Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by Dave Washbur » Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:04:58



Hello,
I just acquired an apparently-working NEC 4-CD changer (at a yard sale
for $3!) and have put it into my Fedora Core 2 machine, but Fedora's
stock CD player can only see the first slot, and xmcd can't read any of
them.  I suspect I'm lacking a driver or some such, because xmcd says it
should be able to read multiple-disc drives, and when I installed the
program I told it what to expect with this drive.  So I'm guessing that
I lack a module of some sort?  I googled this group and the newest
message I could find about such things was from 1996 and the web page
cited there no longer exists.  I do have the sample program in the
kernel documentation file ide-cd but I don't know what to do with it or
how to get these other programs to interact with it (if they even can).
  I mainly want to play music CD's with this drive, and haven't really
tried it with data CD's under Linux.  (Windows XP couldn't even play
music properly from the first slot, much less do anything with the rest.
  Fedora 2 plays fine out of the first slot, which just goes to show
who's superior to whom!)

Can someone give me some guidance here?  I know a fair bit about Linux,
but I'm way over my head on this one.

Thanks,
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:45:56


On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:04:58 -0600, Dave Washburn staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> I just acquired an apparently-working NEC 4-CD changer (at a yard sale
> for $3!) and have put it into my Fedora Core 2 machine, but Fedora's
> stock CD player can only see the first slot

Is this thing IDE or SCSI?  Multiple-CD changers typically need to use
ide-scsi emulation if they're IDE.  All multiple-slot CD changers must
have multiple LUN support enabled in your kernel config.

Quote:> So I'm guessing that I lack a module of some sort?  I googled this
> group and the newest message I could find about such things was from
> 1996

I know I've posted several messages about multiple-CD changers since
1999.  Which keywords did you use?  Try dfferent ones.

Quote:> Can someone give me some guidance here?  I know a fair bit about
> Linux, but I'm way over my head on this one.

If the device is IDE, use ide-scsi emulation and treat the device like a
SCSI CD-ROM.  If you let the ide-cd module get ahold of the device, you
will only be able to use the first CD slot.  Make sure that multiple LUN
support is set to Y.  If not, you'll have to rebuild your kernel with
that set, and reboot.

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!
-----------------------------/ http://crow202.dyndns.org/~mhgraham/resume

 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by J. Rando » Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:39:34



> Hello,
> I just acquired an apparently-working NEC 4-CD changer

I think I used to have one of those.  Sounds familiar in any case.  Your
CD-ROM loads in a fashion similar to a car CD player, correct?

Quote:> Fedora's stock CD player can only see the first slot, and xmcd can't
> read any of them.  

That's because you can only have one slot active at a time.  Your drive
only has one reading mechanism.  The discs are swapped internally as
needed.

Quote:> I suspect I'm lacking a driver or some such, because xmcd says it
> should be able to read multiple-disc drives, and when I installed the
> program I told it what to expect with this drive.  So I'm guessing that
> I lack a module of some sort?  

Nope.  The plain IDE-CD code in the kernel works fine for these.

Quote:> I do have the sample program in the
> kernel documentation file ide-cd but I don't know what to do with it or
> how to get these other programs to interact with it (if they even can).

I don't know anything about this.  You're on your own for that part.

Quote:>   I mainly want to play music CD's with this drive, and haven't really
> tried it with data CD's under Linux.

I primarily used mine for data discs, particularly when I was physically
away from my system for a few days.  The overall setup should be the
same.

Quote:> Can someone give me some guidance here?  I know a fair bit about Linux,
> but I'm way over my head on this one.

Try:  man eject
Look up the -c parameter.

Jason

 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by Dave Washbur » Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:47:13



> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:04:58 -0600, Dave Washburn staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:

"staggered into the Black Sun."  I LIKE IT!!!!        

Quote:>>I just acquired an apparently-working NEC 4-CD changer (at a yard sale
>>for $3!) and have put it into my Fedora Core 2 machine, but Fedora's
>>stock CD player can only see the first slot

> Is this thing IDE or SCSI?  Multiple-CD changers typically need to use
> ide-scsi emulation if they're IDE.  All multiple-slot CD changers must
> have multiple LUN support enabled in your kernel config.

IDE.  And forgive my ignorance, but what's a LUN?

Quote:>>So I'm guessing that I lack a module of some sort?  I googled this
>>group and the newest message I could find about such things was from
>>1996

> I know I've posted several messages about multiple-CD changers since
> 1999.  Which keywords did you use?  Try dfferent ones.

I searched using "cd changer" without the quotes and sorted by date.

Quote:>>Can someone give me some guidance here?  I know a fair bit about
>>Linux, but I'm way over my head on this one.

> If the device is IDE, use ide-scsi emulation and treat the device like a
> SCSI CD-ROM.  If you let the ide-cd module get ahold of the device, you
> will only be able to use the first CD slot.  Make sure that multiple LUN
> support is set to Y.  If not, you'll have to rebuild your kernel with
> that set, and reboot.

Where do I set this or see how it's set?

Thankx,
Dave

 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by Dave Washbur » Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:50:04




>>Hello,
>>I just acquired an apparently-working NEC 4-CD changer

> I think I used to have one of those.  Sounds familiar in any case.  Your
> CD-ROM loads in a fashion similar to a car CD player, correct?

Yup.  Sucks the disc right in.

Quote:>>Fedora's stock CD player can only see the first slot, and xmcd can't
>>read any of them.  

> That's because you can only have one slot active at a time.  Your drive
> only has one reading mechanism.  The discs are swapped internally as
> needed.

That much I knew...see below.

Quote:>>I suspect I'm lacking a driver or some such, because xmcd says it
>>should be able to read multiple-disc drives, and when I installed the
>>program I told it what to expect with this drive.  So I'm guessing that
>>I lack a module of some sort?  

> Nope.  The plain IDE-CD code in the kernel works fine for these.

OK, that being the case, how do I train a CD player program to do the
disc swapping?  That's what I can't figure out.

Quote:>>I do have the sample program in the
>>kernel documentation file ide-cd but I don't know what to do with it or
>>how to get these other programs to interact with it (if they even can).

> I don't know anything about this.  You're on your own for that part.

>>  I mainly want to play music CD's with this drive, and haven't really
>>tried it with data CD's under Linux.

> I primarily used mine for data discs, particularly when I was physically
> away from my system for a few days.  The overall setup should be the
> same.

What exactly is this "overall setup"?  Again I emphasize that I'm
starting at rock bottom here, knowledge-wise...

Quote:>>Can someone give me some guidance here?  I know a fair bit about Linux,
>>but I'm way over my head on this one.

> Try:  man eject
> Look up the -c parameter.

I'll take a look.
Thanks,
Dave
 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by J. Rando » Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:41:58



> OK, that being the case, how do I train a CD player program to do the
> disc swapping?  That's what I can't figure out.

I think you're CD player program would have to be able to make the same
system calls as the "eject -c" command does.  I'm guessing it's entirely
player dependent.  There's likely no magic bullet that will fix
everything.

Quote:> What exactly is this "overall setup"?  Again I emphasize that I'm
> starting at rock bottom here, knowledge-wise...

For me, it was simply installing the drive as I would any other CD-ROM.
It was picked up instantly by my kernel at the time.  I didn't need to
tweak the BIOS or anything.  I'm pretty sure it was only seen as one hdX
entry by Linux, but four different drives under Windows.  It's been years,
though.  The only thing I did to really make things easier on myself was
writing a few trivial shell scripts that would unmount the drive, change
the active disc, then remount that disc on /mnt/cdrom for me.  Since
you're just worried about audio, you don't even have to worry about
mounting.

Quote:>> Try:  man eject
>> Look up the -c parameter.

> I'll take a look.

It's good stuff.  I'm not aware of any other program that makes the same
syscalls, but I'm positive there's more.  Check Freshmeat or Sourceforge
for CD changer programs.  You might just find a module or patch for the
audio player you're wanting to use.

Hopefully, your drive will have a longer duty life than mine did.  The one
I bought (secondhand, of course) worked for a month or two, then developed
a read problem.  After I'd put a disc in, it wouldn't be recognized as
having media loaded.  The drive would eject the disc shortly thereafter. I
tried all the lens-cleaning type stuff, but nothing helped.  RIP little
drive.

 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by John Thompso » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:54:35




>> Is this thing IDE or SCSI?  Multiple-CD changers typically need to use
>> ide-scsi emulation if they're IDE.  All multiple-slot CD changers must
>> have multiple LUN support enabled in your kernel config.
> IDE.  And forgive my ignorance, but what's a LUN?

"Logical unit number":

  CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN:

  If you have a SCSI device that supports more than one LUN (Logical
  Unit Number), e.g. a CD jukebox, and only one LUN is detected, you
  can say Y here to force the SCSI driver to probe for multiple LUNs.
  A SCSI device with multiple LUNs acts logically like multiple SCSI
  devices. The vast majority of SCSI devices have only one LUN, and
  so most people can say N here and should in fact do so, because it
  is safer.

I'm not sure how or if this would work with IDE devices. Perhaps using
IDE-SCSI emulation?

--


 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by Rick Moe » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:18:44





>> IDE.  And forgive my ignorance, but what's a LUN?

> "Look-up number".  For when you have multiple devices at one SCSI address.

I like that, as a retcon, but it's actually Logical Unit Number.

--
Cheers,                                      "My file system's got no nodes!"
Rick Moen                                    "How does it shell?"

 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by Dave Washbur » Wed, 29 Sep 2004 01:11:47




>>OK, that being the case, how do I train a CD player program to do the
>>disc swapping?  That's what I can't figure out.

> I think you're CD player program would have to be able to make the same
> system calls as the "eject -c" command does.  I'm guessing it's entirely
> player dependent.  There's likely no magic bullet that will fix
> everything.

xmcd says it can deal with multiple-disc drives, but it couldn't read
this one (not even the first [virtual] slot).  So it would appear that I
need to do this multiple LUN thing before it'll work...
 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by Dave Washbur » Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:14:10





>>>Is this thing IDE or SCSI?  Multiple-CD changers typically need to use
>>>ide-scsi emulation if they're IDE.  All multiple-slot CD changers must
>>>have multiple LUN support enabled in your kernel config.

>>IDE.  And forgive my ignorance, but what's a LUN?

> "Logical unit number":

>   CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN:

Where perzactly do I put this?

Thanks,
Dave

 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:45:31


On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:14:10 -0600, Dave Washburn staggered into the
Black Sun and said:




>>>>Is this thing IDE or SCSI?  Multiple-CD changers typically need to
>>>>use ide-scsi emulation if they're IDE.  All multiple-slot CD
>>>>changers must have multiple LUN support enabled in your kernel
>>>IDE.  And forgive my ignorance, but what's a LUN?
>> "Logical unit number":
>>   CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN:

> Where perzactly do I put this?

Make sure the Linux kernel source is installed.  It should be on your
distro CDs.  If not, it's on ftp.kernel.org .  Install or unpack the
source, because you're going to have to recompile your kernel!  It's fun
but there are traps for the unwary.  You might want to read the Kernel
HOWTO at http://tldp.org/ before trying this out.

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
(note whether SCSI support is set to * (built-in) or M (modules))
SCSI Support->Probe All LUNs on each SCSI device [Y]
(exit, saving changes)

if SCSI support was modular, do this:
make modules modules_install
...unload all the SCSI modules with rmmod, reload them with modprobe,
everything should be OK.

if SCSI support was built-in, things will be more annoying.
make bzImage modules modules_install
mv arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.NN
if using LILO, edit /etc/lilo.conf to add a stanza for your new kernel
and rerun lilo.  Reboot.  Choose new kernel from LILO: prompt.
if using GRUB, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to add a stanza for your new
kernel.  No need to rerun GRUB.  Reboot.  Choose new kernel from GRUB
menu.

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!
-----------------------------/ http://crow202.dyndns.org/~mhgraham/resume

 
 
 

Driver/program that supports NEC CD changer?

Post by Holger Peterse » Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:43:37



>Hello,
>I just acquired an apparently-working NEC 4-CD changer (at a yard sale
>for $3!)

I got mine for about 100$ (some years ago :-)

Quote:>    I do have the sample program in the
>kernel documentation file ide-cd but I don't know what to do with it

let the C-compiler produce an executable.
Then, run that executable.

Quote:>Can someone give me some guidance here?

Do you have a C-Compiler installed?
Asuming, that you extracted the code to a file 'changer.c':

 gcc -o changer changer.c  

Quote:>    I know a fair bit about Linux,
>but I'm way over my head on this one.

Good luck, Holger

PS: the program must be run as root, AFAIR

 
 
 

1. Does Linux support NEC 8X4 IDE CD-ROM changer?

Does Linux support NEC 8X4 IDE CD-ROM changer?  If so, can anyone
point me to a FAQ or HOW-TO?

Please e-mail me if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Shirley
Remove S P A M to decode my email address.

2. Kernel 1.3....

3. keyboard trace program

4. CD-R and CD changer support in Solaris?

5. Start a listen() on a socket, stop it, then start it again

6. CD-changers with Linux: Nec 4x4?

7. 850 Meg IDE Harddrive

8. nec 4 disc ide cd changer

9. Nec 4x4 cd changer

10. NEC multspin CD Changer

11. NEC 7 cd changer CDROM help

12. NEC CD-ROM Changer