will a USR5686E work?

Post by Stuart » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:06:41

i want a working modem for linux for christmas and i need to know if a US
Robotics  USR5686E modem will work.
will someone please tell me if this has worked for them under linux?

thanks in advance,

Stuart

will a USR5686E work?

Post by Boris Bu » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:09:18

> i want a working modem for linux for christmas and i need to know if a US
> Robotics  USR5686E modem will work.
> will someone please tell me if this has worked for them under linux?

> thanks in advance,

> Stuart

Chances are it won't work as well as you would like. I bought the
internal version of this modem 5610B, and there is not Unix/Linux
drivers on CD, not there are free drivers. When I e-mailed tech
support they told me they have no plans developing drivers for Unix,
and so I may wait till someone of open source movement wir ll write
drivers fothem. As for call waiting (which is the major feature for
which I bought the modem) under Linux (I have RedHat 7.2) the modem
simply drops Internet connection without letting me to choose whether
I want to answer the call.
Also, the first modem I got from them died one week after I bought it,
and I had to wait another half-week to get it replaced. This modem has
sporadic glitches, but generally behaves ok.

Boris

1. Kernel-nfs working, plain nfs not working.

I have an interesting problem:

I need to run the user nfs daemon, so I shut down the kernel nfs
(nfsserver) and tried to load plain ol' nfs --> /etc/init.d/nfs start.
However I'm getting the following message:

"Importing Net File System (NFS) mount: RPC: Program not registered"

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

...aw.

--
SuSE 7.3/Bash
__| Thanks! |__

2. no "comma" under KDE 1.1 running RH5.2

3. USB not working with 2.5.69, worked with .68

4. FTP file retrieval from within a program

5. ATI Xpert@Work works on Red Hat 5.0 Here's how.

6. hot key in dtterm

7. Lucent Venus modem worked for about 1/2 hour then stopped working

8. Need Assistance with Number 9 I-128

9. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

10. Man doesn't work or need some work from SLS release !!!

11. Works statically, but can't get DHCP working

12. Workstations can work only on 852 and system works on 437 code page ???

13. Worked, then quit working...