emachines m6807 media reader (compact flash & secure digital)

emachines m6807 media reader (compact flash & secure digital)

Post by TCM » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:51:56



How to make the builtin 6-in-1 Media Reader (Compact Flash (CF),
Secure Digital (SD), ...) readers of the Emachines M6807 work on linux
2.6.7-r11?
What program is needed to read and write to the SD and CF?
 
 
 

emachines m6807 media reader (compact flash & secure digital)

Post by Peter Christ » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:08:04



> How to make the builtin 6-in-1 Media Reader (Compact Flash (CF),
> Secure Digital (SD), ...) readers of the Emachines M6807 work on linux
> 2.6.7-r11?
> What program is needed to read and write to the SD and CF?

I don't know if its the same unit as used in my Mitac clone, but if it is, then
we have a problem. Its made by a company called Ene (look at lspci -v) who
apparently refuse to release any information about the interface or even Linux
binary drivers, and ignore all e-mails!

From what I gather, quite a few machines now use this interface....

Looks like we're going to have to wait until someone reverse engineers it.....

--
Pete

(make the obvious amendments to reply!)

 
 
 

emachines m6807 media reader (compact flash & secure digital)

Post by David N. Welt » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:13:22




> > How to make the builtin 6-in-1 Media Reader (Compact Flash (CF),
> > Secure Digital (SD), ...) readers of the Emachines M6807 work on linux
> > 2.6.7-r11?
> > What program is needed to read and write to the SD and CF?

> I don't know if its the same unit as used in my Mitac clone, but if it is, then
> we have a problem. Its made by a company called Ene (look at lspci -v) who
> apparently refuse to release any information about the interface or even Linux
> binary drivers, and ignore all e-mails!

> From what I gather, quite a few machines now use this interface....

Oh, this sounds like an excellent candidate for the Incompatibility
List (see URL below).  If you don't feel like adding it yourself, do
send me as much information as possible (lspci, etc) and I'll put it
there myself.

Thanks!
--
David N. Welton
Personal:                   http://dedasys.com/davidw/
Apache Tcl:                 http://tcl.apache.org/
Free Software:              http://dedasys.com/freesoftware/
Linux Incompatibility List: http://leenooks.com/

 
 
 

emachines m6807 media reader (compact flash & secure digital)

Post by Peter Christ » Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:38:54



> Oh, this sounds like an excellent candidate for the Incompatibility
> List (see URL below).  If you don't feel like adding it yourself, do
> send me as much information as possible (lspci, etc) and I'll put it
> there myself.

> Thanks!

OK, here's the details:

lspci -v:

00:09.1 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc: Unknown device 0510
 Subsystem: Mitac: Unknown device 8355
 Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 18
 I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
 Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 2

lspci -n:

00:09.1 Class 0501: 1524:0510

You might also want to include the wlan device from the same computer. Its an
Agere mini pci 0508 card that appears to use the Hermes 2 chipset. The Orinoco
drivers don't support it. Agere have published a driver for it, but it only
works (badly) on kernel 2.4. It won't compile under 2.6 at all.

The Agere 7.20 doesn't compile (for me, anyway) and the 7.18 ones work, but
only up to a point (no dhcp for example), and fill the logs with rubbish!

lspci -v:

00:0a.0 Network controller: Lucent Microelectronics: Unknown device ab34
 Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp.: Unknown device 7007
 Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 19
 I/O ports at e080 [size=64]

lspci -n:

00:0a.0 Class 0280: 11c1:ab34

--
Pete

(make the obvious amendments to reply!)

 
 
 

emachines m6807 media reader (compact flash & secure digital)

Post by David N. Welt » Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:39:14


[ Not sub'ed to this group - please CC me in replies.  Thanks! ]



> > Oh, this sounds like an excellent candidate for the Incompatibility
> > List (see URL below).  If you don't feel like adding it yourself, do
> > send me as much information as possible (lspci, etc) and I'll put it
> > there myself.

> > Thanks!

> OK, here's the details:
> 00:09.1 Class 0501: 1524:0510

Added here:

http://leenooks.com/193

Quote:> You might also want to include the wlan device from the same
> computer.
> 00:0a.0 Class 0280: 11c1:ab34

Added here:

http://leenooks.com/194

Thanks!  Please do add any details that you can.

--
David N. Welton
Personal:                   http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
Apache Tcl:                 http://tcl.apache.org/
Free Software:              http://www.dedasys.com/freesoftware/
Linux Incompatibility List: http://www.leenooks.com/

 
 
 

emachines m6807 media reader (compact flash & secure digital)

Post by TCM » Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:55:45


The emachines m6807 media reader can read compact flash by:
mkdir /mnt/flash
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
ls /mnt/flash