SCSI help!!

Post by Cecilia Di Chi » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I've added a SCSI card on my PC (AHA 1505) after Red Hat 5.2
installation and now my system doesn't recognize it.
I try to add the SCSI module by kernelcfg but there isn't my card.
What can I do?

Thanks a lot and best regards
Cecilia Di Chio

P.S.: My kernel is 2.0.36 and I've not recompiled it.
Selecting a region with the mouse does `copy' automatically

SCSI help!!

Post by Ken Roger » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I've added a SCSI card on my PC (AHA 1505) after Red Hat 5.2
> installation and now my system doesn't recognize it.
> I try to add the SCSI module by kernelcfg but there isn't my card.
> What can I do?

> Thanks a lot and best regards
> Cecilia Di Chio

> P.S.: My kernel is 2.0.36 and I've not recompiled it.
> Selecting a region with the mouse does `copy' automatically

Its an ISA card, old, lousy support, slow, and lacks anything worthwhile
for scsi use. PCI scsi would be a better choice for most any OS.

Ken

SCSI help!!

Post by **Nick Brow » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Its an ISA card, old, lousy support, slow, and lacks anything worthwhile
> for scsi use. PCI scsi would be a better choice for most any OS.

Yes, but it's the card she has.

The 15xx series are indeed not the world's greatest cards.  As far as I
recall, they all (1505/10/20/22) use the same driver, but different
setup programs.  So your first point to try, is to add support for
"Adaptec AHA152X/2825", and check the notes in the kernel config help
about the 1505.

On some of these cards, you can turn off PnP but not change its IRQ
setting.  Despite them having the same basic SCSI chip, there are at
least two DOS-based config programs, 1510CFG.EXE and 1520CFG.EXE.  One
of these (1510CFG, I think, since I think the 1510 is the OEM version of
the card) is very hard to get from Adaptec, but try some "rep surfing"
of Adaptec's help desk in Brussels.  Otherwise, I have it ;-) ;-), and I
_think_ it _may_ work for the 1505.

Let me know how you get on,

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

SCSI help!!

Post by Ron Reaug » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>> Its an ISA card, old, lousy support, slow, and lacks anything worthwhile
>> for scsi use. PCI scsi would be a better choice for most any OS.

>Yes, but it's the card she has.

Right and that's why it should be replaced by a PCI busmastering SCSI
controller like a 2910C.

SCSI help!!

Post by John Thompso » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> >> Its an ISA card, old, lousy support, slow, and lacks anything worthwhile
> >> for scsi use. PCI scsi would be a better choice for most any OS.

> >Yes, but it's the card she has.
> Right and that's why it should be replaced by a PCI busmastering SCSI
> controller like a 2910C.

Assuming, of course, that she has a PCI MoBo to plug it
into...

There are still people using VLB and ISA MoBo's and linux.
There's one right behind me as I type...

--

SCSI help!!

Post by Ken Roger » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > Its an ISA card, old, lousy support, slow, and lacks anything worthwhile
> > for scsi use. PCI scsi would be a better choice for most any OS.

> Yes, but it's the card she has.

> The 15xx series are indeed not the world's greatest cards.  As far as I
> recall, they all (1505/10/20/22) use the same driver, but different
> setup programs.  So your first point to try, is to add support for
> "Adaptec AHA152X/2825", and check the notes in the kernel config help
> about the 1505.

> On some of these cards, you can turn off PnP but not change its IRQ
> setting.  Despite them having the same basic SCSI chip, there are at
> least two DOS-based config programs, 1510CFG.EXE and 1520CFG.EXE.  One
> of these (1510CFG, I think, since I think the 1510 is the OEM version of
> the card) is very hard to get from Adaptec, but try some "rep surfing"
> of Adaptec's help desk in Brussels.  Otherwise, I have it ;-) ;-), and I
> _think_ it _may_ work for the 1505.

> Let me know how you get on,

> --
> Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

> Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
>  http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

Sorry, the card, at best, even with some sort of P&P standard will simply not
work well with todays systems. Plug & Pray is more like it.

SCSI help!!

> > >Yes, but it's the card she has.

> > Right and that's why it should be replaced by a PCI busmastering SCSI
> > controller like a 2910C.

> Assuming, of course, that she has a PCI MoBo to plug it
> into...

> There are still people using VLB and ISA MoBo's and linux.
> There's one right behind me as I type...

> --

That may be so, but you can only go just so far before you find nothing helps. I
doubt that you will ever be able to get very much support for such old things..
If it doesn't work, then what can you do?? Build a better mouse trap, or reinvent
the wheel....???

Ken

SCSI help!!

Post by Jari RenĂ© Jense » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

> I've added a SCSI card on my PC (AHA 1505) after Red Hat 5.2
> installation and now my system doesn't recognize it.

I have the same card (for my CDR). Trying to getting it to work with
Linux, I read some where that the card needs to have a BIOS ( ROM with
firmware ) in order for Linux to work with it. - then my quest ended.

SCSI help!!

Post by David » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

>> I've added a SCSI card on my PC (AHA 1505) after Red Hat 5.2
>> installation and now my system doesn't recognize it.

> I have the same card (for my CDR). Trying to getting it to work with
> Linux, I read some where that the card needs to have a BIOS ( ROM with
> firmware ) in order for Linux to work with it. - then my quest ended.

From what I've read, it needs a BIOS for Linux to auto-detect it.  You
should, however, be able to manually load the driver.  Try using the
"insmod" utility.  You may have to specify the card's configuration via
parameters as well.

(I don't know what those parameters might be.  My 2940UW and 1542B
didn't require any.)

-- David

SCSI help!!

Post by Matado » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello.. I have a 1542CP, I have the bios enable, but I would like to disable
and still get it to work for my CDwriter, as I have it that way for windows,
but to be able to get it to work on LinuxI had to change to enable the bios,
do you have any information about this??
Thanks
Quote:

> (I don't know what those parameters might be.  My 2940UW and 1542B
> didn't require any.)

> -- David

SCSI help!!

Post by David » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hello.. I have a 1542CP, I have the bios enable, but I would like to
> disable and still get it to work for my CDwriter, as I have it that
> way for windows, but to be able to get it to work on LinuxI had to
> change to enable the bios, do you have any information about this??

The "CP" model may be different.  As a plug-n-play device, it will
require either the BIOS or a software driver to cofigure it.

The "B" model I use is configured with jumpers.  Simply running
"insmod aha1542" is enough to locate the card and identify its jumpered
configuration.

Quickly glancing through the aha1542.c source file, I didn't notice any
code to actually configure a pnp card.  Which means the card must be
configured prior to the driver's loading.  I don't know of any way to do
this with the BIOS disabled.

Is there a reason you need to have the BIOS disabled?  It's not used by
Linux after the boot sequence completes.  The only reason I have it
disabled is that the 1542B bios doesn't work when the board is jumpered
for a non-default port address.

-- David

SCSI help!!

Post by Ken Roger » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hello.. I have a 1542CP, I have the bios enable, but I would like to disable
> and still get it to work for my CDwriter, as I have it that way for windows,
> but to be able to get it to work on LinuxI had to change to enable the bios,
> do you have any information about this??
> Thanks

> > (I don't know what those parameters might be.  My 2940UW and 1542B
> > didn't require any.)

> > -- David

For CD writing a 1542CP is a terrible controller to use. In fact ANY 15xx series
controller is not a good choice for any CD writing. Get yourself a decent scsi
controller that would allow you to do ALL the scsi functions, which include CD
writing, hard drive, and most anything else that you would do with scsi.

SCSI help!!

Post by wouter rusma » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

> >> I've added a SCSI card on my PC (AHA 1505) after Red Hat 5.2
> >> installation and now my system doesn't recognize it.

> > I have the same card (for my CDR). Trying to getting it to work with
> > Linux, I read some where that the card needs to have a BIOS ( ROM with
> > firmware ) in order for Linux to work with it. - then my quest ended.

> From what I've read, it needs a BIOS for Linux to auto-detect it.  You
> should, however, be able to manually load the driver.  Try using the
> "insmod" utility.  You may have to specify the card's configuration via
> parameters as well.

> (I don't know what those parameters might be.  My 2940UW and 1542B
> didn't require any.)

> -- David

in /etc/conf.modules write:

alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x
option aha152x aha152x=0x140,12,7
where it is " aha152x=i/o-adress , irq , scsi-id "

it will now scan the bus for devices and map them to the devices in /dev
e.g. /dev/scd0 for a cd-player/writer and  /dev/sda0 for a disk
this works for my ava-1515 which is allmost the same.
it only has a bios, but that doesn't matter here, becuase it is disabled

SCSI help!!

Post by wouter rusma » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

> > I've added a SCSI card on my PC (AHA 1505) after Red Hat 5.2
> > installation and now my system doesn't recognize it.

> I have the same card (for my CDR). Trying to getting it to work with
> Linux, I read some where that the card needs to have a BIOS ( ROM with
> firmware ) in order for Linux to work with it. - then my quest ended.

this is because you'll have to help linux find it...
in /etc/conf.modules type:

alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x
options aha152x aha152x=0x140,12,7

where aha152x=i/o-adress,irq,id

this works fine for my ava-1515 which is more or less the same model
it only has a scsi-bios

succes

SCSI help!!

Post by Eric Wurbe » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> For CD writing a 1542CP is a terrible controller to use. In fact ANY 15xx series
> controller is not a good choice for any CD writing. Get yourself a decent scsi
> controller that would allow you to do ALL the scsi functions, which include CD
> writing, hard drive, and most anything else that you would do with scsi.

Oh yes really ?

My config :
- CDWriter: HP SureStore 3020
- SCSI Card: Adapted 1520
- Linux RedHat 5.1
- 32Mb RAM

With this I can do simultaneously :
- run X11
- run netscape
- run LyX (Latex FrontEnd)
- burn CD (while getting some mail from server e.g., or writing with
LyX,
  or even compile a*document ! yes !).

regards

Eric
--
Eric Wurbel
Laboratoire d'Informatique de Marseille CMI - Universite de Provence

1. SCSI Help please I have read the SCSI How To(Still need help)

I have an 8-bit SCSI board with a parallel socket, it says in the how
to it will not work but, it didnt say it will never work. Could someone
please post more info on patching or cheats. Better still I may be
mis informed and the driver is right there but I have not found out

You must help me as I can not wait to get Linux up and running as my
IDE does not have enough room.

Thank you in advance, I will reply to all mails
--

Ashley Kitto

2. Sound Support for ASUS A7V33 - C-Media CM8738

3. Scsi help (SB16 SCSI-II)

4. Using puTTy

5. SCSI help-- 2.2.6 not seeing any scsi devices

6. Thought I'd share a little good news...

7. Help Linux SCSI help!!

8. Future Domain SCSI/CD-ROM

9. Boot disk hangs after SCSI, HELP!!!

10. SCSI HELP