Scanner access for non-root user

Post by Keith Won » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I installed Mandrake 6.1 recently, and it works well. Even automatically
detected my SCSI adaptor (Tekram DC 310), zip drive and Umax scanner (astra
610S).

Without any other setting-up, I can scan documents directly into Gimp using
xscanimage, but can only do so as root. Perhaps I do not have appropriate
privileges as a non-root user?

typing scanimage --list-devices
produces the response that my device is a umax:/dev/sge
When I try to change the privileges on /dev/sge, it seems to make no
difference.

Is there a scanner how-to that I am missing?

Would appreciate advice on how to configure my scanner.

thanks
---------------------
Keith Wong

Post by David Coole » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I installed Mandrake 6.1 recently, and it works well. Even automatically
> detected my SCSI adaptor (Tekram DC 310), zip drive and Umax scanner (astra
> 610S).

> Without any other setting-up, I can scan documents directly into Gimp using
> xscanimage, but can only do so as root. Perhaps I do not have appropriate
> privileges as a non-root user?

> typing scanimage --list-devices
> produces the response that my device is a umax:/dev/sge
> When I try to change the privileges on /dev/sge, it seems to make no
> difference.

Keith,
do a chmod +s /dev/sge and chmod +s scanimage (in whatever directory
scanimage is in).

Scanner access for non-root user

Post by Keith Won » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, the problem remains.

As the root user, I can directly scan images in to Gimp. On the command
line, typing scanimage -L yields "umax:/dev/sga is a UMAX Astra 610S flatbed
scanner"

As a non-root user, nothing happens when I type scanimage. Another command I
tried told me there were no SANE devices. I have set all users to have
read/write access to /dev/sga.

Keith

Post by j.. » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, the problem remains.

>As the root user, I can directly scan images in to Gimp. On the command
>line, typing scanimage -L yields "umax:/dev/sga is a UMAX Astra 610S flatbed
>scanner"

>As a non-root user, nothing happens when I type scanimage. Another command I
>tried told me there were no SANE devices. I have set all users to have
>read/write access to /dev/sga.

        "chmod 666 /dev/sga" will let anyone access the device.

--

 Bill, you trivialized one customer too many: Linus.          |||
                                                             / | \

                        For sane PPP Docs, try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Scanner access for non-root user

Post by Kenneth Crud » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Quote:>Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, the problem remains.

>As the root user, I can directly scan images in to Gimp. On the command
>line, typing scanimage -L yields "umax:/dev/sga is a UMAX Astra 610S flatbed
>scanner"

>As a non-root user, nothing happens when I type scanimage. Another command I
>tried told me there were no SANE devices. I have set all users to have
>read/write access to /dev/sga.

Just to make sure, do this:

add a group "scanner" to /etc/group (man 5 group)
chgrp scanner /dev/sga <on your [x]scanimage binar[ies]>
chmod g+s <on scanimage and xscanimage files>

... that's what I did, and I can scan as a user.

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup   Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
Home1: 8051 Newell St. #914     Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914    (301) 562-1922

1. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

Hi Folks,

Here is the problem.

I have user A and user B (non-root users)

I need for user A to initiate a job as user B. How can this be done?

As you know, I can do this as root. I can start a process from root as
another user in the system (cron jobs come to my mind!) Is there a way
to do this for non-root users? I believe I need to be able to do
something like  as user A
"su - B" without being prompted for password.

Appreciate suggestions in advance.

Pasha

BTW: I am using AIX 4.3.10

2. What to install with FreeBSD?

3. Granting root access to defined non-root users...

4. FWD: Linux now support Ultra ATA/100

5. Root Access to non-root users

6. apache cannot see dir and some files using .htaccess

7. Non-root Users Cannot Gain Access

8. NIS

9. How can non-root users access serial ports

10. COM port access permission of non-root users

11. Non-root Users Cannot Gain Access

12. Non-root user cannot access PPP

13. Non-root users online access