Modem Prob

Post by kaidemuyo » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 02:59:06

I've got a Conexant Doft56k Data, FAx Speaker PCI Modem (using the driver
cd) Installed on Win ME and Linux (Mandrake, ver. 8) Detects it as a
Rockwell International 56k PCI modem. However, when I try to dial up, it
always says that the modem is busy. What do I do?

Modem Prob

Post by Robert Heilin » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 03:23:24

> I've got a Conexant Doft56k Data, FAx Speaker PCI Modem (using the driver
> cd) Installed on Win ME and Linux (Mandrake, ver. 8) Detects it as a
> Rockwell International 56k PCI modem. However, when I try to dial up, it
> always says that the modem is busy. What do I do?

That's the same symptom I was having (busy). I believe you have a WinModem as
I just discovered that I have and it requires a special software driver, if
available. See:
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html  and
http://linmodems.org/
I'm currently trying to work this out on the thread: Re: MODEM PCTel HSP56
AMR on PCCHIPS M810

HTH

Bob

Modem Prob

Post by kaidemuyo » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 11:27:20

Okay, is there a way to manually compile a driver for the winmodem on any of
the terminals?

> > I've got a Conexant Doft56k Data, FAx Speaker PCI Modem (using the
driver
> > cd) Installed on Win ME and Linux (Mandrake, ver. 8) Detects it as a
> > Rockwell International 56k PCI modem. However, when I try to dial up, it
> > always says that the modem is busy. What do I do?

> That's the same symptom I was having (busy). I believe you have a WinModem
as
> I just discovered that I have and it requires a special software driver,
if
> available. See:
> http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html  and
> http://linmodems.org/
> I'm currently trying to work this out on the thread: Re: MODEM PCTel HSP56
> AMR on PCCHIPS M810

> HTH

> Bob

Modem Prob

Post by Robert Heilin » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 12:30:09

That's what I'm trying to get working with my modem right now. I saw some
Conexant stuff mentioned on those links I gave you that you might want to check
out.

> Okay, is there a way to manually compile a driver for the winmodem on any of
> the terminals?

> > > I've got a Conexant Doft56k Data, FAx Speaker PCI Modem (using the
> driver
> > > cd) Installed on Win ME and Linux (Mandrake, ver. 8) Detects it as a
> > > Rockwell International 56k PCI modem. However, when I try to dial up, it
> > > always says that the modem is busy. What do I do?

> > That's the same symptom I was having (busy). I believe you have a WinModem
> as
> > I just discovered that I have and it requires a special software driver,
> if
> > available. See:
> > http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html  and
> > http://linmodems.org/
> > I'm currently trying to work this out on the thread: Re: MODEM PCTel HSP56
> > AMR on PCCHIPS M810

> > HTH

> > Bob

Modem Prob

Post by Robert_ » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 17:03:55

> That's what I'm trying to get working with my modem right now. I saw some
> Conexant stuff mentioned on those links I gave you that you might want to
> check out.

>> Okay, is there a way to manually compile a driver for the winmodem on any of
>> the terminals?

>> driver

>> > That's the same symptom I was having (busy). I believe you have a WinModem
>> as
>> > I just discovered that I have and it requires a special software driver,
>> if
>> > available. See:
>> > http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html  and
>> > http://linmodems.org/
>> > I'm currently trying to work this out on the thread: Re: MODEM PCTel HSP56
>> > AMR on PCCHIPS M810

>> > HTH

>> > Bob

AFAIK there is no linux driver for the 2.4 kernel but there is for the 2.2x
http://www.olitec.com
Just click on the penquin and follow the links.
HTH
Robert_L
--
Registered Linux user #214645
remove spamfree when replying directly

Modem Prob

Post by kaidemuyo » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 22:51:02

"> >

Quote:> AFAIK there is no linux driver for the 2.4 kernel but there is for the
2.2x
> http://www.olitec.com
> Just click on the penquin and follow the links.
> HTH
> Robert_L
> --
> Registered Linux user #214645
> remove spamfree when replying directly

Does that mean that drivers compiled based on a specific kernel version are
not backwards-compatible with newer kernels? with linux, there's more than
one way to do stuff, right?

Modem Prob

Post by Rober » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:23:32

> "> >
>> AFAIK there is no linux driver for the 2.4 kernel but there is for the
> 2.2x
>> http://www.olitec.com
>> Just click on the penquin and follow the links. HTH
>> Robert_L
>> --
>> Registered Linux user #214645
>> remove spamfree when replying directly

> Does that mean that drivers compiled based on a specific kernel version
> are not backwards-compatible with newer kernels? with linux, there's
> more than one way to do stuff, right?

Do you mean "forwards compatible"?  All I know is that I had the driver
for 2.2.17 working in mandrake 7.2 and it would not work (as they
insist) in Mandrake 8.0 and the 2.4 kernel.  If you really know what you
are doing perhaps you COULD make it work, I don't know.  Perhaps a
someone will come up with a patch.  For myself, I went out and bought a
hardware modem.
Best of luck in any case,
Robert_L

Modem Prob

Post by kaidemuyo » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:21:51

Damn. And that's the second PCI modem I bought this month cause I lost the
drivers to my cheaper-ass modem! (sob).

How am I GONNA MAKE IT work??? Man, I gotta buy I new modem? AND I SPENT TWO
DAYS downloading a 650meg image file! ARRGH!

Quote:

> Do you mean "forwards compatible"?  All I know is that I had the driver
> for 2.2.17 working in mandrake 7.2 and it would not work (as they
> insist) in Mandrake 8.0 and the 2.4 kernel.  If you really know what you
> are doing perhaps you COULD make it work, I don't know.  Perhaps a
> someone will come up with a patch.  For myself, I went out and bought a
> hardware modem.
> Best of luck in any case,
> Robert_L

Modem Prob

Post by Robert_ » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 10:57:02

> Damn. And that's the second PCI modem I bought this month cause I lost the
> drivers to my cheaper-ass modem! (sob).

> How am I GONNA MAKE IT work??? Man, I gotta buy I new modem? AND I SPENT TWO
> DAYS downloading a 650meg image file! ARRGH!

Actually if you follow the threads at www.linmodems.org (archives), Olitec has
come out with a new driver for the 2.4 kernel but when they will release it no
one knows.
BTW it (the Olitec driver) only works with HSF not HCF modems.
Robert_L

Quote:

--
Registered Linux user #214645
remove spamfree when replying directly

Modem Prob

Post by kaidemuyo » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:17:04

Geez, I wouldn't be going thru all this trouble if My Windows ME wasn't an
illegal copy. Oh well, at least linux's free. But it's giving me a headache,
tho.

Hey, thanks to the robert guys who unfortunately tried to help me!

1. Sound card probs, modem probs. Help im cut off!!!!

Help me :::runs into linux vets:::

Well I need help with me sound card and modem. I have an AudioPCI for a
sound card and it will not work. I do not know if this is due to
changes, if any,  that gateway had the company do to it. The kernel is
compiled for AudioPCI support so I have no idea why it will not work.

My modem for some strang reason will not work on linux right now :( I
think it is due to the jumpers not being configured right on it but I am
not sure. It is a 3com U.S Robotics 56k Data/Fax/Voice v.90/x2 for an
ISA slot. It is not a winmodem :P

Please If any one can help out please do. I really want to make Linux my
prim OS and only use Windows when i have to. These two things are the
only thing keeping me from using linux for more then 2 or 3 hours a day.

Thanks for the help,
James Danilowicz
Linux Newbie :(

2. simple DNS question

3. USR Modem Prob / Cable Modems

4. sco-ppp-->aix help

5. MODEM PROB NEED HELP

6. Network card settings

7. modem prob. after Redhat6.0 upgrade

8. Redhat standard, professional and advance server

9. Supra modem prob

10. Another newbie with a modem prob...

11. WEIRD modem probs under RHL 5.1

12. Modem probs in slak 3.6 - Anyone?

13. DAX 56k modem prob in redhat linux 6.2