Once again(?): Mitsumi 4x ATAPI woes

Post by Erik Bu » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 20:27:19

I am aware this has been discussed before, but I can't locate any
really old articles, and the more recent one were of no help..

I have the ATAPI CD-ROM installed as a slave on my IDE controller.
I ftp'ed the kernel version 1.1.91 and compiled it with the
ATAPI cd option (and both new and old ide drivers). I read the
.../linux/drivers/block/README.IDE file, ran the device creating
script, and tried to mount /dev/hdc (and hdb, hdd):

        ln -sf /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom
        mkdir /cd
        mount /dev/cdrom /cd -t iso9660 -o ro

(there may be a wrong option above, but I did things correct back
home..)

No luck. /dev/hdb complains that /dev/cdrom is not a mount point, the
others that /dev/hd? is not a block device.
I tried adding a line to lilo.conf (hdc = cdrom), but it didn't affect
a thing.

Anyone care to share their hard-learned information with me? =)

Thank you;

//ebu <off to look for the cdrom howto..>
--
Erik Bunn // "Forget reality. Settle for a  good fantasy."

1. 1.1.81 and Mitsumi 4X IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM problems

I'm having problems getting Linux 1.1.81 to successfully recognize my
Mitsumi 4X IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM drive.  The drive works fine under DOS
and Windows.

I've read the README.ide in the drivers/block directory.  I've added the
'append "hdc=cdrom"' line to /etc/lilo.conf (and reinstalled lilo).

Here are some excerpts from the /var/adm/messages file:

-------------------------
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: ide1: hdc: cdrom
.
.
.
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: hdc: no response
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: hdc: ATAPI cdrom (?)
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: ide1: secondary interface on irq 15
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: ide0: primary interface on irq 14
-------------------------

If I attempt to mount a CD-ROM the machine hangs for a while
(I can switch virtual consoles but cannot type).  If I hit
control-C the 'mount' attempt finally fails (after a minute
or so) and then I can type again.

If I boot DOS first (which loads the DOS IDE driver for the
enhanced IDE card and for the CD-ROM drive) and then do a
warm reboot into Linux, Linux recognizes the CD-ROM drive
and the drive mounts and works fine.

Here is what /var/adm/messages says in that case:

----------------------------------
Jan 18 03:52:25 helix kernel: hdc: FX400_02, ATAPI, CDROM drive
----------------------------------

If I use Linux 1.1.75 with the ide patch applied (and warm boot
to Linux from DOS), here is what /var/adm/messages says:

Jan 18 02:53:50 helix kernel: hdc: XF04_020, ATAPI, CDROM drive

The drive works fine in this case too.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Is it more likely a problem with the drive or with the PCI EIDE
card?  I recently helped someone setup up Linux 1.1.75 with IDE
patches and a Mitsumi 4X IDE ATAPI drive on a ZEOS Pantera and
had none of the above-described problems.

My machine has an ASUS P5-90 PCI motherboard.  The EIDE card I'm
using is called "S1363-004 PCI Local Bus Enhanced IDE & Multi
I/O Controller".
--

               World Wide Web: http://www.compbio.caltech.edu/~garnett
"If private encryption is outlawed, then only criminals will have access to

2. Help with HP JetDirect EX

3. ATAPI/Mitsumi CD-ROM 4x Problem...

4. Problems Kernel 2.0.15 with Apache (1.1.1 and 1.0.5)

5. IDE1 ATAPI MITSUMI 4x CDROM -- MASTER OR SERVANT ?

6. Arp timeout

7. Mitsumi 4X CD & Linux ? (ATAPI)

8. Suse 6.0 not seeing memory

9. Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM

10. Toshiba 4x v. Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM

11. Sanyo 4x vs. Mitsumi 4x

12. Using a Mitsumi 4X CDROM on a SB AWE 32

13. UNRECOGNIZED 4X MITSUMI CD-ROM DURING SETUP