Help me buy the RIGHT Sound Card!!! SoundBlaster???

Help me buy the RIGHT Sound Card!!! SoundBlaster???

Post by Brad Norma » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Which is the most standard Linux sound card?
Should I stay away from PNP?

If I was to buy a Sound Blaster then which one?

If you have read my earlier posts then you know
that I am building a system for Linux, WinNT, & Win95.

I am looking for the best card which will work with
each OS.

Thanks - Brad

Help me buy the RIGHT Sound Card!!! SoundBlaster???

Post by Alex Butch » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Which is the most standard Linux sound card?

Probably the genuine Creative Sound Blaster 16 or the GUS.

The deciding factor with me was that I don't do much sound stuff and
most of that would be with DOS games, which at the time, generally
supported the SB16 better. The SB16 was also ~1/2 the price of a GUS.

If you're into demos, or sequencing in a big way, the GUS is arguably
the better buy. For ease of use, support, compatibility and VFM, the
SB16 is a winner.

Quote:>Should I stay away from PNP?

If you can, yes. If you can't, cough up for the commercial version of
the Unix Sound System (pretty cheap, ISTR) or be prepared to play
around with the isapnptools package. :)

Quote:>If I was to buy a Sound Blaster then which one?

I went for a SB16, against the recommendation of my linux.advocate. He
had a GUS. :)

Quote:

>If you have read my earlier posts then you know
>that I am building a system for Linux, WinNT, & Win95.

>I am looking for the best card which will work with
>each OS.

AFAIK, the SB16 is supported by all three and OS/2 as well. I've used
it with W3.x, W95, Linux and OS/2.

Quote:

>Thanks - Brad

Regards,
Alex.
--
I'm looking for employment in Bristol, Bath, Reading or Cambridge, UK.
Please see <http://www.cse.bris.ac.uk/~ccajb/cv.html> for more details