My Red Hat Linux cannot read more than 16Mb memory

My Red Hat Linux cannot read more than 16Mb memory

Post by Jez Pa » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

I recently upgraded my PC and Linux software to a 200mHz K6, TXPro
motherboard (SiS chipset), 32MB of EDO RAM, and Red Hat Linux 5.0
(kernel 2.0.32)

Now my Linux seems unable to recognise anything more than 16Mb of RAM,
so the thing is now incredibly slow. DOS, Windows 95 and OS/2 have no
problems with the new hardware, so why is Linux?

Jez Page

My Red Hat Linux cannot read more than 16Mb memory

Post by mark » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00

It could be a bios thing. in lilo somewhere you need to put "append
"mem=32"" or something like that. Look through the lilo man page and one
of the HOW TOs for kernel options.

> I recently upgraded my PC and Linux software to a 200mHz K6, TXPro
> motherboard (SiS chipset), 32MB of EDO RAM, and Red Hat Linux 5.0
> (kernel 2.0.32)

> Now my Linux seems unable to recognise anything more than 16Mb of RAM,
> so the thing is now incredibly slow. DOS, Windows 95 and OS/2 have no
> problems with the new hardware, so why is Linux?

> Jez Page

My Red Hat Linux cannot read more than 16Mb memory

Post by Jez Pa » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>It could be a bios thing. in lilo somewhere you need to put "append
>"mem=32"" or something like that. Look through the lilo man page and one
>of the HOW TOs for kernel options.

Thanks, I'll check that.

Jez Page

My Red Hat Linux cannot read more than 16Mb memory

Post by joh.. » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem. In the and it was the motherboard which did not
accept more than 16 mb.

Cheers.

John

Post by Blair P. Hought » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

>> >It could be a bios thing. in lilo somewhere you need to put "append
>> >"mem=32"" or something like that. Look through the lilo man page and one
>> >of the HOW TOs for kernel options.

>> Thanks, I'll check that.

>I had the same problem. In the and it was the motherboard which did not
>accept more than 16 mb.

Watch your computer at boot.  If you have the memory test
enabled in BIOS, you can usually see it running through the
RAM, and it tells you how much it sees.

If that says 16 even though you have more, check to see that
the SIMMs/DIMMs/whatever are seated correctly.  16 MB is a
pretty small limit for any motherboard.  Also check for weird
jumpers; you never know what you might find.  If none of that
works, then maybe your new memory's bad.

If it says your memory's all there, then add the line

  append="mem=32M"

(or use whatever number of MB you have instead of 32)

and--and this is what caught me--run the 'lilo' command while
logged in as root.  Drove me nuts seeing four hundred posts
saying "use append..." but nobody saying "run lilo..."

However, it's my understanding that Linux autodetects
any memory up to 64 MB.  So you shouldn't be having
this problem at all...

                                --Blair
                                  "If it wasn't a two-step process,
                                   I wouldn't be in a twelve-step
                                   program now..."

Post by Jez Pa » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

>I had the same problem. In the and it was the motherboard which did not
>accept more than 16 mb.

The problem wasn't with my motherboard, as DOS, Windows and OS/2 have
no trouble recognising the full amount of memory.

The append command in lilo.conf does seem to have done the trick.

Now all I have to do is get everything else sorted. I had things just
about right with my old system, by then I went and upgraded everything
(both hardware and Linux) and I am having to start from scratch.

Jez

My Red Hat Linux cannot read more than 16Mb memory

Post by Clarence Wilkers » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Check your bios for an option to have a memory hole
from 15M to 16M. Even though the bios will count the
memory correctly if this is set, the linux kernel may not.

--
Clarence Wilkerson      \ HomePage:     http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker

Dept. of Mathematics      \ Messages:   (765) 494-1903, FAX 494-0548
Purdue University,         \ Office:    (765) 494-1955 (voice/phonemail)
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1395 \            Rm. 450 Math. Sci. Bldng.

1. Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

After installing Red Hat 7.2 I configured Samba. I can mount and browse
shares on a Win2k Pro system on the network. However, the Win2k system
cannot see the Red Hat system.

I can ping the Red Hat system from the Win2k system both by name and IP
address. However, if I search for the Red Hat system from Windows Explorer,
either by name or IP address, it is not found.

I am a Linux novice and have run out of things to check. Any suggestions?

Bill

2. Unix file system

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. TEAC 16-bit I/F Card sbpcd.h settings?

5. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

6. isdn configuration

7. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

8. Make Money at home off a $5 investment!

9. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

10. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

11. Cannot install Red Hat Linux Library on RH Linux 5.0

12. Red Hat Linux 8.0 - How do I increase memory for Linux?

13. tar, streamer : "Cannot read: Cannot allocate memory"