Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out, and faster than Pentium 200

Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out, and faster than Pentium 200

Post by Carl Rohm » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

The new Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out and faster than the Intel Pentium 200.  The
P200+ runs on a new motherboard with a main memory speed of 75 MHz, and in
recent tests the top Cyrix system scored over 100 on the WINSTONE 96 test,
the first system ever to do so.  The Pentium 200 scored 89 on the WINSTONE
96 test.  For more information, go to www.cyrix.com.

Carl

Post by D. Brow » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> The new Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out and faster than the Intel Pentium 200.  The
> P200+ runs on a new motherboard with a main memory speed of 75 MHz, and in
> recent tests the top Cyrix system scored over 100 on the WINSTONE 96 test,
> the first system ever to do so.  The Pentium 200 scored 89 on the WINSTONE
> 96 test.  For more information, go to www.cyrix.com.

> Carl

Benchmarks are all well and good, but how does the chip run Netware, NT,
OS/2, or Win95?  If I write some assembly language programs on a system
with it, is it gonna be totally compatible?  Lets talk real world eh?

                        db

Post by Erik Pennebak » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> The new Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out and faster than the Intel Pentium 200.  The
>> P200+ runs on a new motherboard with a main memory speed of 75 MHz, and in
>> recent tests the top Cyrix system scored over 100 on the WINSTONE 96 test,
>> the first system ever to do so.  The Pentium 200 scored 89 on the WINSTONE
>> 96 test.  For more information, go to www.cyrix.com.

>> Carl
>Benchmarks are all well and good, but how does the chip run Netware, NT,
>OS/2, or Win95?  If I write some assembly language programs on a system
>with it, is it gonna be totally compatible?  Lets talk real world eh?

Actually, this chip is specifically for Linux.  Cyrix felt that the demand
was great enough, and that enough people would want a machine that won't run
your assembly code.

-Erik

--

   Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a bannana. -Jay from a.b.s.f.g
      These are not the opinions of CCSO.  I am the mouthpiece of Satan.

Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out, and faster than Pentium 200

Post by tiel.. » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Well i am running on a Cyrix P150+ and i can tell you it is really compatible
with everything, i have been testing it on all kinds of programs including a
sql server under windows nt server. It runs very smooth and it is nearly as
fast as a real Intel Pentium 166Mhz. However because i live in The Netherlands
i am not yet able to get a hold of the latest Cyrix chips (P150+ is the latest
model here). Can anyone help on getting more directly than an import compagny
in The Netherlands. By the way i have a compagny in selling computers and this
chip is getting number one choise over an Intel chip! (I do hate intel for
being so expensive)

greatings from M.L. Tieland (Salesmanager with X-COM Computers in Holland,
Europe)

Post by Walter Rot » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>The new Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out and faster than the Intel Pentium 200.  The
>P200+ runs on a new motherboard with a main memory speed of 75 MHz, and in
>recent tests the top Cyrix system scored over 100 on the WINSTONE 96 test,
>the first system ever to do so.  The Pentium 200 scored 89 on the WINSTONE
>96 test.  For more information, go to www.cyrix.com.

>Carl

From scanning the other hardware groups it seems the Cyrix parts are
designed for 16 bit software and don't show quite as good with the
latest 32 bit code. They are also supposed to be slower on floating
point stuff.

Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out, and faster than Pentium 200

Post by Gary A. Cerk » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

been posted:

>>The new Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out and faster than the Intel Pentium 200.  The
>>P200+ runs on a new motherboard with a main memory speed of 75 MHz, and in
>>recent tests the top Cyrix system scored over 100 on the WINSTONE 96 test,
>>the first system ever to do so.  The Pentium 200 scored 89 on the WINSTONE
>>96 test.  For more information, go to www.cyrix.com.

>>Carl

>From scanning the other hardware groups it seems the Cyrix parts are
>designed for 16 bit software and don't show quite as good with the
>latest 32 bit code. They are also supposed to be slower on floating
>point stuff.

Not only that, but next week it will probably be something else.  It
seems that every week something else is faster.

site:   http://www.indirect.com/www/ceridgac/index.html
NTSite: http://www.indirect.com/www/ceridgac/ntsite.html

Post by Ed Scherna » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> been posted:

> >>The new Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out and faster than the Intel Pentium 200.  The
> >>P200+ runs on a new motherboard with a main memory speed of 75 MHz, and in
> >>recent tests the top Cyrix system scored over 100 on the WINSTONE 96 test,
> >>the first system ever to do so.  The Pentium 200 scored 89 on the WINSTONE
> >>96 test.  For more information, go to www.cyrix.com.

> >>Carl

> >From scanning the other hardware groups it seems the Cyrix parts are
> >designed for 16 bit software and don't show quite as good with the
> >latest 32 bit code. They are also supposed to be slower on floating
> >point stuff.

> Not only that, but next week it will probably be something else.  It
> seems that every week something else is faster.

> site:   http://www.indirect.com/www/ceridgac/index.html
> NTSite: http://www.indirect.com/www/ceridgac/ntsite.html

Although to Cyrix's credit, the thing is REALLY fast, cheap,
Pentium-pin compatible, and how much heavy floating point work
do people do?

Ed
--
Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun
to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten,

Post by Mike Shove » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> > >From scanning the other hardware groups it seems the Cyrix parts are
> > >designed for 16 bit software and don't show quite as good with the
> > >latest 32 bit code. They are also supposed to be slower on floating
> > >point stuff.

> > Not only that, but next week it will probably be something else.  It
> > seems that every week something else is faster.

> Although to Cyrix's credit, the thing is REALLY fast, cheap,
> Pentium-pin compatible, and how much heavy floating point work
> do people do?

> Ed
> --

It depends on what you're doing.  I do quite a bit of electrical
engineering circuit simulations, and the FPU speed is critical.

Michael Shover

Post by Belle » Mon, 17 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Although to Cyrix's credit, the thing is REALLY fast, cheap,
>Pentium-pin compatible, and how much heavy floating point work
>do people do?

I agree completely.  I've been recommending the Cyrix to my customers
that want a Pentium Pro for non-server applications.  It's true that
it's made for 16-bit apps, which is good, because everybody wants
flashy multimedia, which isnt there for NT yet.
                        |                     |

  Chris Bellers         | around nice guy.    |
________________________|_____________________|

Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out, and faster than Pentium 200

Post by Jared Broka » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I can't say a whole lot about the Cyrix P200+, but I know the P150+ is crap.  I put it in the system I
was building and after about 15 errors and system crashes just from fdisking my drive and trying to install
win95 I took it back, lost about $100 (thats how much its value decreased in 3 days), and bought myself an
Intel 133 which just blew the Cyrix away in general noticable raw speed.  I also quit getting all the errors
and crashes I was getting like the first few times I tried to set my system up with the Cyrix.  Basically to
make a long story short, it was *and It'll take quite alot of convincing to ever get me to try any of
their stuff again.
                                                                Jared Brokaw

Post by Vi Chi Ch » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I can't say a whole lot about the Cyrix P200+, but I know the P150+ is crap.  I put it in the system I
>was building and after about 15 errors and system crashes just from fdisking my drive and trying to install
>win95 I took it back, lost about $100 (thats how much its value decreased in 3 days), and bought myself an
>Intel 133 which just blew the Cyrix away in general noticable raw speed.  I also quit getting all the errors
>and crashes I was getting like the first few times I tried to set my system up with the Cyrix.  Basically to
>make a long story short, it was *and It'll take quite alot of convincing to ever get me to try any of
>their stuff again.
>                                                            Jared Brokaw

I am not defending Cyrix, but from what I saw in various groups, no one
complaints such serious problems with Cyrix...
one thing I do know is that you need to upgrade your BIOS to get better
support for the Cyrix, and also your motherboard will need larger current
capacity (since Cyrix draws more current), and the Cyrix clock speed is
more tricky.. maybe those are the reasons for your system crashes??
I do think architecturally, Cyrix is more advance than Pentinum, so I
hate to see them fail so miserably like you suggested.

just my .02.

billy chan

Post by William Burr » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: >I can't say a whole lot about the Cyrix P200+, but I know the P150+ is crap.  I put it in the system I

: I am not defending Cyrix, but from what I saw in various groups, no one
: complaints such serious problems with Cyrix...
: one thing I do know is that you need to upgrade your BIOS to get better
: support for the Cyrix, and also your motherboard will need larger current
: capacity (since Cyrix draws more current), and the Cyrix clock speed is
: more tricky.. maybe those are the reasons for your system crashes??
: I do think architecturally, Cyrix is more advance than Pentinum, so I
: hate to see them fail so miserably like you suggested.

I can't see how anyone can base an analysis of a CPU on the basis of the
piece of junk motherboard that the chip is sitting on.  I've had my share
of junk motherboards with Intel chips on them that were just so flaky it
was unbelievable.  I finally got a board that was designed right and flew
like the wind with an AMD chip on it.

I'd say that the first poster probably got a bargain bin board with a
Cyrix chip on it that would have been just as flaky with an Intel chip on
it.

William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network

Post by Masked Bandi » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I can't say a whole lot about the Cyrix P200+, but I know the P150+ is crap.  I put it in the system I
>was building and after about 15 errors and system crashes just from fdisking my drive...

Just out of curiosity, is the above mentioned the first system you
have ever "built?"

Quote:>I took it back, lost about $100 (thats how much its value decreased in 3 days),...

Gee... I don't know where you are from (UT?) but normally I think if
you purchase a product and are not satisfied ina few days, you recieve
a FULL refund, personally I would not accept any less.

dude -- you don't sound too bright!

Post by Ed Scherna » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >I can't say a whole lot about the Cyrix P200+, but I know the P150+ is crap.  I put it in the system I
> >was building and after about 15 errors and system crashes just from fdisking my drive...

> Just out of curiosity, is the above mentioned the first system you
> have ever "built?"

> >I took it back, lost about $100 (thats how much its value decreased in 3 days),...

> Gee... I don't know where you are from (UT?) but normally I think if
> you purchase a product and are not satisfied ina few days, you recieve
> a FULL refund, personally I would not accept any less.

> dude -- you don't sound too bright!

*snicker*

--
Sex is like air; you take for granted until you're not getting any.

Post by Mike Lefeve » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >I can't say a whole lot about the Cyrix P200+, but I know the P150+ is crap.  I put it in the system I
> >was building and after about 15 errors and system crashes just from fdisking my drive...

> Just out of curiosity, is the above mentioned the first system you
> have ever "built?"

> >I took it back, lost about $100 (thats how much its value decreased in 3 days),...

> Gee... I don't know where you are from (UT?) but normally I think if
> you purchase a product and are not satisfied ina few days, you recieve
> a FULL refund, personally I would not accept any less.

> dude -- you don't sound too bright!

I have been running a IBM 6x86 120+ overclocked to a 150+ now for about
3 weeks. The motherboard I am using is based on the Triton II chipset.
These chips draw a lot of JUICE!! Make sure your board can put out the
necessary power for these boards and that you are using a good ball
bearing fan. I have heard of these chips just shutting down and
rebooting from overheating or from boards that cannot pump out the
wattage. With this board CPU setup I have had no problemes.
The performance to money ratio is just uncomparable to what intel is
offering. This CPU up here in Canada cost me about the same as a P75 yet
I am getting P 150 performance out of it.

I have used the following operating systems with NO DIFFICULTIES
-Win NT Workstation 3.51
-Linux 1.2.13
-Windoze 95
-Unixware 2.01