Booting from A2920/scsi

Post by Walter Fayn » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

I am unable to get my linux system to boot from a scsi drive attached to
an adaptec 2920 scsi controller.

system configuration (very simple!):
  supermicro p5mms98 motherboard w/ p166mmx
  ati rage 2+ pci video
  adaptec a2920 pci scsi controller
  seagate 2.1G scsi hard disk in removable carrier
  ?? scsi cdrom

symptoms (booting from win95 via loadlin):
  - a string of 'unknown pci device' messages (5 messages total; i don't
know what they say because they scroll by too fast to read)
 - normal string of boot messages
 - a vfs message to the effect that the system is unable to find/mount
the root file system
 - a kernel panic message followed by nothing

i have tried kernels with future domain scsi support from
  -- custom compiled kernel
  -- redhat distribution cd rom
  -- slackware boot kernels from sunsite
none of these kernels work.

a possible problem: the redhat documentation says that the boot drive
must live at scsi id 1 or 0; however, the a2920 requires the boot drive
to live at scsi id 6 (can't boot win95 with any other scsi id)

The current system configuration is identical to that at work; the scsi
drive is mounted in a removable carrier so i can move stuff back and
forth between work and home.

is there any way to get linux to boot on this system, or am i going to
have to go piece together my old 386/20 that i thought i'd be able to
get rid of?

[...]

1. booting from a2920/scsi

I am unable to get my linux system to boot from a scsi drive attached to

an adaptec 2920 scsi controller.

system configuration (very simple!):
 - supermicro p5mms98 motherboard w/  intel p166mmx
[...]

2. file open

3. SCSI + IDE HD, how to boot from SCSI?

4. Solaris2.4 slow communication speed

5. Boot disk for SCSI(Q-Logic) w/non SCSI CD

6. [v850] Add v850 support for hardware single-step (via ptrace)

7. SCSI CD / SB16 SCSI Boot Errors

8. comp.unix.sco Technical FAQ (2/3)

9. anyone able to boot from SCSI in mixed SCSI/IDE system???

10. Need boot image for FD SCSI & PAS SCSI

11. Booting from floppy to SCSI disk on a SB16 SCSI-2

12. Adding a SCSI controller changing boot drive to SCSI drive

13. IDE + SCSI but boot SCSI