Western Digital hard drives are garbage

Post by messen.. » Fri, 20 May 2005 10:40:02

I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

Western Digital hard drives are garbage

Post by Bo » Fri, 20 May 2005 11:23:04

Quote:>I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
>complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

You need to quit abusing them.

--

Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html

A liberal is a person who is so open minded
that their brains have fallen out.

Post by Frank es » Fri, 20 May 2005 11:48:39

>> I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars
>> are
>> complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

> You need to quit abusing them.

shhhh

Post by Randall Ainswort » Fri, 20 May 2005 12:30:06

> I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
> complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

Maxtor isn't bad and WDs are fine. But Seagate is pure crap.

Post by Impmo » Fri, 20 May 2005 12:34:24

Quote:>I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
>complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

Unfortunately mileages do vary a lot among users.  Unless there's a
known issue with a certain models, usually the hard drives do well.  A
failure is either caused by a defect or by improper cooling or voltage
or from static electricity.  Voltage we can handle, we just need to
get good power supply and we can avoid static discharge with proper
handling.  Cooling is maintained with proper ventilation and fans.
Defective drives usually go bad before the warranty expires.

I haven't had any WD go bad since the old 200 MB started doing a bad
opera show and I have 4 of them right now.  I have had a bad luck with
Maxtor before with 3 of them going bad before warranty expired.  Never
had other brand going bad before (IBM, Seagate, Quantum, Connor,
Micropolis, etc and I know some are no longer around)
too late.    - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX

Post by J.. » Fri, 20 May 2005 12:54:01

>>I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
>>complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

>You need to quit abusing them.

I have to say, I've heard for years that "WD" is the best, and that
Maxtor is crap, but I have used Maxtors to WDs in a ratio of about 2:1,
and I have seen 2 WDs fail, and no Maxtors.
--

 <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Post by Perfect Reig » Fri, 20 May 2005 13:36:05

Quote:> I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
> complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

Damn!  You mean the Caviar I've had in my machine for the past two years is
gonna go bad in less than a year???

I need Superman to fly really fast backwards so we can go back in time and
I'll take the drive out and replace it with a Barracuda or something prior
to the time it should've gone bad.

--
kai

Post by Me » Fri, 20 May 2005 14:04:44

Quote:>I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
>complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

I've run nothing but WD Special Edition 8meg cache drives since they
came out. I've had at least 8 of them spinning 24/7 for well over a
year (probably 2) and have yet to see even one of them so much as
hiccup. What on earth are you doing to those things?

Clues:
1.Don't wad cables up and shove them over the drives. That acts as
insulation and causes them to overheat which KILLS them.
2. Most cases have a place for a case fan that blows through the drive
bays FOR A REASON. Run a case fan blowing over those drives to cool
them.

Post by Bernard Rothe » Fri, 20 May 2005 17:12:45

> I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
> complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

last month I had a Seagate 120gig SATA fail and two weeks later a
Seagate 80gig IDE fail. Both were on a plastic rack with a fan blowing
over them. The other Seagate 80 & Maxtor 40 gigs are still up and
running in the same frame. Surge supressor in DB board, powerstrip is
also surge suppressed and PC power is supplied by a Landman 1250A UPS.
I've replace the 2 failed drives with 120gig SATA IBM Deskstars ( one
was under guarantee )

Was working as usual and for no reason at all I was unable to access the
drives. No bumps, jolts etc. ...... just sitting here quietly doing my
CAD drawings and saving as I go along and suddenly the drives no longer
show up. Machines also run 24/7 unless we're away for the weekend.

Strangely, the Maxtor is the smallest and oldest HDD and still going
strong. One 120 gig is my work drive and the remainder are backup units.

Any comments on the IBM Deskstars ??    So I know what to expect ;-)

Bernard

Western Digital hard drives are garbage

Post by Shadow_ » Fri, 20 May 2005 18:00:39

Quote:> I have to say, I've heard for years that "WD" is the best, and that
> Maxtor is crap, but I have used Maxtors to WDs in a ratio of about 2:1,
> and I have seen 2 WDs fail, and no Maxtors.

In recent years, I've heard Maxtors are the worst.  At least recent
models, especially the external usb drives.  The reviews I've read seem to
indicate they fail consistently after one year of use.  I have a 10G and
30G maxtor IDE drives myself.  And the 30G drive failed a couple months
ago after some seven or so years of use.  Although it's been in a box that
spent most of the past three years turned off.  The 10G seems to still be
functioning although it too has spent most of the past three years in the
same box.

I have an 80G WD usb drive, that seems fairly stable.  Although it has
it's quirks.  usb-storage doesn't seem to like large files of certain
types, but if I gzip them they seem to copy just fine, even if they're
technically larger than the originals.

I had a 300G Seagate usb/firewire drive that failed after three days.
Although the failure was the usb casing as far as I could tell and not
the drive. I still have and use a 4.3G seagate drive in my router. Which
was a replacement for a quantum bigfoot CY drive that failed after 9
months. The replacement 300G seagate drive of the same make/model is still
working, but has quirks and is utterly unuseable for anything I plan on
keeping.  I'm thinking of cracking that case and using the IDE drive
inside it as an IDE drive since it doesn't play well with linux and
usb-storage.  It's just really frustrating to spend $300 on something and
not be able to trust it not to function for it's intended function. hdparm
supposedly has a -Z option to keep it from randomly stopping even while
copying a large file to it, or reading .mp3's from it, but I've yet to get
it to work.  Even on my other 40G seagate IDE drive. Both have model
numbers that are supposed to function on the -Z option.  But apparently
don't.  ST3.......

In the old days Maxtors were good and Western Digitals were crap.  These
days that role seems to have reversed.  Seagates have been considered good
drives as the higher price would seem to indicate.  But based on recent
notes in kernel changelogs and whatnot that seems to be changing as well.
...adding yet another seagate drive to some blacklist or something...

Shadow_7

Post by Old Bugge » Fri, 20 May 2005 18:17:43

Quote:>I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
>complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

I have 6 WD drives  2x80 2x120 and 2x200 gig) here up to 3 years old.  All are working just fine.  So is my
200 gig Seagate and even my 6 year old 20 gig Quantum is fine.

Come to think of it, I have only had 1 drive fail over the past 10 years.  It was a Fujitsu 40 gig unit.  In
that time I have owned somewhere around 25 hard drives.

Post by Andrew Schulma » Fri, 20 May 2005 18:21:51

Quote:> I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
> complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

Six is a lot, but anecdotes as a rule are useless.  For an attempt at a
rational view of the subject, see the Reliability Survey at
http://www.storagereview.com/.

--
To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"

Post by M?ns Rullg?r » Fri, 20 May 2005 20:04:56

>> I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
>> complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

> Maxtor isn't bad and WDs are fine. But Seagate is pure crap.

The opinions seem to diverge wildly on this issue.

In the last few years I've used one Seagate 40G, 5 Seagate Barracuda
120G, 2 Seagate Barracuda 160G SATA, one WD 80G, one Hitachi
Travelstar 40G, one Fujitsu-Siemens 80G laptop drive, and a bunch of
ancient Quantum Fireball SCSI drives.  The WD dropped dead a week
after the warranty expired.  The Hitachi gradually decayed, and is no
longer readable at all.  One Seagate 120G was DOA, replaced under
warranty.  One Quantum Fireball has some bad sectors.  The rest are
still working flawlessly.  All have had the power on more than off.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Post by Onideus Mad Hatte » Fri, 20 May 2005 20:09:48

Quote:>I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
>complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

Who did you buy them from?  10 to 1 says all from the same outfit.

Don't be such a naive, stupid *, teh manufacturing process of
anything is certainly variable.  Hell bells, I bet yer dumbass bought
em from some company that said something like:
"White Label Name Brand Drives - Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital"
Which basically means they bought the factory seconds from Western
Digital, etc, etc but then had to put a white label on em.  And given
your stupidity you probably didn't realize you were essentially being
scammed (alhtough you'd have to be pretty gawd damn RETARDED to fall
for it...you seem like the type though).

 --

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm 1 x 1

Western Digital hard drives are garbage

Post by Yomamma Bin Crawdadd » Fri, 20 May 2005 20:50:57

On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:30:06 -0700, Randall Ainsworth

>> I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
>> complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

>Maxtor isn't bad and WDs are fine. But Seagate is pure crap.

I've had a Seagate External removable SCSI for ten years.
Have had t WD's go bad this year alone.
I'd have to disagree with you.
It also could be that WD changed a manufacturing process
and are having some problems.
I know plenty of people who are having problems this year
with WD drives.
:-)
Yomamma bin Crawdaddin                                               www.cotse.com
Brotherhood (Vice Chairman)
Anti Archangel #41                                  The difference between John Kerry and Ted Kennedy is
Stalking Filth #69.5                                                                    that Ted Kennedy has at least one confirmed kill.
Quote:>--|

 <:((>>>><
Quote:>--|

--

1. UltraDMA Western Digital Hard Drive

I am looking at getting an UltraDMA Western Digital hard drive, and
giving the entire thing to Linux.  I keep seeing information about
kernel patches for UDMA, so how would I go about installing Linux on a
UDMA hard drive if I have to patch the kernel to support the drive?

---
Michael S. Moulton    UZ 541+UUD Lord Bodak

http://members.aol.com/MSMoulton/

2. partitions not cleanly unmounted with 2.1.5x kernels

3. Western Digital 212 MEG Hard Drives **NICE PRICE**!!!

4. Metakit 2.4.7 and FlightGear 0.8.0

5. Geometry problems with new Western Digital hard drives

6. How to direct mail out from AIX through 1 single machine

7. Western Digital hard drive and DMA

8. Vmark's Universe 7.0, anyone know it?

9. HELP! : Western Digital AC2850 Hard Drive wont mount!

10. western digital hard drive

11. Red Hat 5.1 crashed Western Digital IDE Hard Drives

12. Western Digital hard drive (new) won't boot -- geometry?

13. Western Digital 212 MEG Hard Drives **NICE PRICE**!!!