Gravis Ultrasound Plug'n'play

Post by Chris Eilbe » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone tried to use Linux with a Gravis Ultrasound PnP card.  I realise
that the Max card works but I've heard a few horror stories about getting
plug and play cards to work (even with Win95).

Any takers?

Chris
--

Room PC126, DRA Malvern. Tel +44 1684 896083. Fax +44 1684 896121

Post by SkiBum [CS » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: Has anyone tried to use Linux with a Gravis Ultrasound PnP card.  I realise
: that the Max card works but I've heard a few horror stories about getting
: plug and play cards to work (even with Win95).
:
: Any takers?

        It works just fine as a Max using Perex's loadable module.  If
you have a questions, just e-mail me back.

--
Brad Borgald            Networks
Computing Services      University of New Brunswick

Linux!  Solomon,        No Fear!  GUS PnP,      The North Face
If I wanted to be able to spell, I would have taken Arts...

Post by SkiBu » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> >       It works just fine as a Max using Perex's loadable module.  If
> >you have a questions, just e-mail me back.

> I'm just about to purchase the GUS PnP and am wondering about Pro vs
> regular.  As I understand it, all the Pro has is 512k extra on it?
> Surely this can't be right?  512k != ~$40(us).  (I think $40 is the
> difference between PnP and PnP pro)

        I bought a Pro becuase that was what they had in stock, and it
was an impusle buy :)  I still have my old Gus Rev 2.4 sitting here on my
desk.  Both cards sound pretty much the same, but I have yet to take
advantage of the Interwave natively.

Quote:> Anyway, If you have any tips for me (or even a decent place to mail order
> from) please tell me.  As I understood it, PnP support for Linux is
> coming out RSN, any word on that?

        RSN?  Ready, soon, never?!?  PnP support should come out shortly
after AMD releases the SDK, was supposed to be this month, but as yet, we
haven't heard anything.

Quote:> Isn't it funny that the One thing that was supposed to make hardware
> easier to install (pnp) seems to only be making it more difficult for the
> real operating systems of this world?

        If only it was like the 3-Com 3c509 and you could turn PnP
off...  ohh well, I was using loadlin before I started using the PnP, so
no new hassels.

Quote:> Just another EE,

        hehe, ERTW...

Quote:> "The trouble with calling tech support is that you end up talking
> to someone whose best career option is to work in tech support"

        Try calling IBM or even better ACER tech suport...