Actiontec 56k internal PCI Call-Waiting modem.

Actiontec 56k internal PCI Call-Waiting modem.

Post by Tony » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Here is what i found from the maker of my modem Actiontec. After a couple of
e-mail to them and a visit to their site here is what makes this modem work
in Linux. It is an easy to aquire modem. You can find it at mmost major
electronics stores. It Work Great. And this modem is easy to go out and get
if you are willing to spend a little money to get Open Linux online. Here is
Actiontec's solution for their 56k Internal PCI Call-Waiting Modem...

Log on to Linux as root. Then from the KDE desktop click the terminal
icon(the one that looks like two computers in the taskbar). Then type in the
following command:

cat /proc/pci

The following is an example of information to look for when the computer
return it to the screen:

Bus 0. device 12, function 0:
      Communication controller: Lucent (ex-AT&T)
        Microelectronics Unknown device (rev 0).
           Vendor id=11c1. Device id=480.
           Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 11. Master capable.
No bursts. Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.
           Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0800000 [0xe0800000].
           I/O at 0xa000 [0xa001].
           I/O at 0x9800 [0x9801].
           I/O at 0x9400 [0x9401].

Write down the first I/O range this example shows that I/O is 0xa000. The
values may vary dependng on the system. Then Type:

setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xa000 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig

and hit enter. If there are no errors, then type:

setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A

and hit enter.

[Note : If you recieved errors during any of the preceding then you should
check to make sure that the modem is in a PCI SLOT THAT CAN NOT ALSO BE A
ISA SLOT. My Compaq 5152's board has a slot that can be a PCI or ISA slot.
This is what caused my original problems with setting up this modem. Simply
removing the card from the PCI/ISA slot and placing it into a STRICTLY PCI
slot solved the problem of my I/O errors during my original setting up of
this modem. This is the only help I have for solving the I/O errors that you
might recieve during the setup of this modem.]

Select /dev/ttyS3 as the device in whichever dial-up communication program
you're using. It should now initialize and operate.

Edit the rc.local or rc.serial file located in the /etc/rc.d directory. Add
the two setserial lines at the end of the file. Save and reboot the system.

THE ABOVE WORKS FOR CALDERA OPEN LINUX 2.3 WHEN YOU HAVE AN ACTIONTEC
INTERNAL 56k PCI CALL-WAITING MODEM.
THE FOLLOWING ARE ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR OTHER DISTRIBUTIONS OF
LINUX(OTHER THAN CALDERA).

If you are using the S.u.S.E distribution, this can be done by adding the
command to /sbin/init.d/serial  according to your needs.

If you are using Debian distribution, go to the /etc/rcS.d directory. Edit
the file called S30setserial and add the two setserial lines.

Actiontec 56k internal PCI Call-Waiting modem.

Post by Glitc » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

any certain reason for posting exactly what is already in their
instruction manaul? ( I know it's there b/c I have the modem)

> Here is what i found from the maker of my modem Actiontec. After a couple of
> e-mail to them and a visit to their site here is what makes this modem work
> in Linux. It is an easy to aquire modem. You can find it at mmost major
> electronics stores. It Work Great. And this modem is easy to go out and get
> if you are willing to spend a little money to get Open Linux online. Here is
> Actiontec's solution for their 56k Internal PCI Call-Waiting Modem...

> Log on to Linux as root. Then from the KDE desktop click the terminal
> icon(the one that looks like two computers in the taskbar). Then type in the
> following command:

> cat /proc/pci

> The following is an example of information to look for when the computer
> return it to the screen:

> Bus 0. device 12, function 0:
>       Communication controller: Lucent (ex-AT&T)
>         Microelectronics Unknown device (rev 0).
>            Vendor id=11c1. Device id=480.
>            Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 11. Master capable.
> No bursts. Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.
>            Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0800000 [0xe0800000].
>            I/O at 0xa000 [0xa001].
>            I/O at 0x9800 [0x9801].
>            I/O at 0x9400 [0x9401].

> Write down the first I/O range this example shows that I/O is 0xa000. The
> values may vary dependng on the system. Then Type:

> setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xa000 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig

> and hit enter. If there are no errors, then type:

> setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A

> and hit enter.

> [Note : If you recieved errors during any of the preceding then you should
> check to make sure that the modem is in a PCI SLOT THAT CAN NOT ALSO BE A
> ISA SLOT. My Compaq 5152's board has a slot that can be a PCI or ISA slot.
> This is what caused my original problems with setting up this modem. Simply
> removing the card from the PCI/ISA slot and placing it into a STRICTLY PCI
> slot solved the problem of my I/O errors during my original setting up of
> this modem. This is the only help I have for solving the I/O errors that you
> might recieve during the setup of this modem.]

> Select /dev/ttyS3 as the device in whichever dial-up communication program
> you're using. It should now initialize and operate.

> Edit the rc.local or rc.serial file located in the /etc/rc.d directory. Add
> the two setserial lines at the end of the file. Save and reboot the system.

> THE ABOVE WORKS FOR CALDERA OPEN LINUX 2.3 WHEN YOU HAVE AN ACTIONTEC
> INTERNAL 56k PCI CALL-WAITING MODEM.
> THE FOLLOWING ARE ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR OTHER DISTRIBUTIONS OF
> LINUX(OTHER THAN CALDERA).

> If you are using the S.u.S.E distribution, this can be done by adding the
> command to /sbin/init.d/serial  according to your needs.

> If you are using Debian distribution, go to the /etc/rcS.d directory. Edit
> the file called S30setserial and add the two setserial lines.

1. Actiontec Call Waiting 56K PCI V92 Modem

Hi all...  Has anyone been able to get the new actiontec PCI modem
working with mgetty and vgetty.  I am having some strange problems with
both.  When mgetty and vgetty are started from inittab they will not
pick up the phone correctly.  I see mgetty sending ATA, but it get's no
response.  vgetty says that it can't pick up the phone.

When I try to run them from the command line, they seem to work for the
most part.  vgetty has some problem with the voice compression.  Still
investigating that.

What is the difference between the command line and the inittab?

Oh ya, if I kill the vgetty process that was started from inittab, it's
never able to communicate properly with the modem again...  I have to
restart the system.

If there are any specific details you think you might need that I left
out just let me know.

I just downloaded the latest mgetty release today...

Thanks,
Kevin

2. insmod

3. Actiontec 56K Call Waiting Modem V92 PCI

4. Can Solaris 2.6 support more than 15 simultaneous logins

5. Unable to use Actiontec 56K Internal PCI Call Waiting modem with linux 2.4.19-rc2 kernel

6. Hacking glibc's dynamic linker

7. Unable to use Actiontec 56K Internal PCI Call Waiting modem w ith linux 2.4.19-rc2 kernel

8. KSH script won't work under IRIX 5.2 ??

9. Fw: actiontec 56K pci internal modem

10. actiontec 56K pci internal modem

11. actiontec call waiting pci modem

12. Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

13. actiontec 56k pci pro internal anybody use/used this