SIS 735 chipset with Red hat 9.0

Post by jdun » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 06:44:52

I am trying to install Red hat on a ECS (Elite)
motherboard with SIS 735 chip. It has USB 2.0
that seems to stop install dead. It goes in a loop
trying to "restart" the usb. Then hangs.
Anybody encounter this ? Is there a driver
somewhere ?

Post by Alle » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 09:17:42

> I am trying to install Red hat on a ECS (Elite)
> motherboard with SIS 735 chip. It has USB 2.0
> that seems to stop install dead. It goes in a loop
> trying to "restart" the usb. Then hangs.
> Anybody encounter this ? Is there a driver
> somewhere ?

Try specifying USB version 1 instead of 2. The 735 is too old to support
USB2.

Post by jdun » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 07:17:09

>>I am trying to install Red hat on a ECS (Elite)
>>motherboard with SIS 735 chip. It has USB 2.0
>>that seems to stop install dead. It goes in a loop
>>trying to "restart" the usb. Then hangs.
>>Anybody encounter this ? Is there a driver
>>somewhere ?

> Try specifying USB version 1 instead of 2. The 735 is too old to support
> USB2.

The motherboard document claims USB 2.0. The CD that comes with it has
Windows driver to do USB 2.0 with the 735 - no Linux driver.

I'm tried disabling USB support in the BIOS and Red Hat still hangs.
There may be more problems than this, so for the time being I am
marking this mobo as Wunders only. There are too many good boards out
there to wast time on this one. I don`t recommend Elite. (ECS)
Thanks for input

Post by AlV » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:16:02

>> Try specifying USB version 1 instead of 2. The 735 is too old to support
>> USB2.

Yes, but the VIA USB chipset on the board (mine is a ECS K7S5A Pro) adds
USB 2.0 capabilities to the board.

Quote:> The motherboard document claims USB 2.0. The CD that comes with it has
> Windows driver to do USB 2.0 with the 735 - no Linux driver.

No need of a third party driver, the Linux kernel has functionalities to
handle USB 2.0 (namely ehci)

Quote:> I'm tried disabling USB support in the BIOS and Red Hat still hangs.

Too bad... :o)

Quote:> There may be more problems than this, so for the time being I am
> marking this mobo as Wunders only. There are too many good boards out
> there to wast time on this one. I don`t recommend Elite. (ECS)

I have two Elite K7S5A Pro (with SiS 735 and VIA USB 2.0) and Slackware
9.0 has no problem with these boards.

I don't recommend Red Hat ;o)
(or in this case any OS which tries to be smarter than me :o)

My two cents: you might try another distribution to see whether the
problem comes from Red Hat or from this board.

Quote:> Thanks for input

You're welcome...

1. ECS K7S5A/SIS 735 chipset experience?

Life has conspired to make this a good time to replace my motherboard,
and I've been eyeing the ECS K7S5A (SIS 735 chipset).  Has anyone
attempted this board/chipset with *BSD yet?
--
"I don't like being quoted."
        -- anonymous

2. iptable rules not being hit

3. SiS 735 chipset

4. Program Apache to insert custom html on the fly

5. SiS 735 Chipset

6. milo problem

7. SiS 735 chipset

8. SCSI tape access?

9. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

10. How to get working NVidia AGP on ECS K7S5A motherboard (SIS 735)?

11. ECS k7s5a audio sound SiS 735 - 7012

12. SIS 735 it's work or not under linux

13. SiS 6326 Graphics chipset and Red Hat 5.2