RH51, ETHERNET: IBM ISA Ethernet adapter help!

RH51, ETHERNET: IBM ISA Ethernet adapter help!

Post by Paul Camiller » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Here's the scoop:

I can't get this IBM ISA ethernet adapter to work with Red Hat 5.1.
When the network stuff is supposed to configure, I get a message

SIOCADDRT: invalid argument
Delaying eth0 initialization.

I know the card is good - I know there isn't an IBM ethernet adapter
driver that I can find.

Supposedly the card is NE2000 or EtherCard 16PLUS compatible, depending
on setup options.  I try both the NE driver for Linux, and WD driver,
both with and without specifying the I/O and IRQ (300h and 10,
respectively).  I've changed multiple settings on the card.

THe chip on the card appears to be a National Semiconductor, written on
it is 59524AX, Patented 1992, DP83905AVQB AT/LANTIC.

Any hints or clues that might get me any further?  Has anyone gotten
this card to run?  Where can I find SIOCADDRT, or at least what does it
mean?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

RH51, ETHERNET: IBM ISA Ethernet adapter help!

Post by William O'Nea » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

after you boot and type #dmesg | grep eth0 what other ethernet messages
do you see?

wil

--
William O'Neal
Features Editor, Gamecenter

"For me hope is like torture, it's something I can't afford.
If I dwell on 'what if,' I start wanting things I can't have."

James Beathard, death row inmate in Texas

1. linux driver for IBM ISA ethernet adapter?

We're finally taking the linux plunge, adding a pentium system
to our network of other (DEC,SGI,Sun) UNIX workstations.  The
company from which we bought the pentium box offered a number
of different ethernet cards, but none of them appeared in the
list of supported models in the "Linux Ethernet HOWTO" document.

My plan was to get the system without an ethernet card, and buy
some known-to-work-reliably card from someplace else.  But ...

They tossed in an IBM ethernet card as a freebie!  Problem is,
it isn't even mentioned in the HOWTO document.  (Three other
IBM devices are listed, but none of them seems even remotely
similar.)

The box itself (as well as the User's Guide inside) just calls
it an IBM "10 Base-T ISA Ethernet Adapter".  On the end flaps
(though nowhere in the User's Guide that I can find) they call
it P/N 60G0605.  (But in view of how IBM likes to assign part
numbers to nearly everything, maybe that's the part number of
the box. ;-)

Does anyone know anything at all about this board?  Is there a
linux driver for it anywhere?  Or is it functionally equivalent
to some other board for which there is a driver?  Or ...

Many thanks in advance.

Mark Bartelt                                       416/978-5619

Theoretical Astrophysics      http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~mark

"Nur eine Waffel taugt!"   --   Parsifal, in an Eggo commercial

2. Xfree1.3 says Unknown ChipSet : Trident 0x53

3. 2 PCI Ethernet or 1 PCI + 1 ISA Ethernet?

4. PPP Dial-in - need help

5. Ethernet adapter in promiscuous mode on switched ethernet?

6. Script that pings a remote IP in tervals

7. identify isa ethernet adapter

8. FP3.0 server extensions and apache 12.5 -- Spasz city on my end

9. Two ethernet adapters in ISA machine

10. LEAF ISA Ethernet Adaptor.

11. Driver for AT CentreCOM LA-ISA Ethernet Adaptor

12. ISA-Ethernet-Adapter slow

13. ISA Support for Ethernet Adapters