ESS Audiodrive ESS-1868 PnP w/ linux

Post by Scott M. Coole » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

Hey eveybody

I've got an ESS Audiodrive ESS-1868 plug-n-play soundcard.  I seem to
recall having had it work previously with linux just by specifying in
the kernel, SB16, IO=220, IRQ=7, DMA=1, MPU_IO=330 etc...but now it's
not so easy.  I'll probably have to do something like a pnpdump and all
that jazz, but i'm kind of new to pnp under linux, so i thought I'd save
the trouble by checking here...

Anyone sucecssfully setup this card under linux?  if so can you email me
pertinent info, like isapnp.conf settings, kernel config settings etc?
I miss it when asmail plays the gong when i get mail :-(

thanks,
scott

__
Scott M. Cooley      UIN : 512574
*tech Systems    PGP Key :

ESS Audiodrive ESS-1868 PnP w/ linux

Post by G?ran Uddebo » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

Scott M. Cooley randomly punched a keyboard and produced:

Quote:>If so can you email me
>pertinent info, like isapnp.conf settings, kernel config settings etc?

Take a look at
    http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gedau/mysystem.html#ESS
and/or
    http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/ess1868.html

Post by gr0k » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Scott M. Cooley randomly punched a keyboard and produced:
> >If so can you email me
> >pertinent info, like isapnp.conf settings, kernel config settings etc?

> Take a look at
>     http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gedau/mysystem.html#ESS
> and/or
>     http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/ess1868.html

I tried following both of those pages, however whenever I test the setup
by doing a cat something.au > /dev/audio I always get an error that says:

Sound Blaster: DSP Command(a5) timeout.
Sound Blaster: DSP Command(ff) timeout.

I do hear the speakers click, but never play the sound.

--
gr0k - "To understand, usually in a global sense.  Connotes
intimate and exhaustive knowledge."

ESS Audiodrive ESS-1868 PnP w/ linux

Post by Richard Parr » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi Scott;

> I've got an ESS Audiodrive ESS-1868 plug-n-play soundcard.  I seem to
> recall having had it work previously with linux just by specifying in
> the kernel, SB16, IO=220, IRQ=7, DMA=1, MPU_IO=330 etc...but now it's
> not so easy.  I'll probably have to do something like a pnpdump and all
> that jazz, but i'm kind of new to pnp under linux, so i thought I'd save
> the trouble by checking here...

I have the 18xx (something) installed and working fine.  It's supported
natively by the kernel (I'm running 2.0.33).

To get it working, pretend you're setting it up as it's compatible (ie,
SB Pro) - which has IO 220, IRQ 5 (very important, 7 is not right), but
here's the trick: give it DMA 1 & 5 (the high DMA channel for SB 16).

With that, you then recompile your kernel/module, and you should be
working 100%.  It was a lot easier to set up than I was expecting -
using this formula, I've had it work both on my notebook (ESS688) and
desktop PC in 16-bit mode.

Cheers

Richard

--
Richard Parry                                Network Controller/Analyst

Phone 64 4 474 3010         Mobile 021 664 655        Fax 64 4 474 3140

Post by Eric L. Howar » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hi Scott;

>> I've got an ESS Audiodrive ESS-1868 plug-n-play soundcard.  I seem to
>> recall having had it work previously with linux just by specifying in
>> the kernel, SB16, IO=220, IRQ=7, DMA=1, MPU_IO=330 etc...but now it's
>To get it working, pretend you're setting it up as it's compatible (ie,
>SB Pro) - which has IO 220, IRQ 5 (very important, 7 is not right), but
>here's the trick: give it DMA 1 & 5 (the high DMA channel for SB 16).

Hola,

This is absolute correct...I have my ess16xx working on the laptop (it's an
TI/Acer Extensa w/ NeoMagic 128ZV video, so that sucks...).

All the docs I read were wrong about the IRQ needing to be set to 7, but 5
worked perfectly...the DMA also does need to be 1/5.

Blessings,

~ELH~

Eric "I only use Windows at work because I have to" Howard

Post by Sid Boyc » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > Scott M. Cooley randomly punched a keyboard and produced:
> > >If so can you email me
> > >pertinent info, like isapnp.conf settings, kernel config settings etc?

> > Take a look at
> >     http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gedau/mysystem.html#ESS
> > and/or
> >     http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/ess1868.html

> I tried following both of those pages, however whenever I test the setup
> by doing a cat something.au > /dev/audio I always get an error that says:

> Sound Blaster: DSP Command(a5) timeout.
> Sound Blaster: DSP Command(ff) timeout.

> I do hear the speakers click, but never play the sound.

> --
> gr0k - "To understand, usually in a global sense.  Connotes
> intimate and exhaustive knowledge."
> http://www.juju.org

        It's possible the controls are turned down by default, use a mixer program to
make sure they are right. If you have done all the stuff according to the URL's
above, it should be OK.
        I used one of these cards for about 2 years till recently I got a motherboard
with built-in sound, no problems with it from day one.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(Europe)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

1. ATAPI CDRom on the IDE interface of a ESS Audiodrive 1868

HI!

I am trying to get my Pioneer DR-UA124X to run through the IDE interface on my
soundcard. I read in the Sound-HOWTO there is a driver for the Mad16+assorted
other cards, isb16 (IIRC). I was wondering whether there is a similar
driver/kernel module/whatever that works with the 1868.

It works fine under Win98, where the "Standard IDE Harddisk Controller" is
autodetected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Daniel

2. Corel WordPerfect Install Problem

3. ESS Audiodrive 1868 installation

4. Pinnacle PCTV USB 2 (Long)

5. ESS 1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive soundcard

6. SUPPER

7. ESS AudioDrive 1868 soundcard

8. Why does STDIO buffer to a pipe, but not to a TTY?

9. ESS 1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive soundcard

10. ESS 1868 pnp Sound card - is it possible ?

11. ESS 1868 pnp

12. ESS-1868 based soundcard

13. Sound Card drivers for ESS-1868