2 USB root hubs problem

Post by Chris Thomso » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:25:11

My system has 2 physical USB root hubs on the motherboard (One built in and
the other on a PCI card). I'm using Mandrake 7.2. Both work fine under
windows, but in Linux only the hub on the PCI card has it's devices
detected. Any idea why?

I'm fairly confident that Linux surports the builtin hub as my USB zip drive
which is connected to it was detected when I installed Mandrake but
disappeared as soon as the syetem booted.

Also, I know the zip drive is set up and configured, because if i plug it
into the PCI card it works fine.

Cheers

Chris

2 USB root hubs problem

Post by Tony Hag » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:04:40

>My system has 2 physical USB root hubs on the motherboard (One built in and
>the other on a PCI card). I'm using Mandrake 7.2. Both work fine under
>windows, but in Linux only the hub on the PCI card has it's devices
>detected. Any idea why?

My guess would be that one of the host controllers is uhci (e.g., Intel,
VIA), the other ohci (just about everyone else) and that you only have
the drivers for one of them compiled into the kernel/loaded as modules.
Have a look at /proc/pci or lspci, and see what you have if you don't
already know. I think (?) I am right in saying that a uhci controller
will appear in I/O space, ohci in memory.

Tony.
--

1. usb / hub / usb-storage problem with 2.4.2

Hi,

My Iomega Jaz USB drive has stopped working.  I'm not sure when, I know it
has worked since 2.4.0 but I haven't used it for a couple of weeks.

The problem is:

Feb 23 15:13:47 evansj kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2,
assigned device number 5
Feb 23 15:13:47 evansj kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=5
(error=-32)
Feb 23 15:13:48 evansj kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2,
assigned device number 6
Feb 23 15:13:48 evansj kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=6
(error=-32)

These mesages appear whenever the device is plugged in.

My USB mouse, in the other USB port, continues to work fine.

Jon.

Apologies if Outlook screws up the line wrapping...

-

2. FVWM: StdBackColor changes ignored

3. periodic USB errors "hub.c: USB disconnect..."

4. Why does 16bit color look bad in X??

5. connecting two machine using usb port and usb hub

6. Shell scripts in Linux/UNIX

7. lots of clicks and noise when USB headset behind USB hub (only in Linux).

8. internal modem(com3)

9. Control USB port power on USB hub

10. Problem using USB hub

11. Problem with USB 2.0 Hub

12. Kernel Problem: A7N266-C and USB Hub

13. How to restrict the Linux (OS) to limit the number of USB hubs