HP CD Writer and Red Hat 6.2, CDR works fine, CDRW doesn't ....

HP CD Writer and Red Hat 6.2, CDR works fine, CDRW doesn't ....

Post by Linux G » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:56:42

Hi there everyone, sorry to bug you, but I saw your post on the
newsgroup and you said you have got your cdrw to work in Linux so I
decided to ask you a quick question. I set ip up ok, and I'm able to
burn CDR's and fixate them , then I can open them just as any other
Linux CD's or, just by mounting the cdrom. However, I try to do that
with my CDRW's, I blank the CD and save stuff to it, but I can't mount
the CDRW again to view what's in it. Do you have any ideas of what I'm
doing wrong or what I can do to be able to mount my CDRW's and be able
to view what's in it and still be able to keep saving things to do it,
as it supposed to be done? Many thanks in advance,

Linuxguy

HP CD Writer and Red Hat 6.2, CDR works fine, CDRW doesn't ....

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:18:27

On 16 Oct 2001 09:56:42 -0700, Linux Guy staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:>Hi there everyone, sorry to bug you, but I saw your post on the
>newsgroup and you said you have got your cdrw to work in Linux so I
>decided to ask you a quick question.

Can the preamble; this group is here so that people can ask
questions....

Quote:>I set up ok, and I'm able to burn CDR's and fixate them , then I can
>open them just as any other Linux CD's or, just by mounting the cdrom.
>However, I try to do that with my CDRW's, I blank the CD and save stuff
>to it, but I can't mount the CDRW again to view what's in it.

How are you writing to the CD-RWs?  Are you using the standard mkisofs +
cdrecord combination (or one of its many frontends, like XCDRoast), or
are you using the experimental packet-writing interface?  Are you using
the multi-session support?  One thing that I've seen frequently is that
a multi-session disc will often not be readable until you eject and
reload the CD.  This is dependent on the hardware, I think--at least, my
Plextor doesn't do this.

Quote:>Do you have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong or what I can do to be
>able to mount my CDRW's and be able to view what's in it and still be
>able to keep saving things to do it, as it supposed to be done?

"as it supposed to be done"?  Contrary to what you may have heard, a
CD-RW is not a big floppy disk.  For maximum compatability and minimum
bugginess, if you want to write to a CD-RW in more than one shot, you
should use the multi-session support.  This can be done like so:

First session:
mkisofs -r /path/to/dir | cdrecord -v -multi speed=4 dev=0,1,0 -

Subsequent sessions:
MSINFO=`cdrecord -msinfo`
mkisofs -r -C $MSINFO -M /dev/scd0 /path/to/dir | cdrecord -v -multi \
speed=4 dev=0,1,0 -

Final session:
(leave off the "-multi".)

Multisession support for reading is strange sometimes.  Some people have
reported that only the last session written is visible until you write
the final session and close the TOC.  You can get around this with one
of the parameters to the mount command, like so:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom -o ro,session=2

mounts session #2 and only session #2.  This is a kludge though, and
really shouldn't be necessary.  UDF packet writing is still experimental
under Linux, though read support for UDF is stable.  Hope this helped;
please look at http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html and see
if there's anything useful to you there as well.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

HP CD Writer and Red Hat 6.2, CDR works fine, CDRW doesn't ....

Post by Linux G » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:01:34

Thank you so much for your answers, I'll be trying that out tonight
when I get home from work and let you know as I go. I was writing to
the CD RW with XCDRoast and I tought I had the multi session support
set up, but I'll double check. I'll also try the commands you showed
me and see if that works. I was able to blank the CD RW with XCDRoast
and then save files to it, however when I tryed to see what was in it
the following day, I couldn't mount the CD RW. Following is the info I
got from my system: (By the way, I've read almost every single piece
of HOWTO about CDROM's and CDRW's and CD Writing)

This is the entry it shows on boot up:
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devicesscsi : 1
host.  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 7500   Rev: 1.0a  Type:
CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02Detected scsi
CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0scsi : detected 1 SCSI
cdrom total.sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda
tray

   root            4 Oct 13 22:04 /dev/cdrom -> scd0lrwxrwxrwx    1
root     root            9 Oct 13 22:08 /dev/cdrom1 ->
/dev/scd0brw-rw----    1 root     disk      15,   0 May  5  1998
/dev/cdu31abrw-r-----    1 root     disk      24,   0 May  5  1998
/dev/cdu535lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Jul 12 13:17
/dev/sg0 -> sga

My  /etc/fstab looks like this:
/dev/hda6               /                       ext2    defaults
 1 1/dev/hda2               /boot                   ext2    defaults
     1 2/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,ro 0 0/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy
auto    noauto,owner    0 0none                    /proc
    proc    defaults        0 0none                    /dev/pts
        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0/dev/hda5               swap
            swap    defaults        0 0/dev/hda1
/mnt/windows98          vfat    defaults        0 0

This is the log from XCDRoast when I blank my CD-RW:

scsidev: '0,0,0'scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0Linux sg driver version:
2.1.36Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001
Jrg SchillingTOC Type: 1 = CD-ROMUsing libscg version
'schily-0.5'atapi: 1Device type    : Removable CD-ROMVersion        :
0Response Format: 1Vendor_info    : 'HP      'Identifikation :
'CD-Writer+ 7500 'Revision       : '1.0a'Device seems to be: Generic
mmc CD-RW.Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).Driver flags
 : SWABAUDIODrive buf size : 1040128 = 1015 KBCurrent Secsize: 2048
ATIP start of lead in:  -11635 (97:26/65)  ATIP start of lead out:
337350 (75:00/00)Disk type:    Phase changeManuf. index:
3Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics CorporationBlocks total: 337350 Blocks
current: 330312 Blocks remaining: 330462Starting to write CD/DVD at
speed 2 in write mode for single session.##########0 seconds.
Operation starts.Blanking PMA, TOC, pregapBlanking time:   88.053s

disk      11,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/scd0brw-rw----    1 root     disk
    11,   1 May  5  1998 /dev/scd1brw-rw----    1 root     disk
11,   2 May  5  1998 /dev/scd2brw-rw----    1 root     disk      11,
3 May  5  1998 /dev/scd3brw-rw----    1 root     disk      11,   4 May
 5  1998 /dev/scd4brw-rw----    1 root     disk      11,   5 May  5
1998 /dev/scd5brw-rw----    1 root     disk      11,   6 May  5  1998
/dev/scd6brw-rw----    1 root     disk      11,   7 May  5  1998
/dev/scd7

            7336   0 nls_iso8859-1           2240   1
(autoclean)nls_cp437               3748   1  (autoclean)vfat
         9372   1  (autoclean)fat                    30880   1
(autoclean) [vfat]

(i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jrg SchillingLinux
sg driver version: 2.1.36Using libscg version
'schily-0.5'scsibus0:   0,0,0     0) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 7500 ' '1.0a'
Removable CD-ROM        0,1,0     1) *  0,2,0     2) *  0,3,0     3) *  0,4,0     4)
*       0,5,0     5) *  0,6,0     6) *  0,7,0     7) *

mount: Wrong medium type

HP CD Writer and Red Hat 6.2, CDR works fine, CDRW doesn't ....

Post by Linux G » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 02:06:30

Thanks for the reply, here are some more answers and questions for
you:

Quote:> How are you writing to the CD-RWs?  Are you using the standard mkisofs +
> cdrecord combination (or one of its many frontends, like XCDRoast), or
> are you using the experimental packet-writing interface?  Are you using
> the multi-session support?  One thing that I've seen frequently is that
> a multi-session disc will often not be readable until you eject and
> reload the CD.  This is dependent on the hardware, I think--at least, my
> Plextor doesn't do this.

I was using CDRXroast and now I tried the commands you gave me. I had
to eject the CD and reload it so I was able to mount it.

Quote:

> "as it supposed to be done"?  Contrary to what you may have heard, a
> CD-RW is not a big floppy disk.  For maximum compatability and minimum
> bugginess, if you want to write to a CD-RW in more than one shot, you
> should use the multi-session support.  This can be done like so:

> First session:
> mkisofs -r /path/to/dir | cdrecord -v -multi speed=4 dev=0,1,0 -

> Subsequent sessions:
> MSINFO=`cdrecord -msinfo`
> mkisofs -r -C $MSINFO -M /dev/scd0 /path/to/dir | cdrecord -v -multi \
> speed=4 dev=0,1,0 -

> Final session:
> (leave off the "-multi".)

I used those commands and I was able to write to the CD RW, however,
eventough I specified the "-multi" option, the CD RW was fixated and I
was able to mount the CD RW (which is a good thing). If I fixate the
CD RW I can mount it now, just fine, however, I was interested in
knowing if I can write to the CD RW and not fixate it and be able to
mount it and read from it.

Quote:> Multisession support for reading is strange sometimes.  Some people have
> reported that only the last session written is visible until you write
> the final session and close the TOC.  You can get around this with one
> of the parameters to the mount command, like so:

> mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom -o ro,session=2

> mounts session #2 and only session #2.  This is a kludge though, and
> really shouldn't be necessary.

I tryed to do this and it didn't work, unless the CD RW was fixated
already, which it was then automounted anyways. Any ideas?

SO, here is the scoop so far:

I'm able to read the CDR I made, I burn it, with whatever info I want
in it, I fixate it, and then I just mount and view it just fine. No
problems there. My problem is only with CD RW's not the CD R's. I'm
able to blank the CD RW and then write stuff to it, however, when I
finish doing the writting, I can't mount the CD RW (note, only the CD
RW, the CD R is fine). I keep receiveing those error messages I posted
earlier.

Q.: What happens when you try to mount the CD RW(which has been writen
to but not fixated)with:
mount /mnt/cdrom

A.:When I eject the CD RW I just wrote to (with success)and haven't
fixated  and put it back in the computer and try to mount it, the
following happens:

mount: Wrong medium type

I have even tryed blanking the CD using only cdrecord and its tools
and then also saved to the CD RW some information (also with success)
with the following comand:

First session:
mkisofs -r /usr/local/src | cdrecord -v -multi speed=4 dev=0,1,0 -

I thought that if I set the option "-multi", the CD RW would accept
further input at a later time, when I try to save more things to it.
However, after the procedure is finished, the CD RW is fixated (which
I didn't want to happen) and I'm not allowed to save anything else to
the CD RW, unless I blank the CD again and start it over. However,
since the CD RW was fixated, I'm now able to mount it and view it....
Does this all make sense, I mean, do you understand what I'm trying to
explain? Sorry it might seem a bit confusing ,but that's what's been
happening with my system.... <g> :)

Thanks for your time again, hope someone can help me .....   :)

Linuxguy

1. Red Hat 6.2, Highpoint HPT366: installs fine, won't boot stopping at 'LI'

Many people have trouble with lilo. Personally, I gave up and
boot from floppy. The added delay is irrelevant since my machine
is always on.

Previously I found that installing a boot partition only seems
to work if lilo runs on that same disk.
Then there are limitations to the position of the kernel on the
disk. Has to be somewhere in the first 512 sectors, I believe.
Check the man pages, howto's and the newsgroups.

So in short: create a boot floppy during installation and install
lilo afterwards.

Patching the kernel is not required to boot. Did I miss something?

Good luck.
Guus.

2. Wwhy can I login as root with SSH??

3. Crystal CS4232 Sound Card works fine now on Red Hat 6.2 Box

4. Glenn Herrin's IP Networking document

5. Red Hat 6.2 works but not Red hat 7

6. NT 4.0 and linux

7. Red Hat 6.2 doesn't see HD device on SCSI ASUS PCI/SIU-2

8. Help, something with my nameserver

9. IDE CDRW SCSI Emulation set up under Red Hat 6.2

10. CDR in Red Hat 6.2

11. FS: Win4Lin CD + Red Hat 6.2 CDs

12. IDE CD-RW doesn't work after RedHat 6.2 upgrade

13. rh 6.2 and ATAPI cdrw (hp 9300), how to get scsi emulation to work