Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM Drive

Post by Adam Smol » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am attempting to get Linux Slackware 3.2 on my PC. It has a Mitsumi 2X
CD-ROM Drive with a propietery interface card. I got two rootdisk images
mcd.i and mcdx.i and neither of them work. Does somebody have a driver
for this CD-ROM Drive?

Adam Smola

Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM Drive

Post by Matt Kirsc » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 > I am attempting to get Linux Slackware 3.2 on my PC. It has a Mitsumi
2X
 > CD-ROM Drive with a propietery interface card. I got two rootdisk
images
 > mcd.i and mcdx.i and neither of them work. Does somebody have a
driver
 > for this CD-ROM Drive?

Yes, somebody does have a driver. You do. The mcd.i disk is the one you
want to try. There is nothing newer as far as drivers, because the drive
has been out of production and obsolete for years.
Read the Mitsumi CDROM section of the Linux CDROM HOWTO for help.

Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM Drive

Post by Peter Nel » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Adam,

What I expect is that your drivers are OK.
Two weeks ago I installed Linux (Redhat) on a machine with a
Mitsumi 2X. My first attempts to do this via the Mitsumi cdrom
failed, because (as I found out a day later) the driver for the
Mitsumi is default loaded with IRQ 11. This IRQ 11 was meant
for the SCSI card which therefore failed to load and caused
that the installation failed.
A solution to this was to load the mitsumi drivers for
another IRQ (and I/O port). You can do this by specifying
the values these as an extra argument when the driver is
loaded. For example:

insmod mcd mcd=0x300,10

For getting the drivers loaded you probably have to
find out what values you set on your card. With
those values you can get the card working.
With the Redhat installation you have to select
the options menu during the installation and specify the
numbers (0x300,10).
With Slackware you probably have to run the command
from the command line.

Peter

>I am attempting to get Linux Slackware 3.2 on my PC. It has a Mitsumi 2X
>CD-ROM Drive with a propietery interface card. I got two rootdisk images
>mcd.i and mcdx.i and neither of them work. Does somebody have a driver
>for this CD-ROM Drive?
>Adam Smola

Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM Drive

Post by Ricardo Salced » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Peter is right.  You need to know the address and the IRQ.  I have an
old 2X Mitsumi.  Mine is plugged into my Sound Blaster card, and is set
to 0x340,10.  I just re-installed Linux last weekend using Slackware.
When I put in the boot disk, there is a point where you are asked for
any extra parameters to send.  I typed in (I am using mcdx.i.  If you
use mcd.i then replace mcdx with mcd):

mount mcdx=0x340,10

Then I was able to proceed with the setup.  After setup (and a re-boot
so that I was using my hard drive's Linux partition) as Peter says, you
will probably have to type in:

insmod mcdx mcdx=0x340,10

then you'll have to mount it.  There should already be a /cdrom
directory, if not create it with mkdir.  Then type:

mount mcdx0 /cdrom

Once I was sure that the cdrom is working (try: ls /cdrom) I added a
line to my /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file:

/sbin/modprobe mcdx mcdx=0x340,10

and I made the file /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom executable with chmod.  I used
chmod 755, but it probably would be safer and should work if you use
chmod 600.  Now everytime I boot up, I have access to my CD-ROM, and if
there is a disc in the drive, it will be mounted automatically.

Ricardo

P.S.
Checkout this link
http://www.eciusa.com/help.html
It is supposed to help identify your Mitsumi CD-ROM drive.  Although it
seems to say that I have an FX001DE, when I'm pretty sure that I have an
FX001D.

--
Don't worry.                    {~~~~~}
 Relax,                         |~T~T~|=|7

                                (_\_/_)

1. Mitsumi 2x CD-ROM drive, IRQ 11 address?

        I realize this may be a FAQ... but I've looke for it and can't
find it!  So, once more, could anyone who knows e-mail me the right mount
mcd= for IRQ 11?  Because this seems to be the only thing really keeping
me from installing Linux on my system.

TIA,

John
--
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under you bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous; with

2. SIGBUS

3. Install Prob: Redhat 7: Mitsumi 2X FX-001D CD-ROM Drive

4. ifor_pm_fatal problem

5. Another nightmare trying to install a 2X MITSUMI CD-ROM Drive!!!

6. NCR SCSI - Multiple cards

7. Mitsumi CD-ROM 2X Problems

8. environment variables problem

9. Mounting a Mitsumi FX100D 2x CD-ROM

10. Red Hat 7.1 install, Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM woes

11. Bootdisk for 2x MITSUMI CD-ROM

12. Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM

13. Mounting a Mitsumi FX100D 2x CD-ROM