#9 Motion 531 -- I am happy with it

Post by John Patrick Po » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

:
: I know that many people are wondering which video card to buy to use with X.
: I had that dilemma myself. I ended up with Number Nine FX Motion 531.  It
: is fast, it has S3 chipset which is supported by just about anything
: (even OS/2 2.1, which is known for it "selective" hardware support) and
: it is affordable.. I bought mine for $99 in a retail store. It has 1 mb
: video ram (DRAM). If you want VRAM, you can get Motion 771 with 2mb VRAM,
: but that will cost $299.
:

I also have a Motion 531 that I am happy with.  Except I can't get it to work
in 1280x1024x8 mode.  I bought the extra megabyte of memory from "Chip
Merchant" for ~$30, and the card should be able to give me that mode at up to
72Hz refresh.  Unfortunately, I end up with a very very jittery screen.

Does anyone else have this working?

Thanks,

John
--

|         |
+--+  ==  |  John Patrick Poet          Blue Sky Tours

1. #9 Motion 531 -- I am happy with it

I know that many people are wondering which video card to buy to use with X.
I had that dilemma myself. I ended up with Number Nine FX Motion 531.  It
is fast, it has S3 chipset which is supported by just about anything
(even OS/2 2.1, which is known for it "selective" hardware support) and
it is affordable.. I bought mine for $99 in a retail store. It has 1 mb
video ram (DRAM). If you want VRAM, you can get Motion 771 with 2mb VRAM,
but that will cost $299.

I consider it one of my best computer purchases.
The only problem is that getting svga high resolutions to work with
svgalib in linux. I think the difficulty is the programmable clock.
However, every *decent* new video hard hs programmable clock chip, and,
besides, these modes do work after some messing around.

I am not in any way affiliated with Number Nine Visual Technologies.

Andre

2. SLIP corrupted packets?

3. #9FX Motion 531 Graphics Card

4. Compaq Presario 1700T WinME/RH7.0 WORKING!!!!!!

5. #9 531 Motion

6. Microsoft Computer TAX? Very funny ... :)

7. #9 motion 531 success xf3.1.1

8. Resolv+, Xterm, other ?'s

9. Number Nine FX 531 Motion on X-Windows???

10. XFConfig for #9 Motion 531??

11. #9 Motion 531 at 16bpp 7 24bpp?

12. #9 Motion 531

13. #9 Motion 531 Working Config??