SuperMicro 750-S a disappointment compared to 750-A

SuperMicro 750-S a disappointment compared to 750-A

Post by Dan Co » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

After receiving a SuperMicro 750-A case I thought, "wow, now this is
a case!"  Thinking the 750-S would be just as good, I ordered one to
replace an older case.  Alas, the 750-S is quite a disappointment
compared to the 750-A.  It's like a cheap half-hearted immitation of
the 750-A.

1.  Where the 750-A has three rows of air inlet slots on each side
    of the case adjacent to the drive bays, the 750-S has only one
    row.

2.  The drive rails block what little air might be pulled in or
    pushed out through those slots.

3.  The rear exhaust fan in the 750-A is a 4-inch (120mm) fan.  It's
    a 3-inch (80mm) fan in the 750-S.

4.  In the 750-A both the auxilliary fan and an internal 3-1/2" drive
    cage can be mounted at just about any position on two separate
    sets of slide rails.  The 750-S has just two fixed positions.
    You can swap 'em or remove 'em, but that's it.

5.  I seem to have been shorted on plastic snap-on fan mounting
    enclosures.  My 750-A came with seven (7) of them.  The 750-S
    came with only four (4).

6.  The motherboard mounting plate is removable, but only by removing
    a zillion screws.  With that in mind, it doesn't appear to have
    been designed to be removed.  Of course, it's not removable at all
    under any circunstances in the 750-A, so although this is an
    additional disappointment, it's not any worse than the 750-A.

Mind you, compared to my old case, the 750-S is still much better.
Even with its shortcommings, the 750-S makes much better use of
the available space.  It's also light years ahead in the airflow
department.  It was also less expensive than my old case (purchased
four years ago at that).

- Dan

SuperMicro 750-S a disappointment compared to 750-A

Post by David E. Lavell » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> 1.  Where the 750-A has three rows of air inlet slots on each side
>     of the case adjacent to the drive bays, the 750-S has only one
>     row.

My new 750-A only has one row on either side.

Quote:> 2.  The drive rails block what little air might be pulled in or
>     pushed out through those slots.

Not a problem here.

Quote:> 3.  The rear exhaust fan in the 750-A is a 4-inch (120mm) fan.  It's
>     a 3-inch (80mm) fan in the 750-S.

It's a three inch in my 750-A.

Quote:> 5.  I seem to have been shorted on plastic snap-on fan mounting
>     enclosures.  My 750-A came with seven (7) of them.  The 750-S
>     came with only four (4).

Mine came with three front cages, two drive bay cages and one cage for
the fan above the power supply.

Quote:> 6.  The motherboard mounting plate is removable, but only by removing
>     a zillion screws.  With that in mind, it doesn't appear to have
>     been designed to be removed.  Of course, it's not removable at all
>     under any circunstances in the 750-A, so although this is an
>     additional disappointment, it's not any worse than the 750-A.

The MB plate is removable in my 750-A. You do have to remove too many
screws though. How old is the 750-A that you have?

--
David E. Lavelle

SuperMicro 750-S a disappointment compared to 750-A

Post by Dan Co » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

On Sat, 01 Aug 1998 07:19:36 -0400, David E. Lavelle

> How old is the 750-A that you have?

I don't see any dates marked on either the boxes or the cases.  I purchased
both cases (750-A and 750-S) just last week from CMPexpress.  The box that
the 750-A came in says "Made in China".  The 750-S box says "Made in Taiwan
ROC."  Geez, I had no idea there could be so much variation.

- Dan

SuperMicro 750-S a disappointment compared to 750-A

Post by David E. Lavell » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Geez, I had no idea there could be so much variation.

It doesn't take much time! I bought a couple of 701-A cases from
Neutron. In a two week period they had changed the power supply from the
"suck-in" (2.0, I believe) to the exaust-out (2.01 ?). In your situation
there are quite a few differences
--
David E. Lavelle

Post by Mike Ducke » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>After receiving a SuperMicro 750-A case I thought, "wow, now this is
>a case!"  Thinking the 750-S would be just as good, I ordered one to
>replace an older case.  Alas, the 750-S is quite a disappointment
>compared to the 750-A.  It's like a cheap half-hearted immitation of
>the 750-A.

Is it possible to purchase separately the AT => ATX backplane for this
series of cases?  The power suppply is easy to swap out, it is the
backplane that causes the most trouble.

I will admit the 750-S is the best case I have ever worked with.

Thanks,
Mike

SuperMicro 750-S a disappointment compared to 750-A

Post by Alan Kamrowski I » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Mike,

I had a Supermicro SC-701T (was supposed to be ATX, but the vendor sent me a
"T") case that I absolutely loved, soft curled metal edges, very thick
metal, it was the best case I had ever seen.  But when I wanted to upgrade
to a SC-750 (for the extra bays), I noticed that the 750 wasn't the same on
the outside or on the inside.  I actually haven't seen a 750, because I
ordered an Antec KS180+PP303X which is *exactly* like my SC-701T was in
terms of the inside/outside but with 6 5.25 bays and a 300watt power supply.
I love the Antec case and would get no other at this point.  I got mine
through techstore for $120 shipping included.

Take care,

Alan

1. Linux on Motorola MPC 750

Hi,

I am trying to cross compile ppc load on i386.

I was using gcc 2.9.5.

I have kernel 2.4.10.

But when I try to do even make menuconfig
it fails becasue in Makefile for kernel I put a full path
to power-pc gcc (usr/local/powerpc-linux/bin).
When I use host gcc it works fine.

I followed www.penguinppc.com instructions.

Does anybody know a stable version of gcc (powerpcc gcc) and kernel
that works.

Does anybody knows wher can I get a load for MPC 750 on the web (not
commercial please)

Thank you

2. Linux Crash & Partition Problem: Help Appreciated

3. Linux on ThinkPad 750, pleaes help.

4. Wine-990426 doesn't compile

5. HP PSC 750: Does it work with linux?

6. memory cards

7. 750 Mhz processors for Sunblade 1000 and E280R

8. List Prices Needed

9. IBM 750/P90

10. 4.3stable installation freeze with overclocked duron 750...

11. HP Apollo 750

12. Epson Stylus 750

13. PLIP on IBM thiunkPad 750 CS, any Luck?