Help needed with SCSI Problem with aha152x .. TIA

Help needed with SCSI Problem with aha152x .. TIA

Post by Chris Wrigh » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have been trying to get my Adaptec AVA-1505 ISA SCSI Card working on my
Redhat 6.0 installation. But no go.

when I try :-

# insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,9,7,1

I get the following reported:-

aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled,
parity=enabled,
    syncronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
aha152x: trying software interupt, lost.
aha152x: IRQ possibly wrong. Please verify.
scsi : 0 hosts
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/aha152x.o: init module: Device or resource busy

However the card IS on IRQ 9, and is reconised as such i both
Windows 98 and Windows NT.

I know that the best solution is to go out and buy a half decent controller,
but I hate being defeated, ... , and I hate credit card interest :).

Any help with this would be much appreciated, since it's my last stumbling
block, having configured, without problems, my Banshee graphic card and my
SoundBlaster 32 Plug and Prey

TIA

Help needed with SCSI Problem with aha152x .. TIA

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
>aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled,
>parity=enabled,
>    syncronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
>aha152x: trying software interupt, lost.
>aha152x: IRQ possibly wrong. Please verify.

[...]

This IRQ is possibly used by another device as well. The AHA152* driver
needs fast interrupts, so sharing this IRQ with anything else won't work.

Michael

1. Need Help installing Adaptec AHA152X SCSI card

I've been trying to install LINUX Red Hat 4 onto a Compac Presario CDS 660
(66MHz 486SX) but have not been able to get LILO to recognize our Adaptec
AHA-1510A/1520A/1522A SCSI card. Without the SCSI, we're unable to install
from the Red Hat CD.

I've read enough on the 'Net to know this is a common problem with these
cards. I even found hints about work-arounds but don't have not been able to
get them to work. There's some information on the Adaptec site but nothing
particular to our situation.

Our research has indicated we're supposed to use a variation of
"aha152x=0x340,11,7,1" to enable the card. Getting the IRQ & I/O data from
Windows95, we've tried variations using settings from our own PC (our card
uses IRQ 10 and has an I/O address of 0340 - 035F) but this hasn't worked.
We have to admit without clear syntax instructions, we may not have done it
properly. Also, we do not know what settings the "7" and the "1" in the
string refer to and so cannot be sure whether or not what we tried was
correct.

The LINUX SCSI HOWTO also suggests that this card has an on-board BIOS that
may be complicating things. Since we bought the card used (it works
perfectly under Windows), we do not have documentation and do not  know how
to enable/disable the card's BIOS. Any information on how this can be done
would be appreciated.

We've asked a lot of questions... Thanks for your consideration.
--

Best Regards,

James E. Coleman
Upsala '75

Change 'nospam' to 'upsala' to reply via email

2. Silly X Question on Backspace/Delete (mosaic)

3. HELP: AHA152x SCSI Problem

4. static linkage works, shared doesn't

5. Two Problems, Need Help.. TIA!

6. Ftp performance over PPP

7. Problem with AHA152x (Was: aha152x Freezes my machine)

8. Partioning FAT32 file system with FIPS.

9. REQ: Need advise about SCSI Card.... TIA

10. Help with two SCSI cards - both AHA152x

11. Can't use SCSI aha152x as a laodbale module, HELP.

12. HELP with SB16-SCSI CD-ROM (aha152x)

13. HELP: How to change SCSI ID of HBA..........................................TIA