portable usb storage: recommendations? usbflashkey?

portable usb storage: recommendations? usbflashkey?

Post by Robert Nag » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:58:59

Hi, I'm looking into buying one of those usb storage devices which fit
onto a keychain sort of things.

http://www.usbflashkey.com/ sounds good.

Does creating fs and mounting usb storage systems require a lot of
tweaking?

rj
www.idiotprogrammer.com

portable usb storage: recommendations? usbflashkey?

Post by Dances With Crow » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 02:05:31

On 16 Jul 2003 09:58:59 -0700, Robert Nagle staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> Hi, I'm looking into buying one of those usb storage devices which fit
> onto a keychain sort of things.  Does creating fs and mounting usb
> storage systems require a lot of tweaking?

No.  Like most of the messages concerning USB Mass Storage devices have
said over the last 2 years, all you need to do is "modprobe
usb-storage", plug the device in, then "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/somewhere".
If you're using a recent distro, the hotplug daemon will take care of
the modprobe command.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. Portable Ext USB HDD Recommendations ?

I am running RedHat 8.0 and am looking for recommendations of some
sort of external storage device that is portable. Typically, I will be
using it on Win200, WinXP and RedHat Linux 8.0.

I originally started looking at these "keydrives" that plug into the
USB port, however for the same price as a 256Mb flash memory keydrive
I can get a 20Gb external USB HDD.

Anyone have recommendations/experiences.

Thanks
Trevor

2. I NEED HELP!!!

3. Recommendations on USB stcks storage devices

4. NeoMagic chipset

5. usb mass storage on a non-usb sparc system?

6. porting unix/win software to linux

7. usb / hub / usb-storage problem with 2.4.2

8. Linux instalation.

9. USB storage: Datafab KECF-USB, Sagatek DCS-CF

10. FW: [linux-usb-devel] boot from usb storage

11. 2.5.66: BUG at drivers/usb/storage/usb.c:972

12. 2.4.14 usb-storage + Acer 4406EU USB CDRW

13. 7in1 USB cardreader with CM120 chip not recognized by usb-storage