ADSL modem internal PCI vs external ethernet

ADSL modem internal PCI vs external ethernet

Post by Justi » Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:30:59

hello newsgroup!

I have been reading IP Masq HOWTOs and I prob would get an ADSL connection
sometime soon so all the computers in my house can share it. Most ADSl
modems are external (USB or Ethernet ones) but Ive also spotted some
internal PCI ones. an internal one would be nice as I wont have extra
box/transformer/wires to deal with. But in the HOWTOs ive been reading they
all concentrate on external ethernet interface ones and so I dont know if an
internal one would be a wise choice for linux (driver availability and IP
Masq configuration problems).

Anyone with suggestions on this?

Thanks

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:25:22

> I have been reading IP Masq HOWTOs and I prob would get an ADSL connection
> sometime soon so all the computers in my house can share it. Most ADSl
> modems are external (USB or Ethernet ones) but Ive also spotted some
> internal PCI ones. an internal one would be nice as I wont have extra
> box/transformer/wires to deal with. But in the HOWTOs ive been reading they
> all concentrate on external ethernet interface ones and so I dont know if an
> internal one would be a wise choice for linux (driver availability and IP
> Masq configuration problems).

> Anyone with suggestions on this?

The problem with PCI and USB modems is that they usually require special
drivers (including Windows version changes) and if you do not have a
common brand supported by Linux you are SOL.  In fact my ISP discontinued
supplying PCI or USB modems due to the additional customer support
required (although, some external DSL modems may support ethernet and
USB).

Ethernet DSL modems do not require any special hardware, and typically
work with any OS (kernel pppoe or rp-pppoe) or broadband gateway/router
(unless they use some sort of proprietary connection method).

On this side of the pond, the ISP usually supplies the DSL modem, to make
sure it cooperates with their system.  So check with the provider you are
considering to see if you even need to purchase a modem.

The masq is no problem.  If you end up with a modem/router you just
configure masq for the eth0 that connects to it, or with a bridged modem
your external interface is ppp0, configured just like dialup.

Post by Clive Dov » Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:38:21

> hello newsgroup!

> I have been reading IP Masq HOWTOs and I prob would get an ADSL
> connection sometime soon so all the computers in my house can share
> it. Most ADSl modems are external (USB or Ethernet ones) but Ive also
> spotted some internal PCI ones. an internal one would be nice as I
> wont have extra box/transformer/wires to deal with. But in the HOWTOs
> ive been reading they all concentrate on external ethernet interface
> ones and so I dont know if an internal one would be a wise choice for
> linux (driver availability and IP Masq configuration problems).

> Anyone with suggestions on this?

> Thanks

Best bet is to get a dsl modem with a built-in router.  An example is
the Netgear DG814.  This modem has a built-in 4 port router.  The
computers use standard tcp/ip with dhcp which is on every operating
system  No extra software needed.

--
Clive, at Toronto
(remove each x in the email address)