Linux:Won't recognize CDROM after installation

Linux:Won't recognize CDROM after installation

Post by Sylvia Jadcza » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I installed linux (Slackware v3.0.0) w/out too many problems, just alot
of questions.  I can't (or just don't know how to) access my ATAPI
compatable Sony 311 ide CDROM drive.  I thought after installation it
would be mounted in the /CDROM directory.  It isn't.  Please offer any

Thanx
MIKE

Post by Richard E Mile » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I installed linux (Slackware v3.0.0) w/out too many problems, just alot
> of questions.  I can't (or just don't know how to) access my ATAPI
> compatable Sony 311 ide CDROM drive.  I thought after installation it
> would be mounted in the /CDROM directory.  It isn't.  Please offer any

> Thanx
> MIKE

Linux does not automatically mount cdrom's. You can do a mount
mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /cdrom.
Make sure you have a mount point called /cdrom or substitute a different
mount point. If you wish Linux to automatically mount the cdrom
modify the /etc/fstab:
/dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 default 1 1

1. 'Toolkit for Linux' won't recognize CDROM

Hi, I'm new to Linux and trying to install it on my computer.  I bought
the 'Toolkit for Linux' from Walnut Creek.  When I used the scsi boot
disk and color144 root disk, it would recognize my SCSI controller (Pro
Audio Spectrum 16) but not the SCSI CDROM attached to it.  Finally, I
copied the A disks onto floppies and installed with those.  I thought
then I might be able to mount it.  As instructed in the CDROM-HOWTO, I ran:

mknod /dev/sr0 b 11 0
and
mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom

but it said that /dev/sr0 was not a valid block device.  Doesn't the 'b'
in the mknod command create it as a block device?
Also, I read in another post to
cat /proc/devices
and
cat /proc/filesystems

to find out about my active devices, but I have neither of those files.
Any ideas?  I don't want to install ALL of the Linux stuff by disk!
                                Thanks.
                                        Emil Aalto

2. AIX license purchasing

3. Linux won't recognize CDROM

4. Samba/mgetty/printfax problem

5. linux won't recognise cdrom - help please

6. Help: Ne2100/Lance clone and RedHat 5.1

7. Linux won't recognize SB / CDROM

8. uucp on ibm rt/pc running aix 2.2

9. LINUX won't recognize my CDROM

10. CDROM: Linux won't recognize it- Please help

11. Redhat Linux won't recognize my Pioneer CDROM

12. Changed cdrom setting now linux won't recognize it

13. Help: Linux installation boot disk won't recognize my scsi card