Tertiary and quaternary IDE interface?

Post by Dan Geis » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> A year ago when I first tried Linux I could not get it to recognize
> the CD-ROM drive in my main system, because that drive is configured
> and connected, via an add-on card, as the tertiary (third pair)
> master. This week I returned to Linux with RedHat 4.1 and it *still*
> will not see the CD-ROM drive (I run NT 4 on the same system and it
> sees it fine). Is any progress being made, or am I overlooking some
> configeration modification I should write in?
> Steve

nope. I think the Linux kernel just recognises a max of 2 IDE busses. I
could be wrong.
SCSI is better for multiple devices anyway. I just don't think there's
that much demand for over 4 on the IDE side. Do you have 4 other IDEs,
or do you just like having the CD-Rom on the 3rd bus. If the latter, try
moving it and I'll bet Linux will work great.

Again, I may be way off base and there might just be some kernel config
option. I just posted first :)

--
Dan Geist

http://geist.gt.ed.net

Post by Steve Brow » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

A year ago when I first tried Linux I could not get it to recognize
the CD-ROM drive in my main system, because that drive is configured
and connected, via an add-on card, as the tertiary (third pair)
master. This week I returned to Linux with RedHat 4.1 and it *still*
will not see the CD-ROM drive (I run NT 4 on the same system and it
sees it fine). Is any progress being made, or am I overlooking some
configeration modification I should write in?
Steve

Stephen B. Browne

Post by Oleg Zablud » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

: A year ago when I first tried Linux I could not get it to recognize
: the CD-ROM drive in my main system, because that drive is configured
: and connected, via an add-on card, as the tertiary (third pair)
: master. This week I returned to Linux with RedHat 4.1 and it *still*
: will not see the CD-ROM drive (I run NT 4 on the same system and it
: sees it fine). Is any progress being made, or am I overlooking some
: configeration modification I should write in?
: Steve

Linux supports up to 4 IDE interfaces for up to 8 devices. It
supports them for several years now. See /Documentation/ide.txt
in the Linux kernel source for more details.

Oleg.
--
Life is a *ly transmitted, 100% lethal disease.

Post by Steffen Kremse » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

> > A year ago when I first tried Linux I could not get it to recognize
> > the CD-ROM drive in my main system, because that drive is configured
> > and connected, via an add-on card, as the tertiary (third pair)
> > master. This week I returned to Linux with RedHat 4.1 and it *still*
> > will not see the CD-ROM drive (I run NT 4 on the same system and it
> > sees it fine). Is any progress being made, or am I overlooking some
> > configeration modification I should write in?
> > Steve
> nope. I think the Linux kernel just recognises a max of 2 IDE busses. I
> could be wrong.

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt
[..]
Interfaces beyond the first two are not normally probed for, but may be
specified using kernel "command line" options.  For example,

    ide3=0x168,0x36e,10 /* ioports 0x168-0x16f,0x36e, irq 10 */

Normally the irq number need not be specified, as ide.c will probe for it
[..]

Have fun
Steffen
--

Fingerprint=85 86 6A C0 42 0E ED B7  E0 E0 E9 D9 88 E7 72 E1

Post by Radovan Bra » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

>> > [...]

>/usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt

>Interfaces beyond the first two are not normally probed for, but may be
>specified using kernel "command line" options.  For example,

>    ide3=0x168,0x36e,10 /* ioports 0x168-0x16f,0x36e, irq 10 */

>Normally the irq number need not be specified, as ide.c will probe for it

   Even simpler that that. You need only put the line:

      append = "ide2=0x1e8"

   in /etc/lilo.conf, and re-run lilo; then the tertiary interface will
   be detected at boot-up. (Note that tertiary interface is ide2, primary
   and secondary ones being ide0 and ide1.) That if the second ioport
   is at the standard offset from the first (at 0x3ee for ide2); the IRQ
   will be autodetected. (Documented further on in ide.txt.)

      RB

Post by Matt Kirsc » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

> A year ago when I first tried Linux I could not get it to recognize
> the CD-ROM drive in my main system, because that drive is configured
> and connected, via an add-on card, as the tertiary (third pair)
> master. This week I returned to Linux with RedHat 4.1 and it *still*
> will not see the CD-ROM drive (I run NT 4 on the same system and it
> sees it fine). Is any progress being made, or am I overlooking some
> configeration modification I should write in?

A year ago, Linux 1.2.13 ruled the earth. That version did not support
the tertiary or quartenary IDE ports.

Now, 2.0.x is the current ruler of the Linux roost, and it does support
the tertiary and quartenary IDE ports. Unfortunately, it does not
autoprobe them, so you have to tell the kernel that they are there,
or you need to modify the ide.c driver in the kernel source to detect
them automatically. Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt for the
boot arguments for the third and fourth IDE ports.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

Post by Bob Nielse » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

> A year ago when I first tried Linux I could not get it to recognize
> the CD-ROM drive in my main system, because that drive is configured
> and connected, via an add-on card, as the tertiary (third pair)
> master. This week I returned to Linux with RedHat 4.1 and it *still*
> will not see the CD-ROM drive (I run NT 4 on the same system and it
> sees it fine). Is any progress being made, or am I overlooking some
> configeration modification I should write in?
> Steve

This is just a guess, but have you tried "cdrom=/dev/hde" at the LILO
prompt?

--

                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen

Post by Matt Kirsc » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

> This is just a guess, but have you tried "cdrom=/dev/hde" at the LILO
> prompt?

Damn straight that's a guess, and a random one at that :)

The corect syntax is "hde=cdrom".
You can also specify the port. Read the ide.txt file in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation. "ide2=0x1e8" "ide3=0x168"
All the kernel needs is a little poke to probe the interfaces.

Or, if you're particularly creative, you can add the autoprobe
sequence to the third and fourth IDE interfaces in ide.c

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

1. Quaternary ide interface

I have a ATAPI CD-ROM connected at my Sound Card (a sound blaster).
It's at IRQ 10 and i/o 0x168-0x36e (the CD-ROM), on the Quaternary ide
interface (/dev/hdh on linux).

Does OpenBSD support it?

--
I use UNIX because reboots are for hardware upgrades.
You use windowze because the guy on TV told you to ...

2. Cross platform news readers

3. tertiary (soundcard) IDE controller Q

4. Broadcast sockets help

5. Tertiary ide port undefinable with 1.2.13(elfs) using non-LILO boot?

6. Solaris 2.7 and gcc for Sol 2.6

7. tertiary IDE drive, finding base address

8. Install problem with DPT PM2024

9. Linux installation of TERTIARY ide channel???

10. Lilo troubles (tertiary IDE)

11. tertiary IDE port? /dev/hd2x?

12. tertiary ide controllers

13. Tertiary (E)IDE Ports and Instalation