1. Boot disk problems: Am I a moron, or is my system not supported?
I have the Slackware 3.3 and Red Hat 4.2 CDs. I've tried making boot disks
using the latest copies from the Sunsite archives, always without success.
When I try just pressing enter on the Red Hat boot disk, it loads for
about five seconds then gives me a "Boot Failed. Press any key to
I've tried two different Slackware disks: the bare, and the SoundBlaster
CD-ROM. I've tried each with a ram disk and without a ramdisk. It seems to
recognize all my hardware, then asks me to mount the file system disk; I
keep the boot disk floppy in. It gives me a message about VFS mounting the
drive, then nothin'. Nothing at all. No login prompt. It still lets me
type and all, but I'm just typing into blank lines.
So, am I a moron, or is there something whacked out here? Am I not doing
something right with the Slackware disks?
I'm prone to suspecting my system; it's a 486-66 with 8mb memory. Where it
gets really weird is this: the mother board is an EISA/ISA/VLB
combination. It's not an EISA motherboard with VLB slots; it's got a few
EISA slots, a few ISA slots, and a pair of VLB slots. It also has an old
BIOS that doesn't support EIDE, and my primary drive is a 1.6gb using
EZ-DRIVE to support it; Slackware seemed to recognize this just fine.
Any ideas, or should I just wait 'till I get a new computer, hopefully
Mike Stucka / mstucka at math.luc.edu
"We hear about constitutional rights, free speech, and the free press.
Every time I hear these words, I say to myself, 'That man is a Red,
that man is a communist. You never hear a real American talk like
that.'" -- Frank Hague, New York World, Telegram, April 2, 1938
2. Better web browser than Netscape.
3. This clone thing...am I stupid, or am I right?
4. Which Kernel for sound and cdrom
5. Problem of xinetd vs. inetd
6. SMP Support: What am I missing?
7. RHL and NT4 boot problem
8. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...
9. Am I touchy? Or am I right?
10. Am I seeing IPv5, or am I hallucinating?
11. OK, so how am I supposed to know my support contract info?
12. I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....