DVD's & Linux

Post by Roaste » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi

I've just bought a Pioneer internal DVD player for my PC - and was
wondering on my options / chances of Software playback of DVD's in Linux???

Specs:

PII 400, 128 Ram, TNT video cards and Creative Live sound card.

Playback is OK in Windows with a software player.  I was wondering of the
kind of Linux software available, with regeon decoding (that I heard, bit
legaly dubious) etc.

Any info appreciated.

Cheers.

Chris.

DVD's & Linux

Post by David Ackla » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

check out www.opendvd.org

Due to the rather obnoxious & monopolistic behavior of the MPAA, the major
linux distributions do not include DVD viewing software (to avoid a
lawsuit). You can, however, get DVD software from www.opendvd.org

As for enabling the player, you have to get a kernel patch from that site
and recompile your kernel.

Quote:> Hi

> I've just bought a Pioneer internal DVD player for my PC - and was
> wondering on my options / chances of Software playback of DVD's in
Linux???

> Specs:

> PII 400, 128 Ram, TNT video cards and Creative Live sound card.

> Playback is OK in Windows with a software player.  I was wondering of the
> kind of Linux software available, with regeon decoding (that I heard, bit
> legaly dubious) etc.

> Any info appreciated.

> Cheers.

> Chris.

DVD's & Linux

Post by ms » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi

>I've just bought a Pioneer internal DVD player for my PC - and was
>wondering on my options / chances of Software playback of DVD's in
>Linux???

http://linuxvideo.org

MST

DVD's & Linux

Post by Roaste » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> check out www.opendvd.org

> Due to the rather obnoxious & monopolistic behavior of the MPAA, the
major
> linux distributions do not include DVD viewing software (to avoid a
> lawsuit). You can, however, get DVD software from www.opendvd.org

> As for enabling the player, you have to get a kernel patch from that site
> and recompile your kernel.

OK - have done the kernel re-compile etc no probs, even downloaded a new
sound driver for the live from the nice folks at creative - but am having a
LOT of hassle with the DVD dvd playback.

The process of creating the keys for each individual segment of the DVD
before playback is sooo annoying!!  It took me ages to realise (from the
README and not the summary instructions) that you have to create tons of
these files before playing the DVD.  Can this be automated more easily in
some way?

Also playback is a bit patchy on my machine (fine in Win, much worse
playback in Lin with a KDE d/t etc.).

Cheers

Chris.

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. Yamaha EIDE CRW4416E, SCSI CRW4416S

3. DVD movies: Linux & OGLE superior to W2K & player

4. Where has all my memory gone?

5. Cdrecord-ProDVD now supports DVD+RW & DVD+R

6. Newbie question on setting up 16bpp

7. DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's

8. No grahics viewer in RedHat 5.1: No xv, no ee

9. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

10. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

11. Burning DVD's and CD's with Pioneer DVR-A03 and Red Hat Linux

12. Linux Newbie - Can't get Linux v7.0 to recognize DVD-CDROM

13. Want bash '&' to behave like csh '&'