troubles with IBM 4029 printer

troubles with IBM 4029 printer

Post by Pierre Héber » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Hello
I have got an IBM 4029 printer. It is a postscript printer so it should
work fine with my loved Linux box.
I installed it on a EPP parallel port. I used RedHat 6.1 printtool to
configure it as a local printer, etc. Nothing hard to do.
But in fact it ALMOST work fine... Some documents are printed, others
aren't !
For example xfig works perfectly : what i get is exactly what i want, it's
fabulous.
Now let's print a StarOffice document (5.1 or 5.2, that's equal). Argh ! It
doesn't work ! Here is what i did and what's happened :
- the printer began to receive the document and logicaly displays on its
LCD : "occupied". Everything seem to work well.
- but suddenly the printer displays "removing" ! Why does it remove the job
from itself ??? Does it fail to understand the postscript data send by my
computer ?

I tried to print to file my StarOffice document and to view it with
ghostview : it's perfect ! However i still can't print... snif... :-((

This problem appears also with some others software, like Konqueror when i
want to print a html page.

Do you think it could be a problem of postscript version ? Perhaps my
printer understand postscript version x.y and my computer sends postscript
version > x.y ?

As a solution I tried to convert my postscript document to pdf and ps back
with "ps2pdf" and "pdf2ps", with and without option -dPSLevel1 (?) but
nothing help...

Have anybody an idea ?
i hope !

Pierrot.

 
 
 

troubles with IBM 4029 printer

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 09:12:21



> Hello
> I have got an IBM 4029 printer. It is a postscript printer so it should
> work fine with my loved Linux box.
> I installed it on a EPP parallel port. I used RedHat 6.1 printtool to
> configure it as a local printer, etc. Nothing hard to do.
> But in fact it ALMOST work fine... Some documents are printed, others
> aren't !
> For example xfig works perfectly : what i get is exactly what i want, it's
> fabulous.
> Now let's print a StarOffice document (5.1 or 5.2, that's equal). Argh ! It
> doesn't work ! Here is what i did and what's happened :
> - the printer began to receive the document and logicaly displays on its
> LCD : "occupied". Everything seem to work well.
> - but suddenly the printer displays "removing" ! Why does it remove the job
> from itself ??? Does it fail to understand the postscript data send by my
> computer ?

> I tried to print to file my StarOffice document and to view it with
> ghostview : it's perfect ! However i still can't print... snif... :-((

Did you try to print if from GhostView?

If this works, your problem should be with the print set up in StarOffice.
How do you have StarOffice set up?

If you can't print the PostScript file which GhostView is capable of
displaying ... Augh!.  I don't know.  It has happened to me, but I was using
GhostScript to print (and you aren't).

Quote:

> This problem appears also with some others software, like Konqueror when i
> want to print a html page.

> Do you think it could be a problem of postscript version ? Perhaps my
> printer understand postscript version x.y and my computer sends postscript
> version > x.y ?

This is logical, but unlikely.  Does your printer support PostScript level 2?
If so, it should be OK.

Quote:

> As a solution I tried to convert my postscript document to pdf and ps back
> with "ps2pdf" and "pdf2ps", with and without option -dPSLevel1 (?) but
> nothing help...

> Have anybody an idea ?
> i hope !

> Pierrot.

JRT

 
 
 

troubles with IBM 4029 printer

Post by Pierre Héber » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00




> > Hello
> > I have got an IBM 4029 printer. It is a postscript printer so it should
> > work fine with my loved Linux box.
> > I installed it on a EPP parallel port. I used RedHat 6.1 printtool to
> > configure it as a local printer, etc. Nothing hard to do.
> > But in fact it ALMOST work fine... Some documents are printed, others
> > aren't !
> > For example xfig works perfectly : what i get is exactly what i want,
> > it's fabulous.
> > Now let's print a StarOffice document (5.1 or 5.2, that's equal). Argh !
> > It doesn't work ! Here is what i did and what's happened :
> > - the printer began to receive the document and logicaly displays on its
> > LCD : "occupied". Everything seem to work well.
> > - but suddenly the printer displays "removing" ! Why does it remove the
> > job from itself ??? Does it fail to understand the postscript data send
> > by my computer ?

> > I tried to print to file my StarOffice document and to view it with
> > ghostview : it's perfect ! However i still can't print... snif... :-((

> Did you try to print if from GhostView?

> If this works, your problem should be with the print set up in StarOffice.
> How do you have StarOffice set up?

> If you can't print the PostScript file which GhostView is capable of
> displaying ... Augh!.  I don't know.  It has happened to me, but I was
> using GhostScript to print (and you aren't).

yes i tried to print from GhostView... and it doesn't work... that's all
the matter...

Quote:

> > This problem appears also with some others software, like Konqueror when
> > i want to print a html page.

> > Do you think it could be a problem of postscript version ? Perhaps my
> > printer understand postscript version x.y and my computer sends
> > postscript version > x.y ?

> This is logical, but unlikely.  Does your printer support PostScript level
> 2? If so, it should be OK.

i don't know what PostScript level my printer is... i actually didn't
manage to find technical data on the net for this printer.

Quote:

> > As a solution I tried to convert my postscript document to pdf and ps
> > back with "ps2pdf" and "pdf2ps", with and without option -dPSLevel1 (?)
> > but nothing help...

> > Have anybody an idea ?
> > i hope !

> > Pierrot.

> JRT

since i posted this message i tried some other things to fix the problem
i'm perhaps on the way of an explanation : it seems that the documents that
aren't printed are above the merges of the printer. it is perhaps the only
reason why the printer stops ?
perhaps should i try to correct the document with ghostscript ?
i never learned to use gs, but now i think it's time !

however i sincerely thank you for having take time to help me.
tchao,

Pierrot.

 
 
 

1. IBM 4029 printer on RS/6000

Has anyone successfully added an IBM 4029 printer to their RS/6000?
I copied the 4029 files off the Supplemental Utilities diskette that came
with the 4029 into /usr/lpd/pio/predef and chmod'd the files as instructed.

Then, I got the printer device configured as opp (other parallel printer).
When I go to make a virtual printer though, I can select the
IBM 4029 LaserPrinter from the menu, get the question on Header
pages wanted (n), and Trailer pages (n).  Then I get the following:

NOTE:   The 4029 printer supports multiple print data streams.
        Each of the data streams will now be configured individually.
0782-302 Cannot open file for customized attributes.
           The file name is
           The errno (error number) from the open system call is 0
         Check the error number.

Anyone have an idea of what's wrong?  

Thanks

James Nau


College of Engineering
University of Nebraska--Lincoln
W181 Nebraska Hall
Lincoln, NE  68588-0501

2. papd prints to local printer but with 8 minute delay

3. IBM 4029 Laser Printer

4. A SED question

5. IBM 4029 Laser printer & TeX

6. eth0 error problem

7. IBM/Lexmark 4029-020 Printer

8. Nvidia 1.0-2313 drivers and KDE2.2

9. IBM 4029 printer and AIX 4.x

10. IBM 4029 Laser printer

11. IBM 4029 and TeX

12. 4029, ISDN, IBM IN.

13. Printing: IBM 4029