Keyboard switchbox HELP!

Post by Mark » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Any person who can answer this question will make my life alot easier.
I am running numerous Linux servers and would like to use one monitor and
keyboard for all machines. I have purchased a "multi function switch-box"
allowing 4x VGA/serial/keyboard to be switched.
It is purely a passive/manual device.
The problem I am experiencing is this:
On a DOS box, switching between machines is seemless. Under Linux it doesn't
work. The keyboard will not respond when actuating the switch. All
motherboards are running standard AT 5 pin DIN connections, NOT PS2. The
kernals are all Slackware 2.0.20 and better.
I have allready cooked one keyboard controller rendering a test machine
useless in my endeavor.
The switch is a "break then make" type which may be of some help.
I was also wondering if connecting the keyboard clock output from the
keyboard to all the linux boxes may help. I have not tryed anything else
since the last drama with the cooked keyboard controller.
Even the smallest ideas you have may help. Thanks in advance.

Keyboard switchbox HELP!

Post by Trevor Astrop » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I'm not sure if this will help you, but we have a Data Transfer Switch
that will switch between 4 different keyboard/monitor pairs. We only use
it to switch between a Win95 and Linux box. All works fine. The only
problem with the Linux box is that it won't boot unless the box is
switched to the Linux keyboard. This most likely due to a bios setting
though, because it wouldn't boot without a keyboard when it used to run
dos. The Win95 box boots when the switch is on Linux though.

Hope that helps.

Trevor

> Any person who can answer this question will make my life alot easier.
> I am running numerous Linux servers and would like to use one monitor and
> keyboard for all machines. I have purchased a "multi function switch-box"
> allowing 4x VGA/serial/keyboard to be switched.
> It is purely a passive/manual device.
> The problem I am experiencing is this:
> On a DOS box, switching between machines is seemless. Under Linux it doesn't
> work. The keyboard will not respond when actuating the switch. All
> motherboards are running standard AT 5 pin DIN connections, NOT PS2. The
> kernals are all Slackware 2.0.20 and better.
> I have allready cooked one keyboard controller rendering a test machine
> useless in my endeavor.
> The switch is a "break then make" type which may be of some help.
> I was also wondering if connecting the keyboard clock output from the
> keyboard to all the linux boxes may help. I have not tryed anything else
> since the last drama with the cooked keyboard controller.
> Even the smallest ideas you have may help. Thanks in advance.

*       Trevor Astrope         *        TABB Web Services        *

***              Visit my Tragically Hip web site              ***
***               The Hundredth Meridian                       ***
****              http://www.tabbweb.com/thehip/              ****