where to find a multiprocessor 486 motherboard???

where to find a multiprocessor 486 motherboard???

Post by g.. » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

i've decided that i want to build a SMP linux box. i have about 10 old
486 chips lying around with some other parts and pieces. my problem is
i cant find anywhere to get a multiprocessor motherboard. can anyone
help??? i'd appreciate it. feel free to email me or post back here.

gary

please remove "**REMOVE** to mail me.

where to find a multiprocessor 486 motherboard???

Post by David A. Frant » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

If you want to do solid Multiprocessor machines in the Intel world you will
have to look at either a pentium-pro or a pentium 2.    You may be able to
get something to function around the pentium chipset but why bother.    I
don't ever recall of a 486 SMP board.

Now you may be able to build a cluster of 486 machines that would be
interesting to say the very least.    But agian today you can buy (cheap) a
P2 motherboard with all of the requirements built in.    So unless thoose
parts and pieces add up to a couple of whole machines you would be father
ahead buying new P2 motherboards.

dave

Post by Gary Fenstermache » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>i've decided that i want to build a SMP linux box. i have about 10 old
>486 chips lying around with some other parts and pieces. my problem is
>i cant find anywhere to get a multiprocessor motherboard. can anyone
>help??? i'd appreciate it. feel free to email me or post back here.

SMP 486 boards are few and far between. Good luck finding one, and when you
find it, better luck getting it to work with anything that's not proprietary
to it. And finally, its next to impossible to match the CPUs, and in order
to work in an SMP config, the CPUs must be the same revision level.

The pentium SMP boards are somewhat more common, but you again run into the
above problem of finding CPUs of the same revision. Also, Pentium CPUs were
not made to work in duals as well as ppros. IN order for optimum performance
you not only need matched steppings, but also a set that are optimized for
SMP.

The Pentium Pro was built for SMP configs, so you won't have that problem,
but you'll still have the problems with steppings.

--
http://www.infotainment.org
Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate.

Post by kyhm » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> i've decided that i want to build a SMP linux box. i have about > 10 old
> 486 chips lying around with some other parts and pieces. my
> problem is
> i cant find anywhere to get a multiprocessor motherboard. can
> anyone
> help??? i'd appreciate it. feel free to email me or post back
> here.

  I seem to recall that Everex made a 6-processor 486 machine, yonks
ago, maybe 92...  But since Linux supports the Intel MP spec, which was
written for Pentiums (correct?  anybody know?) it probably won't work
with 486s.

  David's idea of a cluster sounds good, though, especially with a real
distributed OS like ameoba (spelling)...

--
   Morgan Hughes
   C programmer and highly caffeinated mammal.

where to find a multiprocessor 486 motherboard???

Post by Rob Farrel » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

just troll around on E-bay.... one is BOUND to show up sooner or later!

I was just outbid on a Tyan Tomcat III (dual socket 7) last week... the
guy who outbid me (by $5) did it within the last 10 minutes of the
auction.

Good luck!
---> Rob

---
             __   _
             / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
            / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  (2.2.1)
           /____/_/_//_/\_ _/ /_/\_\
           The choice of the GNU generation!

> i've decided that i want to build a SMP linux box. i have about 10 old
> 486 chips lying around with some other parts and pieces. my problem is
> i cant find anywhere to get a multiprocessor motherboard. can anyone
> help??? i'd appreciate it. feel free to email me or post back here.

> gary

> please remove "**REMOVE** to mail me.

--

   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  (2.2.1)
 /____/_/_//_/\_ _/ /_/\_\
 The choice of the GNU generation!

  oOOo GBH Network Operations oOOo

Post by Bob Dee » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> i've decided that i want to build a SMP linux box. i have about 10 old
> 486 chips lying around with some other parts and pieces. my problem is
> i cant find anywhere to get a multiprocessor motherboard. can anyone
> help??? i'd appreciate it. feel free to email me or post back here.

I'd try to find a used dual pentium board my self... I got one used for
$60 from someone who was upgrading.  You can buy cheep Pentium Pros or
soon PII's will have their prices drop with the new PIII's almost out...

Dual 486?  Technicaly possible, but really old...

-= bob =-

where to find a multiprocessor 486 motherboard???

Post by Mirce » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

What a pity AMD gave up the SMP long ago - a dual K6-2(3) would really
have kicked some ass...

MST

> i've decided that i want to build a SMP linux box. (...)

where to find a multiprocessor 486 motherboard???

Post by ajoosu » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

as far as places to get the dual Mb's the online auctions seem to have
some good prices.
I got a NIC for just a few bucks at pcauctioneer, their closed for now
though.

1. Multiprocessor 486 motherboards?

| Does anybody know where I can buy a multiprocessor motherboard for 486
| CPUS, preferably dx4-120's, but anything will help.

[ posted and mailed ]

The problem is that most 486 SMP boards predate the Intel MPS spec,
and therefore would take a good bit of hacking to get working with
Linux. And then you would have an old, slow, and not very
interesting board to run.

There's a company, DFI from memory, that makes a 2xP5 board for a
low price. I priced on at $480 with dual P5-100, and that was at
least two months ago, so the prices are probably down. These are
reported to work.
--

  What do you mean I shouldn't do thing like that at my age?
  At my age if you don't do things like that you might die of natural causes!

2. 'mapping' problem - is this common?

3. Determining proper voltage for a 486 motherboard cmos battery backup

4. Q: ProSonic 16 sound driver for Linux?

5. IBM 486 75Mhz motherboard with Linux?

6. Write to NTFS partition

7. Looking for 486 EISA motherboard and EISA Config Archive

8. ppp conection works but cant launch any programs

9. 486 Motherboard problem?

10. Need 486 Motherboard suggestion

11. NCR53c810 SCSI on-board a PSD-486 motherboard (saturn chipset) -> crash... ?

12. Hardware info on 486 motherboard

13. 486 motherboards for ~$200?