In great need of help with PCMCIA modem

Post by zo » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I've got a brandy new Gateway 9100 laptop with a Telepath modem. One of
their new ones I guess since it has x2. Problem is I am very new to Linux
and can't get it to configure the modem (though I did get the module to
recognize it). I get a high beep and then a low beep on startup, which the
HOWTO says might be fixed by changing the memory ranges in a config file. I
did that a few times and ended up making Linux unbootable and had to
reinstall. I'm using RH 5.1 if that makes a difference (again - I am new to
Linux) Thanks in advance! :)

Post by Andy Mulhear » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I've got a brandy new Gateway 9100 laptop with a Telepath modem. One of
> their new ones I guess since it has x2. Problem is I am very new to Linux
> and can't get it to configure the modem (though I did get the module to
> recognize it). I get a high beep and then a low beep on startup, which the
> HOWTO says might be fixed by changing the memory ranges in a config file. I
> did that a few times and ended up making Linux unbootable and had to
> reinstall. I'm using RH 5.1 if that makes a difference (again - I am new to
> Linux) Thanks in advance! :)

Can you post the relevant section from your log file (/var/log/messages)
where the modem is detected.

Andy

In great need of help with PCMCIA modem

Post by Jeff Edward » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hey, I have an almost brand new Gateway 9100 (from February) that I've gotten
my Telepath modem to work on...  Send me your pcmcia specific output from dmesg
and I'll look at it and see what's up...

In the meantime,  you can check this stuff out...

1.  I suppose you changed /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia so that the first line says
"yes" and the second line says "i82365", otherwise you wouldn't even get the
beeps...

2.  Try putting the card in the other slot and see if that will get it to
work... I had trouble on my 9100 where if you put the modem in the cardbus
slot(the top one for me) the computer will recognize the modem as a "memory
card", which is, of course, wrong...  For a temporary fix, try putting the card
in the other slot...

3.  If the cause of your troubles is #2, then you'll need to recompile the
pcmcia package, which isn't hard... If that's the case, e-mail me, and I'll
tell you how(not that it's a long drawn out process, I just don't feel like
typing it out right now)...

Basically, you shouldn't have to change ANY options in ANY config files to get
your modem recognized, except in the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file... As long as
that complies with what I said in #1, you should be okay...

E-mail me back if you have any problems, or if you need any other help with
your laptop...  I've found out a lot of stuff since I've been working with
Linux since November of last year, so feel free to ask me anything...

p.s.  Even though the HOWTO's usually(well just about always) don't have what
you need to know in them, read them anyways, 'cause you learn a lot about Linux
in the process...(Although if you're really serious about computers and Linux,
you won't need me to tell you that, 'cause you'll do it anyways =) )

p.p.s  I haven't found anybody who has used Linux on a 9100 yet, only some old
2100's and some other old Gateway notebooks, so don't feel bad when you can't
find any info on Linux on a Gateway 9100, there isn't any... =(

p.p.p.s Don't be afraid to mess around, unless something says DANGEROUS, go
ahead and tweak to your hearts content, you've certainly got a fast enough
computer where it'll only take maybe 15 minutes to reinstall, and 4 -5 minutes
to recompile the kernel...