LS-120 Drive under Linux???

Post by Daz » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have a Compaq deskpro 4000 P133 with a really annoying LS-120MB Floppy
drive. This drive does not seem to be compatible with Linux - I can only
get as far as inserting the root disk during installation before I/O
errors appear and the kernel dies!

Does anyone know of any patches/new kernels to get around this problem?

----o0O-------------------

| U.G. Dept. of Computing |
| Bradford University, UK |
---------------o0O--------

LS-120 Drive under Linux???

Post by Rick Forriste » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I have a Compaq deskpro 4000 P133 with a really annoying LS-120MB Floppy
> drive. This drive does not seem to be compatible with Linux - I can only
> get as far as inserting the root disk during installation before I/O
> errors appear and the kernel dies!

> Does anyone know of any patches/new kernels to get around this problem?

> ----o0O-------------------

> | U.G. Dept. of Computing |
> | Bradford University, UK |
> ---------------o0O--------

I've been trying to get more data about drivers being developed for
the LS-120, as it seems like a nice long term solution to many
problems.  In the short run, though, there's one _BIG_ problem: you
will _NOT_ be able to boot with it from Linux!

Though you can put a 3.5" floppy diskette in it, and boot from it with
Win 95 & NT right now; nothing else will; there are few drivers.  It
is an (E)IDE device; it does _NOT_ go on the standard floppy drive
line.  Thus, it requires two things, as I understand it.

1.  Your BIOS must support booting from an ATAPI device.  Only the
newer BIOS releases have any support for this, may require the intel
TX chipset to boot, also.

2.  Drivers in the OS kernel.  AFAIK, the only drivers, currently, are
for 95/NT.

In short, there's probably nothing wrong with the drive; it's just
very new and has little support.  Probably none of the kernel/device
driver developers has one yet.

For you to install Linux, I suspect you're going to have to locate one
of the distributions which supports a "floppyless install" and boot from
the CDROM.

Best!
                                        --rickf

| Linux:  What do you want tomorrow?                              |

1. : Anyone with LS-120 drive & Linux out there?

I've got an LS-120 drive that I'd like to reference from Linux.  The
installation requires that I update my BIOS (chips ordered) so I have
not installed yet.

Is anyone out there using one of these drives?  I'd like to know what
success/problems/comments you might have.

Thanks-
Rickf

| Linux:  What do you want tomorrow?                              |

2. Compiling hello_world.c

3. LS-120 Drives and Linux

4. linux 2.0.15

5. LS-120 drive and Linux

6. linux doesn't register CPU and RAM correctly

7. Making a boot disk with LS-120 (was Re: LS-120 clicking)

8. truss command | more

9. 120 MB Floppy (LS-120) Linux?

10. ls-120 & sls-120 in Linux

11. Linux support for LS-120 drive

12. Linux with LS-120 floppy drives.

13. Does Linux support the LS-120 floppy drive?