1. Sony SDT-7000- sees DDS2 tapes as DDS
Hello. I am investigating a problem that I have seen on this newsgroup
before, but have never seen resolved. Whenever I insert DDS-2 tapes
(manufactured by Sony) into my Sony SDT-7000/BM drive, the driver reports
them as DDS:
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
Here is everything relevant to this problem:
* writing < 4 gig generally works (2 gig DDS capacity roughly doubled by
* if I try to write more than 4 gig, I get errors like:
foo kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current error st09:00: sense key
foo kernel: Additional sense indicates Positioning error detected by
read of medium
and when the backup software attempts to verify the backup it gets read
errors. presumably this is because at a certain point, the driver thinks
that it should be at the end of a DDS tape even though there is tape left
because it is a DDS-2 tape (120M rather than a 90M DDS tape).
Micron Vetix Lxi
Linux foo.bar.com 2.0.30 #1 Tue Apr 22 10:49:45 EDT 1997 i686 unknown
AIC-7880 (integrated into the motherboard)
Tape drive notes--
The DC DISABLE jumper is OFF (i.e. hardware compression is enabled).
Here is what the SCSI driver reports about the drive:
scsi0: Target 5, channel A, now synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset 15.
Vendor: SONY Model: SDT-7000 Rev: 0195
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Here is what st.o reports:
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
I called Sony and the tech support said that "the drive
needed servicing," and they sent me a new drive which still has the same
problem. If there are more people out there for whom this is a problem,
please let me know and I will tell Sony. They claimed that they had never
heard of this problem.
2. Well Problems with BIOS drive Acces (0x82)
3. Sony SDT-5000/SDT-7000 DATs
4. Remote printing 1MB size limit? (lp: stdin: copy file is too large)
5. Solaris 2.6 + SONY SDT-7000 tape (problem)
6. Java, ODBC & PostgreSQL
7. Problem with Sony SDT-7000/BM tape drive
8. Where is the page cache ?
9. SONY SDT-7000 SCSI Tape problems
10. Sony SDT-7000 SCSI DAT Drive - anyone using one of these?
11. SONY SDT-7000/BM DDS-2 tape drives
12. Tape drives HP C1553A and SONY SDT-7000
13. Looking at Seagate TR-4 or Sony SDT-7000 DDS-2