Linux SMP

Post by Christophe Fillo » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have problems to find a kernel which works on a Linux bi-Pentium Pro
200. It has 512 Mb of RAM, an aic7xxx PCI card and I want the quotas to be
enabled. There are about 50 users at the same time.

At the moment, I must absolutely have the quota support and I use a 2.0.33
kernel but without SMP : with SMP, the kernel crashes.
Besides, my 2.0.33 kernel is patched with aic7xxx 5.0.13 patch. Otherwise,
the server will crash some hours later...

I tried development kernels, like 2.1.78 and recently 2.1.97 but I've
a problem during partition checking. They work only without quotas...
The server has 2 internal SCSI disks, one of 2 Gb and one of 4 Gb, and
there are 4 external disks, of 4 Gb each.
Internal disks are detected as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, and when I select
the complete configuration , partition checking fails like that:

Partition check :
   sda : sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 >
   sdb : sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4
   sdc :

and the kernel crashes at this time..... :-(

So, I'd like to know if there is possible to  have a good aic7xxx
driver (I can patch it), the SMP support without a crash every five
minutes, and the quota support.
( I read somewhere that there is a problem with SMP support and aic7xxx
  driver ).

Thanks.

Linux SMP

Post by Szabolcs Szakacsit » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

> I have problems to find a kernel which works on a Linux bi-Pentium Pro
> 200. It has 512 Mb of RAM, an aic7xxx PCI card and I want the quotas to be
> enabled. There are about 50 users at the same time.

> At the moment, I must absolutely have the quota support and I use a 2.0.33
> kernel but without SMP : with SMP, the kernel crashes.
> Besides, my 2.0.33 kernel is patched with aic7xxx 5.0.13 patch. Otherwise,
> the server will crash some hours later...
> The server has 2 internal SCSI disks, one of 2 Gb and one of 4 Gb, and
> there are 4 external disks, of 4 Gb each.
> Internal disks are detected as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, and when I select
> the complete configuration , partition checking fails like that:

> Partition check :
>    sda : sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 >
>    sdb : sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4
>    sdc :

> and the kernel crashes at this time..... :-(

> So, I'd like to know if there is possible to  have a good aic7xxx
> driver (I can patch it), the SMP support without a crash every five
> minutes, and the quota support.
> ( I read somewhere that there is a problem with SMP support and aic7xxx
>   driver ).

Unfortunately you didn't write what kind of motherboard, disks,
scsi controller you have. Some (many?) of them need (firmware)
upgrade. The Linux SMP FAQ [1] discuss many issues, really a must
read. The newest aic driver [2] currently is 5.0.14. Alan Cox's
kernel 2.0.34pre11b patch could help as well [3].

[1] http://www.irisa.fr/prive/mentre/smp-faq/
[2] ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/
[3] ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/incoming/

I have a dual PII w/ onboard aic7895, 2.0.34pre11b with quotas
and no problems at all [last month the box survived a one-week
kernel stress test (parallel kill_kernels, crashmes, fork bombs,
ping floods, etc)]. BTW, I had to upgrade the BIOS and the disks'
firmware [Quantum Atlas II].

                Szaka

1. RH-Linux SMP support (kernel-smp-2.4.18-27.7)

kernel-smp-2.4.18-27.7.x.... to install or not to install?

We are planning to install the SMP kernel module for 2.4.18
on a 2CPU system but before doing so would like to know
how well Linux-SMP works in general to begin with as we have been
running
without SMP from day 1 on this system.
We would like to know if the  application
software has to be written specifically for an SMP environment
in order to utilize the 2nd processor or does RH-Linux SMP look after
load
balancing the two CPU'S automatically no matter what you have running.
Our
application is QMail so wondering how much of a performance benefit
we'll see if we install kernel-smp-2.4.18-27.7.x. Will this module
really allow us to make use of the full processing power of the 2nd
CPU?

I know this seems like a dumb question but our Systems manager doesn't
want us to complicate the OS installation  unnecessarily if the
Linux-SMP
doesn't really buy us much in the end. Oracle for example has built
in optimization for multi-processor platforms I believe. My question
is
really more of a general one about the REDHAT implementation of SMP
and not specific to 2.4.18 kernel... however that is the one we're
currently running.

Any advice or pointers to a Redhat/Linux SMP Whitepaper would be of
interest.

TIA

-

2. tar verify Uid differs question

3. Linux SMP/ 486 SMP Motherboards?

4. /lib/libxxx not an ELF file

5. Cooment on Linux SMP with dual Pentium

6. problems with DFE-580TX (sundance) in 2.4.20

7. Linux, SMP and Compaq SystemPro

8. Q: Reading from a ext2fs partition from DOS?

9. HELP: linux SMP and modem problem

10. Linux SMP?

11. Linux SMP support

12. poor oracle performance with linux smp

13. fix include/linux/smp.h