The state of Linux FireWire

Post by Rohan Beckle » Fri, 26 May 2006 08:48:35

Hello --

I recently rebuilt my system (see sig.) and installed Gentoo 2005.1.  I also
upgraded the kernel more recently to 2.6.16.10.  I still have my Maxtor
OneTouch 250GB FireWire external drive, and I can still only get around
15MB/s performance out of it. Bear in mind that this drive (and many other
enclosures) has an Oxford 911 chip.

Under Windows XP, according to both Maxtor and Tom's Hardware, this drive is
capable of pushing 35MB/s. Has anyone out there got a Linux system that can
push those kind of numbers, or are we stuck with crippled FireWire? What
about FireWire 800? How good is the Linux support for that technology?

Thanks for any info. Best,

        Rohan Beckles

--
ASUS PC-DL Deluxe

Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2-PT
Western Digital WD2500SD (dual, RAID1)
eVGA 6800Ultra 256MB

The state of Linux FireWire

Post by Steve Wolf » Sun, 28 May 2006 06:38:45

Quote:> I recently rebuilt my system (see sig.) and installed Gentoo 2005.1.  I
also
> upgraded the kernel more recently to 2.6.16.10.  I still have my Maxtor
> OneTouch 250GB FireWire external drive, and I can still only get around
> 15MB/s performance out of it. Bear in mind that this drive (and many other
> enclosures) has an Oxford 911 chip.

> Under Windows XP, according to both Maxtor and Tom's Hardware, this drive
is
> capable of pushing 35MB/s. Has anyone out there got a Linux system that
can
> push those kind of numbers, or are we stuck with crippled FireWire? What
> about FireWire 800? How good is the Linux support for that technology?

   I recently bought several 500 GB Maxtor "One Touch II" drives, and a few
Firewire 800 cards.  The cards were of different brands, but both used the
TI chipset, and had a 64-bit PCI-X interface.  Doing something simple like
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=1024k", the drives will *write* at just a
hair under 60 MB/sec.  However, copying large tar files to them gives
significantly lower numbers, somewhere in the 25-35 MB/sec range, if I
recall correctly.

steve

The state of Linux FireWire

Post by Rohan Beckle » Mon, 29 May 2006 20:28:30

Hi Steve --

Thanks for the info. Do you have any performance numbers for FireWire 400
under Linux. Also, what kind of read speeds do you get (400 & 800)?

Thanks for your help.

Rohan

--
ASUS PC-DL Deluxe

Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2-PT
Western Digital WD2500SD (dual, RAID1)
eVGA 6800Ultra 256MB

The state of Linux FireWire

Post by Steve Wolf » Thu, 01 Jun 2006 06:20:32

Quote:> Thanks for the info. Do you have any performance numbers for FireWire 400
> under Linux. Also, what kind of read speeds do you get (400 & 800)?

  I have not used any firewire 400 drives.  I just mounted one of the drives
and did "cat home.tgz > /dev/null", and vmstat started off around 75 MB/sec,
and slowed down to between 53-59 MB/sec.

steve