is being used by my 2 CD drives (ROM and RW).
   I could continue to use the Seagate for Windows and use the Maxtor
for Linux with some DOS partitions on it, but that's not how I want it.  I
want this to work.  Thanks.

--
Paul Shinn        "Don't laugh at pain;  Laugh with it."   ,___o

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~pshinn/                        (*)/'(*)

1. Problem setting up NIS 'slave' servers.

I have NIS set up and working under RH7.2, but I cannot get the
'slave' servers to work properly.

There appears to be *two* separate problems:

1) If I try to start ypxfrd on the master server the "normal" way:

%/etc/rc.d/init.d/ypxfrd start

then I get these errors:

Starting YP map server: execvp: No such file or directory
                                                           [FAILED]

FWIW, this leaves a lock in /var/subsys.

2) If I bypass problem #1 by running the daemon directly (as root):

%/usr/sbin/rpc.ypxfrd --debug

And then try to initialize one of the 'slave' servers:

%/usr/lib/yp/ypinit -s <master-node-name>

I get a stream of messages like this on the slave:

Transferring protocols.bynumber...
Trying ypxfrd ...call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Timed out
 (failed, fallback to enumeration)
Transferring services.byservicename...
Trying ypxfrd ...call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Timed out
 (failed, fallback to enumeration)
.
.
.

and debug info like this on the master:

ypproc_null() [From: <IP>:727]
        xfrdomain=<yp-domain-name>
        xfrmap=protocols.bynumber
        xfrmap_filename=protocols.bynumber
connect from <IP>
ypproc_null() [From: <IP>:728]
        xfrdomain=<yp-domain-name>
        xfrmap=services.byservicename
        xfrmap_filename=services.byservicename
connect from <IP>
.
.
.

The service seems to actually be there on the master:

%rpcinfo -p <master-node-name>
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
.
. ... a bunch of stuff, including ypserv, ypbind, and yppasswdd ...
.
 600100069    1   udp    617  fypxfrd
 600100069    1   tcp    619  fypxfrd

Also:

%rpcinfo -u <master-node-name> 600100069
program 600100069 version 1 ready and waiting

%rpcinfo -t <master-node-name> 600100069
program 600100069 version 1 ready and waiting

A google on this problem draws several suggestions of checking for
firewall blocks, but there supposedly isn't any firewall between
the two nodes in question.

So... what's wrong here?

Version info:

 o Red Hat Linux 7.2, all post-release security updates applied.
 o kernel 2.4.9-31
 o ypserv-1.3.12-2

Thanks,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

2. Sorting Logical Volumes in Volume Group

3. Newbie question: hard drive set a slave.

4. Changing clock for the summer time

5. Seagate's TapeStor 8GB SCSI DAT Tape Drive and Linux 1.2.39

6. Keyboard trouble with 2.1.131 kernel and XF86FBDev server

7. Ultrastor 34F and Seagate drive (I/O set at 340 and not working.)

8. c++ header files not found

9. Seagate scsi drive - How to set the ID?

10. It's not bad canned meat...

11. Linux and Seagate's EZ Drive??

12. 4GB Drives: Who's better Seagate or Quantum