really annoyed at modem manufacturers

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by Bob » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 03:42:30



Manufacturers frequently say "Hardware Modem" but it is still
controllerless and is Windows specific.
 
 
 

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by Doug » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 04:07:45



> Manufacturers frequently say "Hardware Modem" but it is still
> controllerless and is Windows specific.

It is frustrating.  I have a win/lin modem that can be made
to work if I pat my head, rub my tummy, twirl my left foot,
hop on my right foot....

Enough!

The wisdom in the newsgroups is right -- buy a serial modem.
Works with all OSes.  Works with all Linux distros.  Easy
to move from machine to machine.  Drivers?  We don't need
no stinking drivers!  Can reset modem easily.  Got blinking
lights.  Etc, etc.

Yes, it is more expensive, but the benefits are tremendous.

 
 
 

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by Doug » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 07:03:15



> Manufacturers frequently say "Hardware Modem" but it is still
> controllerless and is Windows specific.

How about a $17.99 (plus S&H) for Intel chipset V90
external modem?  Serial cable & powerpack included.
Absolutely hardware, not win modem.

   "Linux Compatibility
   ------------------------------------------------

   This modem is compatible with any version of Linux
   that supports serial port communications. Voice
   functions will most likely not work."

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=5RJTAI-35500

New, retail box, V90 - NOT V92 (wouldn't bother me).
Don't know anything about Prime Peripherals other
than it has gone bankrupt and did not honor their
rebates.  No negatives about products.  (Google search)

Support?  The manufacturer is gone.  Caveat emptor.
Shouldn't matter, unless you care about firmware
updates.  No, you probably will not be able to update.

Geeks provides 1 year warranty & reasonable return
policy.  More --
http://www.compgeeks.com/customercare.asp#Q11

I've had really good luck with Computer Geeks stuff.
Reasonable shipping charges.  (Next URL wrapped)
https://www.bizrate.com/eval/sweeps_landing.xpml?ir=708
&f=r2cretposm04&mid=17223&flow=4&game=1&sr_likely=9&sr_overall=9

 
 
 

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by Bob » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:38:48


On 08/21/03 18:03 DougZ spoke thusly


>> Manufacturers frequently say "Hardware Modem" but it is still
>> controllerless and is Windows specific.

> How about a $17.99 (plus S&H) for Intel chipset V90
> external modem?  Serial cable & powerpack included.
> Absolutely hardware, not win modem.

That's a good deal, about $30USD to ship to Canada by airmail.
About $18CDN less (worst case) than I can buy an ActionTec
(http://actiontec.com/products/modems/x-modem/dlx_overview.html) modem for.
Quote:>   "Linux Compatibility
>   ------------------------------------------------

>   This modem is compatible with any version of Linux
>   that supports serial port communications. Voice
>   functions will most likely not work."

> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=5RJTAI-35500

> New, retail box, V90 - NOT V92 (wouldn't bother me).
> Don't know anything about Prime Peripherals other
> than it has gone bankrupt and did not honor their
> rebates.  No negatives about products.  (Google search)

> Support?  The manufacturer is gone.  Caveat emptor.
> Shouldn't matter, unless you care about firmware
> updates.  No, you probably will not be able to update.

> Geeks provides 1 year warranty & reasonable return
> policy.  More --
> http://www.compgeeks.com/customercare.asp#Q11

> I've had really good luck with Computer Geeks stuff.
> Reasonable shipping charges.  (Next URL wrapped)
> https://www.bizrate.com/eval/sweeps_landing.xpml?ir=708
> &f=r2cretposm04&mid=17223&flow=4&game=1&sr_likely=9&sr_overall=9

 
 
 

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by Doug » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:53:30



> On 08/21/03 18:03 DougZ spoke thusly


<snip>

> That's a good deal, about $30USD to ship to Canada by airmail.
> About $18CDN less (worst case) than I can buy an ActionTec
> (http://actiontec.com/products/modems/x-modem/dlx_overview.html) modem for.

<snip>
Well, I paid only $8.00 USD to ship the modem
and a DVD-ROM 3000 miles via UPS ground.  I
wasn't in a hurry since I have a working Intel
chip V90 winmodem.  (Working winmodem?  Sort
of an oxymoron...)

ComputerGeeks offers a wide variety of shipping
options, with a wide variety of different costs.
You can save a lot if you are willing to wait
for a slow truck.

If you want to wait until it gets here, I'll
review mine.  OTOH, you can never tell how long
a closeout will last.  (Particularly when a
sale gets mentioned in a newsgroup.  ;-)

I had planned to spring for a US Robotics
external for Linux use, but figure this is
worth a try.  My Intel HaM chipset winmodem
has worked surprisingly well, so an Intel
chipset external built late in the V90 product
cycle seemed a reasonable risk, even when the
vendor has gone under.

 
 
 

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by Bob » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:08:39


On 08/21/03 19:53 DougZ spoke thusly


>> On 08/21/03 18:03 DougZ spoke thusly


> <snip>

>> That's a good deal, about $30USD to ship to Canada by airmail.
>> About $18CDN less (worst case) than I can buy an ActionTec
>> (http://actiontec.com/products/modems/x-modem/dlx_overview.html) modem
>> for.

> <snip>
> Well, I paid only $8.00 USD to ship the modem
> and a DVD-ROM 3000 miles via UPS ground.

Shipping to Canada is WAY more expensive than local shipping in the US.
It is $13+USD to ship to Canada by airmail. UPS is horrible to cross the
border and costs almost $40USD anyway.

Quote:> I wasn't in a hurry since I have a working Intel
> chip V90 winmodem.  (Working winmodem?  Sort
> of an oxymoron...)

> ComputerGeeks offers a wide variety of shipping
> options, with a wide variety of different costs.
> You can save a lot if you are willing to wait
> for a slow truck.

> If you want to wait until it gets here, I'll
> review mine.  OTOH, you can never tell how long
> a closeout will last.  (Particularly when a
> sale gets mentioned in a newsgroup.  ;-)

I ordered one.
I don't really care about the V.92 and V.44 stuff.
I only need it for faxing right now but I will need it for data eventually.
Shipping from California to Canada shouldn't take more than a couple of
weeks.
I wonder if there is any duty on hardware, doesn't matter, just curious.

Quote:> I had planned to spring for a US Robotics
> external for Linux use, but figure this is
> worth a try.  My Intel HaM chipset winmodem
> has worked surprisingly well, so an Intel
> chipset external built late in the V90 product
> cycle seemed a reasonable risk, even when the
> vendor has gone under.

Yes, it is worth a try.
 
 
 

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by Bob » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:36:44


Quote:> I wonder if there is any duty on hardware, doesn't matter, just curious.

I found out the answer by phoning customs Canada.
No duty from the USA to Canada on computer modems.
 
 
 

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by Felwyn » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:49:55




> > Manufacturers frequently say "Hardware Modem" but it is still
> > controllerless and is Windows specific.

> How about a $17.99 (plus S&H) for Intel chipset V90
> external modem?  Serial cable & powerpack included.
> Absolutely hardware, not win modem.

>    "Linux Compatibility
>    ------------------------------------------------

>    This modem is compatible with any version of Linux
>    that supports serial port communications. Voice
>    functions will most likely not work."

> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=5RJTAI-35500

> New, retail box, V90 - NOT V92 (wouldn't bother me).
> Don't know anything about Prime Peripherals other
> than it has gone bankrupt and did not honor their
> rebates.  No negatives about products.  (Google search)

> Support?  The manufacturer is gone.  Caveat emptor.
> Shouldn't matter, unless you care about firmware
> updates.  No, you probably will not be able to update.

> Geeks provides 1 year warranty & reasonable return
> policy.  More --
> http://www.compgeeks.com/customercare.asp#Q11

> I've had really good luck with Computer Geeks stuff.
> Reasonable shipping charges.  (Next URL wrapped)
> https://www.bizrate.com/eval/sweeps_landing.xpml?ir=708
> &f=r2cretposm04&mid=17223&flow=4&game=1&sr_likely=9&sr_overall=9

Wow!  I am glad you posted this!  My modem, though not billed as a
winmodem, actually is one.  I ordered one of the above today!  Not bad
$24.99 with shipping.

Thanks again,
John

 
 
 

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by horn » Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:48:19


DougZ scribbled:


>> Manufacturers frequently say "Hardware Modem" but it is still
>> controllerless and is Windows specific.

> How about a $17.99 (plus S&H) for Intel chipset V90
> external modem?  Serial cable & powerpack included.
> Absolutely hardware, not win modem.

>    "Linux Compatibility
>    ------------------------------------------------

<deletia>

FYI - http://www.pcpartusa.com/shop/index.htm  USD9.95

--
Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671
LindowsOS v4.0 (Linux kernel 2.4.20) Elite-II Zero-Footprint PC

 
 
 

really annoyed at modem manufacturers

Post by Doug » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:05:26



> <snip>

> How about a $17.99 (plus S&H) for Intel chipset V90
> external modem?  Serial cable & powerpack included.
> Absolutely hardware, not win modem.

>   "Linux Compatibility
>   ------------------------------------------------

>   This modem is compatible with any version of Linux
>   that supports serial port communications. Voice
>   functions will most likely not work."

> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=5RJTAI-35500
> <snip>

Received modem today.  Exactly as described.
If interested, product is still listed on web site.
(No relationship other than as paying customer.)

Here's what I learned in a couple of minutes --

FCC Registration Number - 5RJTAI-35500-MR-E
Hardware ID SERENUM\AMB3100

This is an Intel HaM/Cirrus/Ambient chipset
(ownership changed) serial interface
external hardware modem.

Note the MD56 in response to AT13, below.
   "Cirrus-derivatives should respond to ATI3
   with something containing "MD56"; older
   chips may also return "CIRRUS LOGIC, INC.
   MODEM ENGINE" to ATI4." from site --
See - http://www.users.bigpond.com/jesse.s/modemid.html

Following info from (sorry) WinXP --

TQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+FCLASS=? - 0,1,8
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 - CD08.55 - 642 (06/30/2000) SERIAL -
        SPEAKERPHONE 01 - DSP PATCH: 001.65
ATI2 - ROM TEST OK
ATI3 - MD56xx
ATI4 - AMBIENT TECHNOLOGIES INC. ENGINEERING
        FIRMWARE DEPARTMENT
ATI5 - Present, 32K DSP RAM.000
        Host I/F: Serial
        P. Mem. : 008 Bit 001 W.S.
        D. Mem  : 008 Bit 001 W.S.
        DSP code location = INT ROM
ATI6 - CTR21 21
ATI7 - AMBIENT TECHNOLOGIES INC. ENGINEERING
        FIRMWARE DEPARTMENT

I don't have a Linux distro installed at the moment.

No hassle install on Win XP.  Drivers installed,
but should only be needed for voice functions.  Did
not test as "generic" modem without driver install.
Connected at 44.0 Kbps for 45 minutes with no
glitches.  "Feels" like same quality connection
that I get from my HaM winmodem - solid.

 From http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2684
   "if anybody can tell me what the problem with an
   ambient external modem under knoppix is it times out
   at "logging on to network" all the ATI commands
   perform well, as well as the dialing process
   the modem worked just fine under red hat 6, 7,
   8 & mandrake 8"  No reply to this thread.

"SERENUM\AMB3100" search points to:
http://www.modem-help.com/search.php?
eeprom=SERENUM%5CAMB3100&with=1
which needs more research.

I haven't popped the cover to confirm chipset ID,
but believe the following to be correct:
http://www.modem-help.co.uk/chips/amb566.html

At any rate, this appears to be a pretty good
value to me, if not current state-of-the art.
YMMV.

 
 
 

1. annoying firewall manufacturers

So has anyone noticed that some of the firewall manufacturers salesmen
and techies are rather overblown with themselves.  We just had a
FW person (company will remain unnamed) who presented himself as
"the authority" and when he found that his firewall wouldn't work
in our network (we have a statewide network used by most of the
state agencies in Florida) promptly told us our network was at
fault and we should let him re-engineer it.

Yes, we have tunnels.  Yes, we have a few asymetric routes.  Yes,
we add and remove class C's on our network with amazing regularity.
There are good reasons for these things.  It is amazing to
me that the attitude quickly becomes "I know more than you do."  We
have been doing packet-filtering with Cisco routers for longer than
some of these guys have been out of school.  We know what we need
in the way of a firewall, reasonable bandwidth, ability to deal
with ftp, and the ability to handle a rather large number of
connections.  Number of connections being the all important
statistic, anybody can pump 100MBits in and 100MBits out.

It was rather amusing, we made a choice of firewalls, and dropped
back because the firewall wouldn't listen to routing info after
booting (I don't care if it only listens inside, it still needs
to listen) and, more importantly, when we did a

permit any any

it decided to block stuff through an asymetric route from an outside
source that was pretty well required.

Argh, </rant>

Roger
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The reply-to: address in the headers is a valid address, if you want
to send me e-mail just hit reply and it should work fine.  If your
newsreader is broken and can't deal with that then send your e-mail

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. getty_ps : "Couldn't open line to vhangup"

3. @Home RCA Cable Modem, RH 7.1, and a really really _weird_ problem

4. kde 2.1 starts on root but not regular user

5. Poopy pants guy is really annoying me...

6. Post install CDE on Solaris 8

7. This is really annoying me. Kmenu question.

8. Help! Error when compiling kernel.

9. AHA 950 (really annoyed now)

10. Really annoying X problem - HHHHEEEEELLLPPPPPPPP!!!!

11. Really bloody annoying....

12. really annoying problem w/ ET4000/w32

13. Permissions can really get annoying...