Debian Sarge/SID & NVIDIA

Post by Gary Dal » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:48:54

Below is the installer log from my last attempt to get the NVIDA driver
to install. The install line I use is:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --kernel-source
"/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9"

I've installed and unpacked the kernel source. I've also installed the
nvidia packages in the X section of the Debian packages
(nvidia-kernel-source & nvidia-kernel-common) but that had no effect..

I was having the same problem with kernel 2.6.8 before I installed the
2.6.9 kernel. And trying to make install after the I extracted the
install files didn't help either.

Any suggestions?

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Sun Nov  7 20:26:04 2004

option status:
   license pre-accepted    : false
   update                  : false
   force update            : false
   expert                  : false
   uninstall               : false
   driver info             : false
   no precompiled interface: false
   no ncurses color        : false
   query latest driver ver : false
   OpenGL header files     : false
   no questions            : false
   silent                  : false
   X install prefix        : /usr/X11R6
   OpenGL install prefix   : /usr
   Installer install prefix: /usr
   kernel source path      : /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9
   kernel install path     : (not specified)
   proc mount point        : /proc
   ui                      : (not specified)
   tmpdir                  : /tmp
   ftp site                : ftp://download.nvidia.com

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would
you li
    ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your

    rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: Yes)
-> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp
site;
    this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel
interface for
    your kernel.
-> Using the kernel source path '/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9' as
specified by
    the '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
-> Kernel source path: '/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9'
-> Performing cc_version_check with CC="cc".
ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
        you either have configured kernel sources matching your
        kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
        on your system.

        If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
        you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
        installed on your system. If you specified a separate
        output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
        the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
        directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
        the appropriate nvidia-installer command line option.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
        '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find
suggestions
        on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
        driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Debian Sarge/SID & NVIDIA

Post by baskitcais » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:17:44

Gary Dale adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
write:

Quote:> Below is the installer log from my last attempt to get the NVIDA
> driver to install. The install line I use is:

> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --kernel-source
> "/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9"

> I've installed and unpacked the kernel source. I've also installed the
> nvidia packages in the X section of the Debian packages
> (nvidia-kernel-source & nvidia-kernel-common) but that had no effect..

Not sure on the Debian side but I do know that the 2.6.9 kernel does not
like the Nvidia or vice versa, there is a hacked version of the Nvidias
out there on the net google would probably find it, that will install
on the 2.6.9.

Did you prepare the sources?

--
Mark
Illegitimi Non Carborundum!

Debian Sarge/SID & NVIDIA

Post by Gary Dal » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 21:13:54

As I said, I was having the same problems with the 2.6.8 kernel, so I
don't think it's (entirely) a kernel issue.

What do you mean "Did you prepare the sources?" As I said, I installed
the kernel source. That actually doesn't do much other than give me a
bzipped file in /usr/src, so I unpacked that to create an actual kernel
source directory. Even then, I had to use the --kernel-source directive
to get NVidia to see it. I think that's just because the installer wants
a particular symlink to the directory however.

> Gary Dale adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
> write:

>>Below is the installer log from my last attempt to get the NVIDA
>>driver to install. The install line I use is:

>>sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --kernel-source
>>"/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9"

>>I've installed and unpacked the kernel source. I've also installed the
>>nvidia packages in the X section of the Debian packages
>>(nvidia-kernel-source & nvidia-kernel-common) but that had no effect..

> Not sure on the Debian side but I do know that the 2.6.9 kernel does not
> like the Nvidia or vice versa, there is a hacked version of the Nvidias
> out there on the net google would probably find it, that will install
> on the 2.6.9.

> Did you prepare the sources?

Debian Sarge/SID & NVIDIA

Post by baskitcais » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:41:36

Gary Dale adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
write:

Quote:> As I said, I was having the same problems with the 2.6.8 kernel, so I
> don't think it's (entirely) a kernel issue.

> What do you mean "Did you prepare the sources?" As I said, I installed
> the kernel source. That actually doesn't do much other than give me a
> bzipped file in /usr/src, so I unpacked that to create an actual
> kernel source directory.

Normally you need to prepare the kernel source by as root:-

cd /usr/src/linux      #to get you to the kernel source
make cloneconfig    #configures the kernel to your running one
make prepare-all    #prepares the headers so they can be used

This is on a Suse box, it will configure the kernel and prepare the
headers and deps.

If you just have the unzipped kernel source then it will not be
configured for your system and the Nvidias will not compile.

You might still need the --with-kernel-source=/usr/src/linux param for
the Nvidias though.

As I said I am not too sure of Deb but would think you need to do this,
anyway it will not hurt :)

HTH
--

Post by Andrew Schulma » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:48:03

Quote:> Below is the installer log from my last attempt to get the NVIDA
driver
> to install. The install line I use is:

> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --kernel-source
> "/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9"

> I've installed and unpacked the kernel source. I've also installed the
> nvidia packages in the X section of the Debian packages
> (nvidia-kernel-source & nvidia-kernel-common) but that had no effect..

> I was having the same problem with kernel 2.6.8 before I installed the
> 2.6.9 kernel. And trying to make install after the I extracted the
> install files didn't help either.

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/index.html

Debian Sarge/SID & NVIDIA

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:54:16

> Below is the installer log from my last attempt to get the NVIDA driver
> to install. The install line I use is:

> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --kernel-source
> "/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9"

> I've installed and unpacked the kernel source. I've also installed the
> nvidia packages in the X section of the Debian packages
> (nvidia-kernel-source & nvidia-kernel-common) but that had no effect..
[snip]
> ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
>         you either have configured kernel sources matching your
>         kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
>         on your system.

>         If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
>         you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
>         installed on your system.

The error message is telling you exactly what you need to do.  Do you
have a config file matching your currently running kernel?  (Either in
/proc/config.gz or /boot/config* if you're using a distro-supplied
kernel, or your own /usr/src/linux/.config file if you compiled your own
kernel.)

Under 2.4.x kernels you'd need to do 'make dep' in /usr/src/linux with
the proper config file, then make any external modules.

I'm not entirely sure what the *best* process is under 2.6.x.  For
kernels I compile myself, I always make sure to build external modules
right after building the kernel, and before doing any sort 'make clean'
operation in the kernel source tree.  That works, but there may be a
more effecient way (especially if you're using a packaged kernel).

Debian Sarge/SID & NVIDIA

Post by Gary Dal » Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:16:04

Perfect! All I had to in addition to the following the instructions was
to install the proper kernel headers after the install complained they
were missing.

Thanks.

>>Below is the installer log from my last attempt to get the NVIDA

> driver

>>to install. The install line I use is:

>>sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --kernel-source
>>"/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9"

>>I've installed and unpacked the kernel source. I've also installed the
>>nvidia packages in the X section of the Debian packages
>>(nvidia-kernel-source & nvidia-kernel-common) but that had no effect..

>>I was having the same problem with kernel 2.6.8 before I installed the
>>2.6.9 kernel. And trying to make install after the I extracted the
>>install files didn't help either.

> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/index.html

1. Unresolved symbols installing NVIDIA drivers (Debian sid)

Hi,

I'm using the Debian "sid" distribution (/proc/version says Kernel
2.2.20, compiled with gcc 2.7.2.3). To install the drivers for my
graphics card with NVIDIA GeForce2 MX200 Chipset, I've downloaded the
driver sources from http://www.nvidia.com/
(NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2880.tar.gz, NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2880.tar.gz) and
followed the installation instructions there.

I've installed the kernel-sources-2.2.20 package to get the
"modversions.h" include. I compile with gcc 2.95 and the
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH flag set, since reverting to gcc 2.7.2.3 produces
unknown flag errors.

OK, when I "make install" I get the following "Unresolved symbols"
error:
--
ld -r -o NVdriver Module-linux Module-nvkernel
size NVdriver

In the installation instruction troubleshooting it says:
--
If you receive errors about unresolved symbols, then the kernel module
has most likely been built using header files for a different kernel

But since I've installed sources 2.2.20, I think this cannot be the
problem. What's going wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Heinrich

2. How do I patch Solaris binaries

3. Debian Woody/Sid Hybrid & Windows - Low cost/Low end USB Network

4. Bootup Hangs at Sendmail

5. Debian/Sarge & BTOpenworld with BT Voyager 1040 PCI card

6. Boot still hangs at: Ok booing the kernel

7. XFree 4.2 & nvidia's GLX & NVIDIA modules

8. compiler refresh

9. NVIDIA glxgears performance (debian-5536-nvidia-drivers)

10. keyboard screwup on pismo running debian sid

11. installing debian sid

12. Debian SID and slmodem with Amilo L730

13. Support make xconfig on Debian sid