compatibility searches

compatibility searches

Post by Rich » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:24:28



Hi all
 I have done searches for linux compatibility for my mobo, without any luck.
I am very leary because it is an all in one mobo and the last time I tried
was with slack 8.1. The video would not work (not even the console).
Anyways I read an article in max pc which rekindled my interest so I did
some searching but cannot find either good or bad about my mobo and linux
with the exception of a couple of vague references about a specific cdrw not
working (differing chipset than mine though). Oh yeah and there was the
persian linux site (cool looking language; reminds me of Bengali).

The mobo stats are:
gigabyte ga-7vkmls
via km266 memory/agp/pci controller (pac)
via vt8233a low-cost v-link client highly integrated

All the other features like sound and lan are supported;
I've done installs on other machines with the same features;
realtek lan, ac97 sound etc and they either worked or needed
modest config to make work.

I am tempted to take my old machine back; but there is the wife
to deal with.

Any input would be appreciated,
Rich

 
 
 

compatibility searches

Post by Chris Col » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:37:33



> Hi all
>  I have done searches for linux compatibility for my mobo, without any luck.
> I am very leary because it is an all in one mobo and the last time I tried
> was with slack 8.1. The video would not work (not even the console).
> Anyways I read an article in max pc which rekindled my interest so I did
> some searching but cannot find either good or bad about my mobo and linux
> with the exception of a couple of vague references about a specific cdrw not
> working (differing chipset than mine though). Oh yeah and there was the
> persian linux site (cool looking language; reminds me of Bengali).

> The mobo stats are:
> gigabyte ga-7vkmls
> via km266 memory/agp/pci controller (pac)
> via vt8233a low-cost v-link client highly integrated

What you need to do is search for the chipset rather than the mobo. The
chipset search space is rather larger than a particular variant of a mobo.
A quick search for VIA KM266 threw this up:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1839

Seems to suggest the chipset works fine. You need to do the same for the
rest. However, I'd say for a mobo of this age you shouldn't have any
problems as any issues would have been resolved by now.

HTH
Chris,

 
 
 

compatibility searches

Post by Curtis A. Littl » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:48:45




>>Hi all
>> I have done searches for linux compatibility for my mobo, without any luck.
>>I am very leary because it is an all in one mobo and the last time I tried
>>was with slack 8.1. The video would not work (not even the console).
>>Anyways I read an article in max pc which rekindled my interest so I did
>>some searching but cannot find either good or bad about my mobo and linux
>>with the exception of a couple of vague references about a specific cdrw not
>>working (differing chipset than mine though). Oh yeah and there was the
>>persian linux site (cool looking language; reminds me of Bengali).

>>The mobo stats are:
>>gigabyte ga-7vkmls
>>via km266 memory/agp/pci controller (pac)
>>via vt8233a low-cost v-link client highly integrated

>What you need to do is search for the chipset rather than the mobo. The
>chipset search space is rather larger than a particular variant of a mobo.
>A quick search for VIA KM266 threw this up:
>http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1839

>Seems to suggest the chipset works fine. You need to do the same for the
>rest. However, I'd say for a mobo of this age you shouldn't have any
>problems as any issues would have been resolved by now.

>HTH
>Chris,

I have a cheapo pc with the very same components you have, which I
bought on a special.  It originally had
lindows on it.  I wanted to do more with it than what that installation
seemed to have, so I installed SuSE 9,0.
All components were correctly identified, and the appropriate modules
configured.  It worked fine, with no
headaches on my part:  I only had to do the regular system admin (user
accounts, network, e-mail, etc).
I'm currently looking for 3D support, but the system works fine.
 
 
 

compatibility searches

Post by Gary » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:07:05



> Hi all
>  I have done searches forparticularatibility for my mobo, without any
>  luck.
> I am very leary because it is an all in one mobo and the last time I tried
> was with slack 8.1. The video would not work (not even the console).

Hi,

Might I suggest that you use Knoppix_v3.7-2004-12-08-EN to see how your
machine boots. By using this as a test bed, you can get an idea how the
system is configured.

Then use Slackware 10.0  or whatever distribution you like to take the
configuration you found with Knoppix. Make your new configuration according
to what you found. Sure, a broad statement but you will have to do some
work on your own!

It will take you a bit more work but it seems you were shooting in the dark
before!

Some tweaking of the kernel might be necessary for a particular hardware
configuration.

--
Regards and God speed,
Gary

The magic is in the Magician not the wand!

 
 
 

compatibility searches

Post by /dev/nul » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:13:54


Quote:> I have done searches for linux compatibility for my mobo, without any
> luck. I am very leary because it is an all in one mobo and the last time I
> tried was with slack 8.1. The video would not work (not even the console).

I doubt that.  I've installed many slack 8.1 text-only boxes.  If your bios
shows up on the video then you slack will too.  When it asks you which video
mode you want (durring install) tell it text only.  Don't select any of the
resolution sizes listed.
 
 
 

compatibility searches

Post by Damas » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:09:13


Thanks for the response. Just a little note on 3D support-even though the
chipset supports some level of 3D it is hampered by a limitation of 32MB of
video memory and the fact of that being shared memory. So, even you do find
3D support you won't find a major increase in performance. Some games that
require it will run, but not ones that require real computing power. Mine
(under windows) wouldn't RUN "Rise of Nations". I think pretty soon if
someone wants to play games their going to have to buy a really expensive
system or least the system will have to be less than a year old.  Anyways, I
would try OpenGL, I believe that this mobo supports its use.



Quote:> I'm currently looking for 3D support, but the system works fine.

 
 
 

compatibility searches

Post by Damas » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:18:16


Thanks for the response. The link you gave was the wrong chipset, however I
followed your advice on to search for compatibility and came up with a
better response. That advice will definitely come in handy from now on,
thanks again.

Quote:> what you need to do is search for the chipset rather than the mobo. The
> chipset search space is rather larger than a particular variant of a mobo.
> A quick search for VIA KM266 threw this up:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1839

> Seems to suggest the chipset works fine. You need to do the same for the
> rest. However, I'd say for a mobo of this age you shouldn't have any
> problems as any issues would have been resolved by now.

> HTH
> Chris,

 
 
 

compatibility searches

Post by Mark Sout » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:25:40



> I think pretty soon if
> someone wants to play games their going to have to buy a really expensive
> system or least the system will have to be less than a year old.

In fact, if someone wants to play games there are plenty of options for
low-cost solutions.  They have names like Nintendo, Playstation, and Xbox.

They are all under $200 these days, the games are better, and other people
can use the computer to do real work even when games are being played.

Otherwise, a $3000 computer will play games almost as well as one of the
above, at the additional cost of being noisier and running hotter.

--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

 
 
 

compatibility searches

Post by Damas » Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:36:33


 I probably didn't realize at the time I could do text only install.  I also
suspect a defective disc because after about the third try it would not boot
from the cd at all.  I tried another distro, but I cannot for the life of me
remember which one, with just about the same results.  except the not boot
part.  My effort was a (comparably) long time ago say 18-24 months.  So I
will try with a newer version, but I haven't picked which one yet.


Quote:>> I have done searches for linux compatibility for my mobo, without any
>> luck. I am very leary because it is an all in one mobo and the last time
>> I tried was with slack 8.1. The video would not work (not even the
>> console).

> I doubt that.  I've installed many slack 8.1 text-only boxes.  If your
> bios shows up on the video then you slack will too.  When it asks you
> which video mode you want (durring install) tell it text only.  Don't
> select any of the resolution sizes listed.

 
 
 

1. Searching for a mainboard with onboard components and Linux compatibility

Hi,

i want to build for me a small computer dedictaed for burning. Therefore I
need a small mainboard which has also already all necessary componets
onboard (because pci cards are very big). Also very important for me is the
compatibility with linux dev-drivers. It is for an AMD K6/2 550 (Sockel 7).
Following onboard components are important for me:

100 Mbit Lan-Adapter
VGA-Adapter
ATX
(standard things like ide-controller, serial port. keyboard etc..)

optional (not really nedded but it is better with):

soundcard onboard
mini/baby atx

Any suggestions??? I didn't find any solution on the www.

Thx Frank

2. Q1: user...

3. Video Card (Tseng 4000/W32i) compatibility and other compatibility questions

4. Newbie needs setup help with Caldera Open Linux

5. Linux-search the web quickly with Search Spaniel

6. ANN: HawkNL 1.4 beta 2

7. UNIX-Shell-search the web quickly with Search Spaniel

8. Is there a way to allow a user to kill processes?

9. UNIX-Programming-search the web quickly with Search Spaniel

10. searching for indexing/search software

11. Search file from 'bottom to top', varying search ?

12. NEED SEARCH ENGINE / ROBOT: Search our site and all linked sites

13. Linux-search the web quickly with Search Spaniel