Query good/bad experiences with CD-RW/DVD Combo Internal IDE drives

Query good/bad experiences with CD-RW/DVD Combo Internal IDE drives

Post by nsb » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 04:52:04

Hello,

Does anybody have any very good or very bad experiences using CD-RW/DVD
Combo Internal IDE drives on Linux?  (E.g. hardware compatibility /
drivers / support ... etc)

Particular models of interest to me are:
Samsung SM-352B
Sony CRX-300A

TIA,
nsb.

Query good/bad experiences with CD-RW/DVD Combo Internal IDE drives

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:25:20

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:52:04 +0200, nsb staggered into the Black Sun and
said:

Quote:> Does anybody have any very good or very bad experiences using CD-RW/DVD
> Combo Internal IDE drives on Linux?  (E.g. hardware compatibility /
> drivers / support ... etc)

Since the CD-RW/DVD manufacturers started following the MMC-3 specs
around 1998 or 1999, every IDE CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD-R, or
combination of the above has worked fine in Linux AFAIK.

Quote:> Samsung SM-352B Sony CRX-300A

Don't see why they wouldn't work.  A recent distro should set things up
automagically, or you can follow the CD-Writing-HOWTO available from
http://tldp.org/ .  Remember, DVD-R writing requires dvdrecord or
cdrecord-dvdhack ; DVD+R writing requires growisofs.  Frontends for
CD-writing are a mixed bag... XCDRoast is shite, avoid it--I like
cdbakeoven when I bother to use a frontend at all, others like k3b.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /