booklet printing on PostScript printers

Post by Jim Shaffer, Jr » Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:50:49

I just bought a Brother HL-5150D laser printer.  I set it up under CUPS using
the PPD file from the installation disk.  It prints double-sided pages fine if I
select a duplex mode from the printing options dialog in KDE.  However, on my
Windows machines, the printing options dialog (using the same PPD file) not only
offers me the ability to pring up to 16 pages per page (KDE only goes to 4 as it
did on my non-PostScript inkjet printers), but it also offers the ability to lay
out the pages for binding into booklets.  Is there some way to get this
functionality from CUPS and/or KDE?  I understand that there may be programs to
do such layout, but I was under the impression that if I used the
manufacturer-supplied PPD file I would have access to all the options the
printer was natively capable of.  (On the other hand, I see an option for poster
printing under Linux that I *didn't* see under Windows, but it's on a different
tab from the duplex options so I suspect it may be a KDE feature rather than a
feature of the printer drivers.  Right or wrong?)

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:54:40

> I just bought a Brother HL-5150D laser printer.  I set it up under CUPS using
> the PPD file from the installation disk.  It prints double-sided pages fine if I
> select a duplex mode from the printing options dialog in KDE.  However, on my
> Windows machines, the printing options dialog (using the same PPD file) not only
> offers me the ability to pring up to 16 pages per page (KDE only goes to 4 as it
> did on my non-PostScript inkjet printers), but it also offers the ability to lay
> out the pages for binding into booklets.  Is there some way to get this
> functionality from CUPS and/or KDE?  I understand that there may be programs to
> do such layout, but I was under the impression that if I used the
> manufacturer-supplied PPD file I would have access to all the options the
> printer was natively capable of.

'psnup' and 'psbook' (both from the psutils package, IIRC) are used for
multiple pages on a single sheet and booklet style printing.  They're
both command line utilities that re-arrange the PostScript sent to the
printer.

The fact that Windows shows these in the printing options dialog is
irrelevant, IMHO.  It is unlikely that the printer itself supports these
functions in hardware.  It is more likely that the Windows driver is
implementing the functionality in software---effectively providing a GUI
wrapper around the calls to psnup and psbook.  IOW, it's a not a matter
of having "access to all the options the printer was natively capable
of", it's a matter of the Windows driver doing a little extra
manipulation before printing begins.

1. PRINTING POSTSCRIPT TO NON-POSTSCRIPT PRINTER - help...

hi everyone

i've been trying to get my printer(s) set up on my system and i am able
to print plain ascii onto both my epson (really old nasty thing that it
is) and my deskjet.. now, it would be much nicer (and less costly) if i
could print postscript to these non-postscipt printers so i found out
about ghostscript.  (i have actually got ghoscript 2.6.2 on my system
and read up on it.)

i found a very 'simple' (nothing is simply really is it? :-) ) pipeline
that was to print ps on a non-ps printer - ok me thinks so i try it out
using a ps doucment i found, and executed:
 gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile= | lpr file.ps

i removed the 'filter' (the 'if') entry from /etc/printcap just to be
sure that what was going to be printed was the output of this file

however the printer output the 'lovely' ps as the ascii-ps code; ie
beginning the file with
 %!PS-Adobe-2.0
 %%EOF

(i actually viewed the ps file using ghostview and it is valid
postscript)

i also tried out a ps-printcap i found tat did the 'print ps on non-ps
printer' trick - here is the lsm entry
 Title:  ps-printcap
 Version: 1
 Entered-date: 22NOV95
\
 printer + text as postscript Keywords: Postscript Printing text

 Maintained-by:
 Primary-site:
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Printing/ps-printcap.tgz

and the files in the tgz were:
 /etc/printcap
  lp: \
  :lp:lp=/dev/lp1: \
  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
  :mx%0: \
  :if=/etc/filter: \
  :sh:

 /etc/filter
  #!/bin/sh
  # Set the PRINTER var to a "gs" device.
  # Try gs -h for a list of drivers

  #PRINTER=djet500 # original - changed to try out my epson
  #PRINTER=deskjet
  PRINTER=epson
  nenscript -ZB -p- | gs -q -sDEVICE=$PRINTER \
          -dA4 -dNOPAUSE \
   -dSAFER -sOutputFile=- -

i installed these and tried to print ascii text files but these were
unsuccessful.  (i have nenscript 1.13++ installed).  i even tried
  nenscript -ZB -p- | gs -q -sDEVICE=$PRINTER -dA4 -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER
-sOutputFile=- - | lpr

from the command line

can someone *please* tell me where i'm going wrong on this but even
better, can someone please give me information (or preferably send me)
for setting up their /etc/termcap and /etc/filter files for PRINTING
POSTSCIPT onto my NON-POSTSCRIPT printers which are:
 epson lq100 (told you it was really old and nasty!!!)
 hp 600

this would be a greate help for my work.  any help and advice will be
greatly appreciated and i'll definitely give you acknowledgement in my
work !!! (no hard cash i'm affraid - i'm still studying :-) )

cheers

ray

ps - can people cc their replies to me - thanks again

anyone who has viewed src code in 1up will know what a help it is to
have something that'll dump 2 or 4 (or even 6) pages of src code onto
one a4 page!!!

2. HP 722C

3. print postscript file to non-postscript printer

4. Upgrade from DU 4.0 to 5.0?

5. Printing Postscript files on a NON-postscript printer

6. clearing /tmp periodically

7. RedHat 7.2, KDE printing postscript on non-postscript printers

8. Usage of $n

9. Printing postscript on non-postscript printers

10. HELP: Print PostScript file on Non-PostScript-Printer

11. Want to print PostScript to non PostScript printer

12. Printing Postscript without a Postscript Printer?

13. Printing Postscript files on a NON-postscript printer