Sandisk SDDR31 USB Help needed

Post by Schuber » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 23:13:13

I want to access my compactflash memory card via the sandisk SDDR31
Reader (USB) to the linux system.
I'm using SuSE Distr.+ Kernel 2.2.16 and compiled the USB-modules
(Besemodule and the Mass Storage Module).
From the Internet I know that the SDDR31 is supported. I don't know if
it is running with the mass storage module that came with the
distribution.

Something is wrong. Basiscally the usb-port is recognized( see following
excerpt from /var/log/messages)

linux kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
linux kernel: usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USB
driver.
linux kernel: hub.c: already running port 2 disabled by hub (EMI?),
re-enabling...
linux kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
linux kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
linux kernel: usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USB
driver.asfdasf

Is there a howto available that solves the problem or do you hve some
advice.

Thanks in advance

Christian

Sandisk SDDR31 USB Help needed

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:34:19

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:13:13 +0200, Schubert staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:>I want to access my compactflash memory card via the sandisk SDDR31
>Reader (USB) to the linux system.  I'm using SuSE Distr.+ Kernel 2.2.16
>and compiled the USB-modules (Besemodule and the Mass Storage Module).

USB support did not fully stabilize in the 2.2.x series until kernel
2.2.18.  SuSE's 2.2.16 with USB patches isn't quite up to snuff; for
instance, I have a USB gamepad that doesn't work at all with their
kernel yet works on a 2.4.3 kernel.

Quote:>Something is wrong. Basiscally the usb-port is recognized( see following
>excerpt from /var/log/messages)

>linux kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
>linux kernel: usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USB
>driver.
>linux kernel: hub.c: already running port 2 disabled by hub (EMI?),
>re-enabling...
>linux kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
>linux kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
>linux kernel: usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USB
>driver.

Did you "modprobe usb-storage"?  This message is telling you that the
USB base system found a device, but said base system doesn't take care
of auto-loading the appropriate module for that device.  A user-space
utility called "hotplug" is supposed to take care of that, but from the
hotplug project site, it's not quite all there yet for 2.2.x kernels.

Try loading usb-storage , plugging in the device, and then attempting to
access /dev/sdX or /dev/sdX1 , where X will be "a" unless you have other
SCSI devices attached.  HTH, bonne chance....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Sandisk SDDR31 USB Help needed

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:17:24

Quote:> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:13:13 +0200, Schubert staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
>>I want to access my compactflash memory card via the sandisk SDDR31
>>Reader (USB) to the linux system.  I'm using SuSE Distr.+ Kernel 2.2.16
>>and compiled the USB-modules (Besemodule and the Mass Storage Module).
> USB support did not fully stabilize in the 2.2.x series until kernel
> 2.2.18.  SuSE's 2.2.16 with USB patches isn't quite up to snuff; for

I happily ported the 2.2.18 usb stuff back to 2.2.15 (then found out
later there was an official patch). It works fine because it IS the
same. The port consisted of adding a few macros to supply functions
that 2.2.15 didn't have - the only thing I couldn't do was the ibmcia
(I think I recall) which required physical memory mapping that
I didn't want to go near.

Quote:> instance, I have a USB gamepad that doesn't work at all with their
> kernel yet works on a 2.4.3 kernel.

Maybe it also needs some of the physmem support. But comparing it
against 2.4.3 isn't fair. I'm very happy with the way the back-port
works.

Quote:>>linux kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
>>linux kernel: usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USB

Well, seems he forgot to load a driver!

Quote:>>driver.
>>linux kernel: hub.c: already running port 2 disabled by hub (EMI?),
>>re-enabling...
>>linux kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
>>linux kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
>>linux kernel: usb.c: This device is not recognized by any installed USB
>>driver.
> Did you "modprobe usb-storage"?  This message is telling you that the
> USB base system found a device, but said base system doesn't take care
> of auto-loading the appropriate module for that device.  A user-space
> utility called "hotplug" is supposed to take care of that, but from the

I've never heard of it.

Quote:> hotplug project site, it's not quite all there yet for 2.2.x kernels.
> Try loading usb-storage , plugging in the device, and then attempting to
> access /dev/sdX or /dev/sdX1 , where X will be "a" unless you have other
> SCSI devices attached.  HTH, bonne chance....

Sounds good advice. Visiting the linux-usb.org pages is also on his
itinerary.

Peter

Sandisk SDDR31 USB Help needed

Post by Dances With Cro » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:42:22

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:17:24 +0200, Peter T. Breuer staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

>> USB support did not fully stabilize in the 2.2.x series until kernel
>> 2.2.18.  SuSE's 2.2.16 with USB patches isn't quite up to snuff; for

>I happily ported the 2.2.18 usb stuff back to 2.2.15 (then found out
>later there was an official patch). It works fine because it IS the
>same. The port consisted of adding a few macros to supply functions
>that 2.2.15 didn't have - the only thing I couldn't do was the ibmcia
>(I think I recall) which required physical memory mapping that
>I didn't want to go near.

>> instance, I have a USB gamepad that doesn't work at all with their
>> kernel yet works on a 2.4.3 kernel.

>Maybe it also needs some of the physmem support. But comparing it
>against 2.4.3 isn't fair. I'm very happy with the way the back-port
>works.

[snip]

*sigh*  I am a bonehead; the USB gamepad works just fine with SuSE's
patched kernel if you're looking at /dev/input/js0 (major 13, minor 0)
or /dev/js0 is a symlink to /dev/input/js0 , or /dev/js0 has major 13,
minor 0 instead of major 15, minor 0.  I made the symlink on my desktop,
then completely forgot about it when trying the gamepad on my laptop.