/dev/dsp doesn't work, but everything else seems fine...

/dev/dsp doesn't work, but everything else seems fine...

Post by Mr Flipflop » Sun, 13 May 2001 00:55:37

I have a strange problem with /dev/dsp.  Running SUSE 7.1 with a Videologic
Sonicfury (TurtleBeach Santa Cruz).  Sound apps work, i.e. mp3 players and
such although I'm not sure if the drivers are midi capable as yet.  When I
cat a sample to /dev/dsp it will take the exact amount of time the sample
takes to play, but no sound will be produced.  Quake 3 also uses /dev/dsp by
default, but fails on the sound initialization stage causing white noise to
be produced.  The white noise can be cancelled by starting some other audio
app.
/dev/dsp is linked to dev/dsp0.

I've tried recreating the device with mknod, but it's still the same.  I
have absolutely no idea what to try next, or whether this is a shortcoming
of the current driver set...

Ideas gratefully received!

1. /dev/dsp doesn't work, but everything else seems fine...

I have a strange problem with /dev/dsp.  Running SUSE 7.1 with a Videologic
Sonicfury (TurtleBeach Santa Cruz).  Sound apps work, i.e. mp3 players and
such although I'm not sure if the drivers are midi capable as yet.  When I
cat a sample to /dev/dsp it will take the exact amount of time the sample
takes to play, but no sound will be produced.  Quake 3 also uses /dev/dsp by
default, but fails on the sound initialization stage causing white noise to
be produced.  The white noise can be cancelled by starting some other audio
app.
/dev/dsp is linked to dev/dsp0.

I've tried recreating the device with mknod, but it's still the same.  I
have absolutely no idea what to try next, or whether this is a shortcoming
of the current driver set...

Ideas gratefully received!

2. setuid program has more permissions than it should

3. Future Domain 1610 Doesn't work at 0xc8000, works fine at all other addresses

4. Help! Gnatbox PPP magicnum problem!

5. /dev/dsp doesn't exist with 4.0-RELEASE

6. If Microsoft Had Written Nmap

7. Everything looks fine, it's just not working

8. FOXPRO UNIX under linux

9. sound doesn't release /dev/dsp on logout

10. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

11. sed -e s/\'/\&apos\;/g doesn't seem to work

12. slackware-elf-beta's emacs doesn't seem to be working..

13. Even 'cat file >/dev/lp0' doesn't work