Redhat 8.0 and Promise PDC20265R FastTrak100-lite

Redhat 8.0 and Promise PDC20265R FastTrak100-lite

Post by Michael Du » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 07:39:47

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way of resolving the problem Redhat
seems to have with Promise PDC20265R FastTrak100-lite controllers.
Basically on install, the controller acts as a ide controller as
opposed to a raid controller so any disk that are paired in a strip
are not detected as a single volume.  There is a fix for the problem
on Promise's site under linux support, but it only applies to 7.2 and
7.3.  I was hoping Redhat would fix this issue with the 8.0 release,
since they seem to be the only distro that has this problem.

Any help is appreciated,
-M

Redhat 8.0 and Promise PDC20265R FastTrak100-lite

Post by Whoeve » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 08:16:36

Quote:> Hi,

> Does anyone know if there is a way of resolving the problem Redhat
> seems to have with Promise PDC20265R FastTrak100-lite controllers.
> Basically on install, the controller acts as a ide controller as
> opposed to a raid controller so any disk that are paired in a strip
> are not detected as a single volume.  There is a fix for the problem
> on Promise's site under linux support, but it only applies to 7.2 and
> 7.3.  I was hoping Redhat would fix this issue with the 8.0 release,
> since they seem to be the only distro that has this problem.

Can you tell me if the controller can be used in a software RAID
configuration? I plan to get a MB with 2 standard IDE controllers, and the
Promise Fasttrak RAID. Then use the Promise in JBOD (Just a Bunch Of
Drives) mode and set up a software RAID-5 configuration for 3 of the
drives (one each on the Promise controllers and one on the standard IDE
channels).

The machine will have plenty of CPU power to compute the parity needed for
the RAID-5 configuration.

Any problems with this plan?

Post by spi.. » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:42:38

> Hi,
> Does anyone know if there is a way of resolving the problem Redhat
> seems to have with Promise PDC20265R FastTrak100-lite controllers.
> Basically on install, the controller acts as a ide controller as
> opposed to a raid controller so any disk that are paired in a strip
> are not detected as a single volume.  There is a fix for the problem
> on Promise's site under linux support, but it only applies to 7.2 and
> 7.3.  I was hoping Redhat would fix this issue with the 8.0 release,
> since they seem to be the only distro that has this problem.

Every distro has this problem. (I imagine SuSE has the same problem with
8.1) The thing is, the promise controllers CAN be used for IDE or for RAID.
Without the RAID drivers, you're stuck with IDE, and the RAID drivers in
question are the ones on the promise site.

And promise always lag behind the current kernel/distro version by a a few
months. (at least).

My suggestion, fallback to the Redhat 2.4.18 kernel.
Then the driver'll work.

Redhat 8.0 and Promise PDC20265R FastTrak100-lite

Post by John Mazz » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:31:57

I've tried it with the SX/2000 controller and have the same problem.  The
Promise driver doesn't yet work with RH 8.0.

Post by spi.. » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:17:30

> I've tried it with the SX/2000 controller and have the same problem.  The
> Promise driver doesn't yet work with RH 8.0.

As I said, the only barrier is the kernel version, so if you fall back to
the 2.4.18 from RH7.3, it'll work.

Post by Splash Dav » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:03:12

> > I've tried it with the SX/2000 controller and have the same problem.  The
> > Promise driver doesn't yet work with RH 8.0.

> As I said, the only barrier is the kernel version, so if you fall back to
> the 2.4.18 from RH7.3, it'll work.

How does one set up drives as simply IDE. I was mirroring two
IDE's--can I just delete the Array, without losing my data and use a
single drive until an 8.0 kernel driver comes out?

Post by spi.. » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:11:05

>> > I've tried it with the SX/2000 controller and have the same problem.  The
>> > Promise driver doesn't yet work with RH 8.0.

>> As I said, the only barrier is the kernel version, so if you fall back to
>> the 2.4.18 from RH7.3, it'll work.
> How does one set up drives as simply IDE. I was mirroring two
> IDE's--can I just delete the Array, without losing my data and use a
> single drive until an 8.0 kernel driver comes out?

That's something I wouldn't know... After all, the raid uses /dev/sdX while
the ide uses /dev/hdX. Only thing I can say is check the Promise BIOS, the
mobo BIOS and the manuals and websites.

1. Trouble installing Redhat 9.0 on Promise FastTrak100 TX2 RAID controller, RAID1 mirrored - solved

I finally managed to get the latest Redhat 9.0 installed on a computer
with mirrored 120 GB IDE drives on a Promise FastTrak100 TX2
RAID controller.  But it wasn't easy.

Frankly, I'm very disappointed with Promise.  If I had it to do over
again, I'd just use Linux's software RAID and the motherboard's IDE
controller.  But now that I've finally got this thing working, I guess I'll
use it.

First of all, despite Promise's claims to the contrary, even in the manual
for the FastTrak100 controllers, they are NOT hardware RAID controllers.
They are simple IDE controllers with BIOS and drivers to do software
RAID.  Their BIOS does a good job of emulating a hardware RAID
controller for those operating systems that access the disk through BIOS --
which basically means MS-DOS.  For everything else, special drivers
are required to emulate a RAID controller in software.

This is what I did.

First, I downloaded the latest version of RH 9.0 from
http://linuxsite.divms.uiowa.edu/redhat/iso/redhat-9.0-en/
and burned it into 6 CDs (of which I've actually used just the first 3).

I installed the Promise TX2 adapter, and a pair of Seagate 120 GB IDE
disk drives.

2. Need Samba AddPrinter help

3. ATA RAID 0/1 support by Promise PDC20265R.

4. 2.2.5 make world dies

5. PCI Controller Raid Promise Fasttrak100-TX2 with Linux

6. p.o.s. program

7. Mirrored RAID array on Promise Fasttrak100 TX2

8. Simple Partition Question (I think)

9. Promise FastTrak100, which distribution supports it?

10. Abit KT7 Raid, Promise FastTrak100 and Suse 7.2

11. FW: Problems with 2.4.19 Kernel and Promise FastTrak100 RAID Controller (2.4.18 works)

12. Red Hat 7.1 and Promise Fasttrak100

13. Promise FastTrak100 TX2