Help : Pbs with a disk

Post by TRESSENS Lione » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

My partition 1 doesn't end on a cylinder boundary (error given by fdisk)
Moreover, the parameters given to the BIOS are not those read by fdisk
(heads, sectors...)

Can you help me ?

Can I format the disk in low level format mode ?

Lionel

Help : Pbs with a disk

Post by Matt Kirsc » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 > My partition 1 doesn't end on a cylinder boundary (error given by
fdisk)
 > Moreover, the parameters given to the BIOS are not those read by
fdisk
 > (heads, sectors...)
 >
 > Can you help me ?

The problems are related. If you fix the parameters in the BIOS, both
problems will go away. If your BIOS setup has an automatic IDE detection
option, use it.
Otherwise, try setting the parameters using the disk's actual geometry,
and enable LBA translation. If that doesn't work, set the parameters
using the disk's translated geometry (from fdisk) and enable LBA
translation.

 > Can I format the disk in low level format mode ?

Never low-level format an IDE drive. You end up with a paperweight.